cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Data used when no devices connected to modem

@r-bkmhn

If you would like help for your individual issue, please start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here... 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@KenS

As stated by Liz and maratsade, the screenshots from the properly performed modem isolation test will be needed to further help with this issue.  You mentioned a LAN connected desktop in your first post.  This would be the device with which to get the screenshots, as it is a LAN connected device, which is what is needed to properly perform a modem isolation test.    

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

We need to find out what's draining my data, correct?  According to the screenshot I posted, NOTHING is using my bonus data.  Will the screenshot I posted work or do I need the "official" screenshot?  If so, then that's what I'll do.  It is hilarious that my devices are draining my service data and not my bonus data.  12 days and all of my data sucking devices have only used 1MB.  Yes, that is sarcasm.   

@KenS

The first step in this process is to perform the modem isolation test as instructed and post the screenshots from that test.  The results of the test will determine the next step to take.  

Distinguished Professor I

I sympathise with you, and I know all of this sounds ridiculous to you, but it is part of a systematic approach to solving your problem.  Consider it as stupid as you want, but do it anyway, because it is a necessary step, and a required step.

Something is draining your data during your non-bonus hours, and that something is connecting to your modem, even though you do not see it.  If you follow the steps to begin the troubleshooting, the reps can actually begin helping you.  Otherwise, you will spend a lot of time time in rather interesting speculation, but nothing will get done to find the cause of the issue and to solve it. 

We need to find out what's draining my data, correct?  According to the screenshot I posted, NOTHING is using my bonus data.  Will the screenshot I posted work or do I need the "official" screenshot?  If so, then that's what I'll do.  It is hilarious that my devices are draining my service data and not my bonus data.  12 days and all of my data sucking devices have only used 1MB.  Yes, that is sarcasm.   

Freshman

Ok, I reconnected LAN to modem.  Opened up Usage meter.  Took screenshot.  Disconnected LAN from modem.  Posted screenshot.  Time disconnected: Aug 7, 2018 @1824Official Usage.PNG 

And this is any different from what I've already done?

Freshman

I'm sorry, but what's stupid is that I haven't had anything connected to the modem.  Tech support, mod or whoever should be able to look at the modem and see that nothing has been connected.  If they could answer that simple question (what has been connected) that would be greatly appreciated.  As posted above, I did the required steps.

From Gabe's instructions:

4.  Let the modem sit for several hours.  Overnight is good, and that way it would also include both the Anytime and Bonus time periods.

Did you disconnect for several hours? 

They cannot see everything that's going on with your network, which is precisely why they need you to run the tests. 

You yourself can see what's connected to the modem using the info from the System Control Center, but if something is connecting some other way (for example, through a 3rd party router), it won't show on the SCC. 

Tech support, mod or whoever should be able to look at the modem and see that nothing has been connected. 

@KenS wrote:

And this is any different from what I've already done?

Yes, it is different.  The Modem Isolation Test instructions are what they are for a reason, and whether you agree with them or disagree with them doesn't matter.  What matters is performing the test as outlined, as it is the way to move forward with addressing your issue.  

Please also make sure to note the time of disconnect, not just the date.   You can also include the clock from your computer in the screenshot if you wish, as stated.