Data used when no devices connected to modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenS
Freshman

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Can someone help me understand how my data allotment has gone down.  Here's the story.  On the phone with customer service to upgrade my plan and while connected my data usage was being used when doing absolutely nothing on my desktop.  Yes, I understand background services running and so on, but task manager showed zero usage from 2 running programs, 26 background processes and 74 windows processes.  So..customer rep asked me to disconnect cable from desktop and connect wirelessly with a laptop or phone.  I connected phone to wi-fi and he could see the data being used which he said was going and going and going.  Here again I wasn't using the phone for anything, but just letting it sit on my desk.  Now, I keep it connected to my cellular data so there shouldn't have been that much data that needed to update from Hughes.  In all, just being on the phone with customer service I used over 1GB of data with another 800MB being deducted the next day, this being after all devices were disconnected the previous night.  So, the customer rep wanted to do a data deletion process and have me leave all devices disconnected which I did, for several days in fact.  When I checked my data 5 days later (with no devices connected) I had used another 1.1 GB of data. 

I called customer service again and was on the phone with someone who apparently didn't understand what I was trying to accomplish (find out where and what used my data) she talked to advance technical support and told me they wanted to do another data depletion test for only 6 hours this time.  I told her I just wanted to know what device was connected to the modem that had used the additional 1.1 GB of data.  She couldn't give me an answer and I was tired of hearing excuses and told her thank you and I'd call back later.  That has been several days ago and now I have used an additional 115MB of data with no devices connected.  

As an added point, the rep told me that no devices had been connected since the date of the first data depletion test.  How does data leakage occur when no devices are connected to the modem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh yeah, Ref# 114121587 

Sorry for any typos.  lol

65 REPLIES 65

Official Usage.PNGOfficial Usage 2.PNGData after.PNG

Here they are.  They last screenshot is from my account and not the usage meter.  The only difference in context I can see is that my usage information gives me an accurate detail down to the MB of data used.  Not so with the usage meter.  Is there something I'm missing? 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS

Please try to fix the Usage Meter with the given instruction.  Please perform the modem isolation test as asked.  Please post the two snapshots of the Usage Meter as instructed, preferably with the computer's clock included in the picture.  

As I already told you, signing in to get the data snapshot on the site takes time and data.  Data going to the site and signing in, then the site refreshing and opening, and time in which data can be used by something else.  

Until that happens I must refrain from any further participation in this thread.  

Is that not what I just did? 

GabeU

@KenS wrote:

Is that not what I just did? 

The snapshots were not showing up in the post at first.  They are now.  But the time from the first snapshot it still needed.  

GabeU

@KenS

What is the time from the first usage meter snapshot?  It would have been better had you gotten the time in the snapshot like you did with the second, but if it can be reconciled with the time it shows that you unplugged the LAN cable in the modem logs the reps will be able to use it.  

Ok, I reconnected LAN to modem.  Opened up Usage meter.  Took screenshot.  Disconnected LAN from modem.  Posted screenshot.  Time disconnected: Aug 7, 2018 @1824Official Usage.PNG

GabeU

@KenS

So you disconnected the LAN cable on 8/7 at 6:24PM.  You reconnected at 1:36PM today (8/15)?  

You had it disconnected for eight days?  Wow.  

Was the modem plugged in during the entire time the LAN cable was disconnected?   

And the WiFi was disabled in the HT2000W modem during this time, correct?  

Yes, that is correct.  I did unplug it prior to running the test because I was told to unplug it due to it might being stuck in an update loop.  Which at the same time erased all of the previous connection history.  I did reconnect yesterday evening for several minutes to run the status meter and post my results, which didn't work out.  It did use approximately 40MB of data because I was trying to download the status meter again.  The bad part is paying for service that I wasn't able to use.  Yes, it was my choice to stay disconnected for so long a period, but at the time of my original post I had used a significant amount of data within 2 days.  My data usage history is noted in all my posts. 

GabeU

@KenS

Wait, so the second snapshot is not from immediately after reconnecting the LAN cable yesterday?  It was from after you had done some additional things, like trying to download the Usage Meter?  

If that's the case, let me ask this, is your Usage Meter working now?  

GabeU

If the above is the case, and I believe it is from what you've described, and if your Usage Meter is working now, please perform the modem isolation test again.  You don't need to do it over days.  Overnight is fine.  

Just like the following, please.

1.  Disabled the WiFi in the HT2000W.  Disabled all four radios, like is explained toward the bottom of my very first post in this thread, which is on the first page.  

2.  Take a snapshot of the Usage Meter, and please include the entire clock (with the date) in the snapshot.  I will give an example below.  

3.  Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  Please note the time, even though you got it in the snapshot.  

4.  Let the modem sit for several hours.  Overnight is preferable.  Keep the power to it plugged in.

5.  Note the time and reconnect the LAN cable.  

6.  Open the Usage Meter and take a snapshot, including the entire clock.

7.  Post the two snapshots in a post.  

The snapshots should look like the following, with the entire clock included.  

Capture.JPG

LOL...So I'll take it that the bonus data used is useless because I reconnected the LAN during the early evening?  I thought the reps could tell what time the LAN was connected and disconnected.  If they checked, they could see that nothing has been connected during the bonus period and perhaps tell me what used my data.  That was the entire purpose of this exercise, was it not?   But no matter,  I will run the test again.  I just want to say this for the record.  When I run the test again and if it shows data leakage, am I going to be told that it's still something on my end or I have someone stealing my wireless (even though all 4 are off).  Why is it so hard to believe that I'm telling the truth on my data usage and what is connected to the modem?  I have yet to hear one rep or engineer tell me that a device is connected, but I've had several people tell me, including you Gabe, that it's my network or some sneaky device sucking data.  It's just like wanting me to have the date and time in the snapshot.  I'm not to be trusted by putting the date and time in myself?  I say this because the rep can see on the status meter how many days I have remaining and know exactly what day it is and I was told they could also see what time the LAN was disconnected.  Anyways, I will do as instructed again.

Yes, the usage meter is working.  I uninstalled program, deleted registry files ect and then reinstalled.  And yes, it was after I had reconnected the LAN cable and tried to download the status meter again.  The reps or tech support should be able to tell exactly how long the cable was connect, which wasn't very long.  And I'm not disputing that data usage.   The next isolation test is going to have to wait.  I've paid for data that I haven't used so I'll continue after it rolls over.  The other problem I have is that running the test for such a short amount of time doesn't address my issue.  As I have stated in other posts, the data leakage just doesn't occur on a single day. 

GabeU

@KenS

Whether you have plan data, Token data, or you are in FAP, the modem isolation test can be performed.  Because the test you ran has been tainted by reconnecting and using data, then not getting the screenshots until the next day, the test is not valid.  As stated, time and time again, the test needs to be done as instructed.  The instructions have been very clearly laid out.  

It's very simple, KenS.  Perform the test as instructed and post the snapshots.  Nearly two weeks of this. 

And I'm now done until that happens.  I'm not answering any more questions as to why this or why that.  The step by step test instructions are clear and easy to follow, and the test itself is very simple.  There should be no reason it's now running on almost two weeks and this simple test has yet to be performed and the results posted.  

Until then, good luck to you.  

This issue can be closed.  As of tomorrow I will no longer be a HN customer.  Smiley LOL   

GabeU

Good luck with your new ISP.  🙂  

Thanks for letting us know, Ken!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

So my possible data leakage is from the modem updating itself?  Why is it counting against me?  I'm not saying that is the reason but shouldn't I have to give my permission to update? And if it's not the reason, there where did the data go?

maratsade

If you really want to make sure no data is used, unplug the modem.  As for why it's counting against you, I'd say that every bit of data used by your network is taken from your allowance.  I'm sure someone will chime in if this is incorrect. 

So my possible data leakage is from the modem updating itself?  Why is it counting against me?  I'm not saying that is the reason but shouldn't I have to give my permission to update? And if it's not the reason, there where did the data go?

Data after.PNG

You'll have to forgive me, but every bit of data is being used by my network?  And just how is that when there has been nothing connected to it.  No LAN cable, wireless radios turned off.  And not to mention, you posted the instructions on how to do the isolation test and I don't recall it saying to unplug the modem.  And I'll be happy to accept that theory when someone can tell me what device was connected to the modem and used up that data.  

maratsade

They cannot see everything that's going on with your network, which is precisely why they need you to run the tests. 

You yourself can see what's connected to the modem using the info from the System Control Center, but if something is connecting some other way (for example, through a 3rd party router), it won't show on the SCC. 

Tech support, mod or whoever should be able to look at the modem and see that nothing has been connected. 
GabeU

@KenS

As stated by Liz and maratsade, the screenshots from the properly performed modem isolation test will be needed to further help with this issue.  You mentioned a LAN connected desktop in your first post.  This would be the device with which to get the screenshots, as it is a LAN connected device, which is what is needed to properly perform a modem isolation test.