cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Freshman

Re: Data used when no devices connected to modem

No offense Gabe but I know the desktop is connected by a LAN cable but I'm not your average user who doesn't know anything about computers.  I have my DSL modem connected to a 5-port switch that is connected to my printer, ADT and my Netgear router.  My Netgear router is connected to my Dish, Xbox, thermostat and BD player.  The 2.4 Ghz wireless from the netgear is used for visitors and the wife.  I keep my network locked down with WPA2 encryption using 24 characters of upper/lower case letter, numbers and symbols.  This is why it is frustrating to me.  I know what is and isn't connected to the modem.

Freshman

I disconnected it at 1824 and plan on leaving it off for several days.  I can check my usage logging into the website and when I notice more data missing I will reconnect the LAN and take another screenshot.

Freshman

I noted the time, did it not show up?

Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS wrote:

I noted the time, did it not show up?

It did.  It wrapped to the bottom left of the snapshot, so I thought what was there was bleed through from another open page behind the Meter.  It is there.  18:24.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor I

Sounds like a plan, Ken. I hope you don't have to wait days, though.  Hopefully you'll notice within 24 hours. 

I disconnected it at 1824 and plan on leaving it off for several days.  I can check my usage logging into the website and when I notice more data missing I will reconnect the LAN and take another screenshot.

Freshman

Thanks.  This is the reason I've kept everything disconneted for such a long time.  It appears that every couple of days data just disappears.  115MB 4 days ago and then 344MB yesterday.  We'll see what happens. This is why I also have DSL.  DSL speeds suck but no data limits.

Freshman

Ok, usage meter won't open, even when running as admin so downloading again.  Here is my current download speed.  lolStatus Meter.PNG

Freshman

Ok, I'm not going to sit here and wait for this to download the HN usage meter.  I'll try again later, but for the good news, I didn't have one MB of plan data used during my abscence.  The somewhat bad news, I used 115 MB of bonus data.  Yes it's not a lot, but it shouldn't have used any since I wasn't connected at all. 

Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor I

Maybe the modem itself used data to run an update on itself.  

Assistant Professor

Not going to comment on not being able to download the Usage Meter, but I will comment on the hundreds of reasons why you don't have to. I must have repeated myself 100s of times already in this forum on how to fix the Usage Meter not starting. Please do a search.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.