cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Freshman

Re: Data used when no devices connected to modem

I'm just going to say it like this.  I shouldn't have to "fix" the usage meter, it should work or take it off the page.  Sorry, but I've got better things to do than to search for how to fix something that should work, especially since it just ran before disconnectding the modem.  If this sounds like a smart answer it is exactly how I took your response.  Also, I didn't say it wouldn't download, I said I wasn't waiting for it to download with my 28K/sec download speed.  Not exactly the speed I'm paying for, but I'll assume I should do another search on how to fix my speed issues.  Thank you and have a great day!

Freshman

So my possible data leakage is from the modem updating itself?  Why is it counting against me?  I'm not saying that is the reason but shouldn't I have to give my permission to update? And if it's not the reason, there where did the data go?

Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS

1.  Downloading the meter is unnecessary.  You're only downloading the same thing you already have installed.  The following process should fix your usage meter issue. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Usage-meter-javascript-error/m-p/102690/highlight/tr...

2.  It's not likely that your modem used data to update itself.  As far as I know there are no modem firmware updates going on right now.  

3.  When you post the results of your modem isolation test a rep can verify whether data was used.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor I

If you really want to make sure no data is used, unplug the modem.  As for why it's counting against you, I'd say that every bit of data used by your network is taken from your allowance.  I'm sure someone will chime in if this is incorrect. 

So my possible data leakage is from the modem updating itself?  Why is it counting against me?  I'm not saying that is the reason but shouldn't I have to give my permission to update? And if it's not the reason, there where did the data go?

Freshman

Last week I posted a screenshot of my data usage, not from the status meter but from my account page.  Then I was told that I needed to follow the instructions already posted, which said to download the usage meter and to follow the rest of the steps.  I did exactly that until I couldn't get the status meter to run again.  So now I will post what my usage says.

@KenS

The instructions were given for how to fix your HughesNet Usage Meter.  

Going online and signing into the site to get a snapshot of your data takes time and data, which can skew your results.  It needs to be done with the Usage Meter.  If, after following the instructions, your Usage Meter is still not working, please start a new post so that we can figure out why and get it working.  The snapshots need to be of your HughesNet Usage Meter.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Data after.PNG

You'll have to forgive me, but every bit of data is being used by my network?  And just how is that when there has been nothing connected to it.  No LAN cable, wireless radios turned off.  And not to mention, you posted the instructions on how to do the isolation test and I don't recall it saying to unplug the modem.  And I'll be happy to accept that theory when someone can tell me what device was connected to the modem and used up that data.  

Freshman

You'll have to forgive me again for not understand.  The usage information that shows up on my account page is different from the "usage meter" I need to download?  As in the screenshot I just posted is not the correct usage? 

@KenS

The screenshot you just posted is a single screenshot that has no context.

For the last time, please perform the modem isolation test as shown and asked for numerous times.     

When you do so, you will have two snapshots of the HughesNet Usage Meter.  One when you disconnected, and one when you reconnected.  And again, it would be best for you to include your computer clock in the two snapshots.  You can post both snapshots in the same post, or one right after the other, it doesn't matter, but in the same post is preferable.  

Freshman

I am working on the issue of getting the status meter to work.  If it worked like it should, I would've had the screenshot posted when I reconnected the modem.