cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Freshman

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Can someone help me understand how my data allotment has gone down.  Here's the story.  On the phone with customer service to upgrade my plan and while connected my data usage was being used when doing absolutely nothing on my desktop.  Yes, I understand background services running and so on, but task manager showed zero usage from 2 running programs, 26 background processes and 74 windows processes.  So..customer rep asked me to disconnect cable from desktop and connect wirelessly with a laptop or phone.  I connected phone to wi-fi and he could see the data being used which he said was going and going and going.  Here again I wasn't using the phone for anything, but just letting it sit on my desk.  Now, I keep it connected to my cellular data so there shouldn't have been that much data that needed to update from Hughes.  In all, just being on the phone with customer service I used over 1GB of data with another 800MB being deducted the next day, this being after all devices were disconnected the previous night.  So, the customer rep wanted to do a data deletion process and have me leave all devices disconnected which I did, for several days in fact.  When I checked my data 5 days later (with no devices connected) I had used another 1.1 GB of data. 

I called customer service again and was on the phone with someone who apparently didn't understand what I was trying to accomplish (find out where and what used my data) she talked to advance technical support and told me they wanted to do another data depletion test for only 6 hours this time.  I told her I just wanted to know what device was connected to the modem that had used the additional 1.1 GB of data.  She couldn't give me an answer and I was tired of hearing excuses and told her thank you and I'd call back later.  That has been several days ago and now I have used an additional 115MB of data with no devices connected.  

As an added point, the rep told me that no devices had been connected since the date of the first data depletion test.  How does data leakage occur when no devices are connected to the modem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh yeah, Ref# 114121587 

Sorry for any typos.  lol

65 REPLIES 65
Distinguished Professor I

Re: Data used when no devices connected to modem

The Hughesnet reps will not be here till Monday, but I believe it's likely they will ask you to perform the steps outlined in this post:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/td-p/77194

Freshman

Let me be clear.  There are absolutely no devices connected to the modem and there has not been any device connected for several days but, my anytime data usage has increased.  I'm not sure running tests to try and detect for data leakage would work in this situation because I do not have anything connected to the modem.  The data usage was confirmed by customer service as well as telling me that no device has used any data or been connected to the modem.  And to add, that is the test I first performed on July 27 without actually connecting a device since that time.  The first rep said they noted the amount of data I had remaining on July 27 and the second rep told me that I had used 1.1GB since that time, but had not been connected to the modem.  Also, it is only my alloted data that gets depleted, not one single MB of bonus data.  Does my computer or phone stop using all of these data leaking programs and apps after 2am.

Distinguished Professor I

Yes, I know, but they require certain procedures in order to diagnose a problem.  It's fine if you don't want to do it; but they might ask you to before they can help you.  You can always wait and see what they say next week. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Freshman

I'm sorry but I'm lost.  I did disconnect the LAN cable from the modem as instructed by the customer service representative.  The only thing I didn't do is reconnect in 24 hours.  Isn't the purpose of the test used to determine data leakage?  How can my device leak data when it is not connected to Hughes's network? I'm not trying to be rude but that is my whole issue, service data being used when no device connected. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS

The "Modem Isolation Test", which is the test used to test for data leaks, will determine where the leak lies, as in on the HughesNet side or the device side.  If, when there are no devices are connected via LAN cable AND the WiFi is disabled in the HT2000W modem, data is still being used, it is on the HughesNet side, and they need to look deeper to find out why.  If the leak is happening when you have devices connected, but not when you don't, the leak is connected to the devices, and we'll have to figure out what and why.  

Just out of curiosity, how is it that you were determining that no devices were connected to the HT2000W modem?  I only ask this because people can forget about things that are connected, like gaming consoles, satellite TV receivers, or even tablets.  People often forget about those things being connected, especially if they aren't used on a regular basis.  

To see what is connected to your HT2000W modem, look on the following page...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

Anything that is connnected, or has been connected since the modem was last powered up, will show on that page.  

Again, though, if you are asked to run a modem isolation test by the reps, please make sure to first disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, then disconnect all devices connected via LAN cable.  This will ensure that nothing can connect to the HT2000W modem.  If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see the section titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio individually (so 2.4, then Save Settings, then 2.4 Guest, then Save Settings, then 5, then Save Settings, then 5 Guest, then Save Settings).  Then disconnect your LAN cable connected device that you were using to disable the WiFi, and any other LAN connected devices.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Until you hear from an admin: Try disconnecting the power from the wall, waiting a minute, and plugging it back in. Sometimes the modem gets stuck in an update loop and continually draws.

You can also check the status about 5-10 minutes later by looking at http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status. If the Software Download Status shows a green check mark the modem has been updated. If not, there might be an issue.

It's a longshot, but that might take care of it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

To answer your curiosity about how I know that I wasn't connect to the modem, there are three reasons.  The first is customer support specifically told me that that I did not have any devices connected at that time (while on the phone with customer support) nor did I have any connected for the previous several days (5 I think).  The second is that I also have DSL and have all ancillary devices connected to a second router utilizing the 2.4Ghz band.  The third is that I have only used 1MB of Bonus data since upgrading my plan (July 27).  If I had any devices connected to the modem then I would assume that I would be using data from 2am-8am also and not just from 8am-2am.  Would it not be correct that if I have background services, programs or data leakage from any device that it would also be using bonus data, or do those issues stop at 2am?

Sorry if I sound like I'm being smart but hearing about devices and unknown services using up data gets tiring to hear.  My phone went through 1GB of data in no time, 20 minutes if that (refer to original post) but when connected to my cellular plan I used a max of 11.5GB last month and that is being connected 24/7.  And that is with streaming, youtube, weather, news, FB videos etc..etc  And I'm sure if I was using up that much data Verizon would throttle my speed. 

If I may ask, I'm sure everyone has a cellphone and a data plan with some exceptions so how much data does your phone use?   

Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS wrote: 

Sorry if I sound like I'm being smart but hearing about devices and unknown services using up data gets tiring to hear. 

Your frustration is understandable.  The reason you keep hearing it is because that's normally the cause of this issue.  I say normally, but not always, of course.   

If I may ask, I'm sure everyone has a cellphone and a data plan with some exceptions so how much data does your phone use?   

I use my cell phone exceedingly rarely.  

I do have a question, though.  Do you have the WiFi from both services on at the same time?  If so, do your devices connect to both services using the same WiFi band?    The reason I ask is that WiFi interference can also cause WiFi connected devices to use more data than they normally would.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

That is a negative.  I disabled the 2.4 on the Hughes modem and use that bandwith with the DSL.  I do understand about background data being used but never after 2am it appears.  I use my cellphone throughout the entire day and always have the data connected.  As I said before, the max I've ever used has been 11.5GB in a month, but at the rate it was going when talking to customer service the first time, I would have used that much data in 3 hours.