Data used when no devices connected to modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenS
Freshman

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Can someone help me understand how my data allotment has gone down.  Here's the story.  On the phone with customer service to upgrade my plan and while connected my data usage was being used when doing absolutely nothing on my desktop.  Yes, I understand background services running and so on, but task manager showed zero usage from 2 running programs, 26 background processes and 74 windows processes.  So..customer rep asked me to disconnect cable from desktop and connect wirelessly with a laptop or phone.  I connected phone to wi-fi and he could see the data being used which he said was going and going and going.  Here again I wasn't using the phone for anything, but just letting it sit on my desk.  Now, I keep it connected to my cellular data so there shouldn't have been that much data that needed to update from Hughes.  In all, just being on the phone with customer service I used over 1GB of data with another 800MB being deducted the next day, this being after all devices were disconnected the previous night.  So, the customer rep wanted to do a data deletion process and have me leave all devices disconnected which I did, for several days in fact.  When I checked my data 5 days later (with no devices connected) I had used another 1.1 GB of data. 

I called customer service again and was on the phone with someone who apparently didn't understand what I was trying to accomplish (find out where and what used my data) she talked to advance technical support and told me they wanted to do another data depletion test for only 6 hours this time.  I told her I just wanted to know what device was connected to the modem that had used the additional 1.1 GB of data.  She couldn't give me an answer and I was tired of hearing excuses and told her thank you and I'd call back later.  That has been several days ago and now I have used an additional 115MB of data with no devices connected.  

As an added point, the rep told me that no devices had been connected since the date of the first data depletion test.  How does data leakage occur when no devices are connected to the modem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh yeah, Ref# 114121587 

Sorry for any typos.  lol

65 REPLIES 65
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I sympathise with you, and I know all of this sounds ridiculous to you, but it is part of a systematic approach to solving your problem.  Consider it as stupid as you want, but do it anyway, because it is a necessary step, and a required step.

Something is draining your data during your non-bonus hours, and that something is connecting to your modem, even though you do not see it.  If you follow the steps to begin the troubleshooting, the reps can actually begin helping you.  Otherwise, you will spend a lot of time time in rather interesting speculation, but nothing will get done to find the cause of the issue and to solve it. 

We need to find out what's draining my data, correct?  According to the screenshot I posted, NOTHING is using my bonus data.  Will the screenshot I posted work or do I need the "official" screenshot?  If so, then that's what I'll do.  It is hilarious that my devices are draining my service data and not my bonus data.  12 days and all of my data sucking devices have only used 1MB.  Yes, that is sarcasm.   

Ok, I reconnected LAN to modem.  Opened up Usage meter.  Took screenshot.  Disconnected LAN from modem.  Posted screenshot.  Time disconnected: Aug 7, 2018 @1824Official Usage.PNG 

And this is any different from what I've already done?

GabeU

@KenS wrote:

And this is any different from what I've already done?

Yes, it is different.  The Modem Isolation Test instructions are what they are for a reason, and whether you agree with them or disagree with them doesn't matter.  What matters is performing the test as outlined, as it is the way to move forward with addressing your issue.  

Please also make sure to note the time of disconnect, not just the date.   You can also include the clock from your computer in the screenshot if you wish, as stated.  

I noted the time, did it not show up?

GabeU

@KenS wrote:

I noted the time, did it not show up?

It did.  It wrapped to the bottom left of the snapshot, so I thought what was there was bleed through from another open page behind the Meter.  It is there.  18:24.  

I'm sorry, but what's stupid is that I haven't had anything connected to the modem.  Tech support, mod or whoever should be able to look at the modem and see that nothing has been connected.  If they could answer that simple question (what has been connected) that would be greatly appreciated.  As posted above, I did the required steps.

maratsade

From Gabe's instructions:

4.  Let the modem sit for several hours.  Overnight is good, and that way it would also include both the Anytime and Bonus time periods.

Did you disconnect for several hours? 

I disconnected it at 1824 and plan on leaving it off for several days.  I can check my usage logging into the website and when I notice more data missing I will reconnect the LAN and take another screenshot.

maratsade

Sounds like a plan, Ken. I hope you don't have to wait days, though.  Hopefully you'll notice within 24 hours. 

I disconnected it at 1824 and plan on leaving it off for several days.  I can check my usage logging into the website and when I notice more data missing I will reconnect the LAN and take another screenshot.

Thanks.  This is the reason I've kept everything disconneted for such a long time.  It appears that every couple of days data just disappears.  115MB 4 days ago and then 344MB yesterday.  We'll see what happens. This is why I also have DSL.  DSL speeds suck but no data limits.

Ok, usage meter won't open, even when running as admin so downloading again.  Here is my current download speed.  lolStatus Meter.PNG

Ok, I'm not going to sit here and wait for this to download the HN usage meter.  I'll try again later, but for the good news, I didn't have one MB of plan data used during my abscence.  The somewhat bad news, I used 115 MB of bonus data.  Yes it's not a lot, but it shouldn't have used any since I wasn't connected at all. 

maratsade

Maybe the modem itself used data to run an update on itself.  

Not going to comment on not being able to download the Usage Meter, but I will comment on the hundreds of reasons why you don't have to. I must have repeated myself 100s of times already in this forum on how to fix the Usage Meter not starting. Please do a search.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'm just going to say it like this.  I shouldn't have to "fix" the usage meter, it should work or take it off the page.  Sorry, but I've got better things to do than to search for how to fix something that should work, especially since it just ran before disconnectding the modem.  If this sounds like a smart answer it is exactly how I took your response.  Also, I didn't say it wouldn't download, I said I wasn't waiting for it to download with my 28K/sec download speed.  Not exactly the speed I'm paying for, but I'll assume I should do another search on how to fix my speed issues.  Thank you and have a great day!

GabeU

@KenS

1.  Downloading the meter is unnecessary.  You're only downloading the same thing you already have installed.  The following process should fix your usage meter issue. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Usage-meter-javascript-error/m-p/102690/highlight/tr...

2.  It's not likely that your modem used data to update itself.  As far as I know there are no modem firmware updates going on right now.  

3.  When you post the results of your modem isolation test a rep can verify whether data was used.  

Last week I posted a screenshot of my data usage, not from the status meter but from my account page.  Then I was told that I needed to follow the instructions already posted, which said to download the usage meter and to follow the rest of the steps.  I did exactly that until I couldn't get the status meter to run again.  So now I will post what my usage says.

GabeU

@KenS

The instructions were given for how to fix your HughesNet Usage Meter.  

Going online and signing into the site to get a snapshot of your data takes time and data, which can skew your results.  It needs to be done with the Usage Meter.  If, after following the instructions, your Usage Meter is still not working, please start a new post so that we can figure out why and get it working.  The snapshots need to be of your HughesNet Usage Meter.  

You'll have to forgive me again for not understand.  The usage information that shows up on my account page is different from the "usage meter" I need to download?  As in the screenshot I just posted is not the correct usage? 

GabeU

@KenS

The screenshot you just posted is a single screenshot that has no context.

For the last time, please perform the modem isolation test as shown and asked for numerous times.     

When you do so, you will have two snapshots of the HughesNet Usage Meter.  One when you disconnected, and one when you reconnected.  And again, it would be best for you to include your computer clock in the two snapshots.  You can post both snapshots in the same post, or one right after the other, it doesn't matter, but in the same post is preferable.  

I am working on the issue of getting the status meter to work.  If it worked like it should, I would've had the screenshot posted when I reconnected the modem.