cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 1 and buffering will not stop - need help canceling service

cynthia7406
New Poster

Day 1 and buffering will not stop - need help canceling service

When I spoke with a sales rep to sign up for service I explained that two people live in the home and we both use our devices a lot.  I work from home all day, plus we don't have cable or satellite tv - we use only streaming services such as YoutubeTV, Netflix, HBOMax, Amazon Prime, etc...  She assured me that their service would be adequate and a 20 gig plan should work fine.

The technician installed the equipment today.  The very first time I tried watching tv it began to buffer almost immediately.  I called customer service and they said to turn on the Video Data Saver feature and to adjust my apps to 480 resolution.  He said that's the only way the service will work for me and the only way I can stay under my service plan limit each month.  After our call I discovered my tv and apps don't even have an option for 480 resolution.  The lowest resolution option is 780.  After turning on the video data saver option, there was still no change.  I called back.  The rep actually told me the sales people are dishonest and will say anything to get people to purchase service.  He literally said "well of course the sales people are going to say the service works well because they want you to sign up".  He also said there's nothing else he can do on his end and that the service is just crappy.  I told him I need to cancel because this obviously isn't going to meet my needs.  He transferred me to a rep to cancel.  I began telling her my situation and she hung up on me.  I called back and talked to another rep.  The connection was HORRIBLE and I could barely catch what she was saying. I asked numerous times to be transferred to another rep in hopes of getting better call quality/clarity.  She hung up on me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cancel this service?  I feel I am totally justified to cancel without an early termination penalty, and to get a refund on the equipment I purchased...but how can this be accomplished when I can't even get a representative to take my call??

HUGELY disappointed and beyond frustrated.  It would be so nice to do business with a company that actually upholds some decent ethical standards, but that seems to be more and more of a dream these days than a reality. Seriously considering taking legal action.

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Day 1 and buffering will not stop - need help canceling service

Cancellation can only be done by phone, 866-347-3292.  You will need to work with the techs here to try to improve your system. Without that, the ETF will be valid.  If you work with them and they can't fix your system, they will work with you on the ETF. 

In any case, wait until the reps here reply to your post. They may have other suggestions/ideas.  They typically answer within 48 hours. 

GabeU

@cynthia7406 

You can request a sales call review.  Depending on what's heard in the call, as in whether the rep set appropriate expectations, you may have recourse.  A sales call review can take up to a week to complete, but it may very well be worth your while to request it.   

You can request the review in a reply.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
cynthia7406
New Poster

I'm not quite sure how I can work with a rep to help resolve system issues when they keep disconnecting my call. A disconnection once could be understandable, but when it happens multiple times to multiple people (as noted here in the community) especially when the rep's suggestions don't appear to be working, then evidence reports to the rep purposely hanging up on customers versus calls being accidentally disconnected.

Ridiculous.

maratsade

Cynthia, your frustration is understandable. My post referred two two distinct things, though: one was cancellation, for which you need to call the specified number. 

As for "working with the techs," for best results you will need to that here, on this site.  It works by you posting your issue and the HughesNet reps on this site responding and guiding you through troubleshooting steps. If you have worked with the reps on this site and nothing is improved, they are willing to work something out in terms of the cancellation charges. 

In your original post you wrote: "When I spoke with a sales rep to sign up for service I explained that two people live in the home and we both use our devices a lot.  I work from home all day, plus we don't have cable or satellite tv - we use only streaming services such as YoutubeTV, Netflix, HBOMax, Amazon Prime, etc...  She assured me that their service would be adequate and a 20 gig plan should work fine."

This is why you may want to ask for a sales call review. The sales call is recorded, and the reps on this site can pull it (it's available for a few months) and listen to both sides of the conversation.  That may be of benefit to you. 

Hopefully you will either request a sales call review, which you do here by posting that you would like a sales call review and explaining your reasons, or you will request assistance with your current issues.  If you would rather just cancel directly, you will need to call the phone number. 

GabeU

@cynthia7406 

Regarding the sales call review suggestion, you're running out of time and any chance of recourse that might be available to you based on its results.  As maratsade stated, these calls are only available for review for a few months.  It's been a little over two months since you first created this topic, so if you plan on requesting the review, I would do it soon.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
cynthia7406
New Poster

Thanks for the details.  I would definitely like to request a sales call review, please.  I would have done this sooner but was out of pocket for several weeks due to covid.

In the meantime, is there anything that can be done to help improve my speed?  I purchased an ethernet cable to connect to the box directly, but it doesn't seem to help.  And when I connect with VPN for work, I cannot work at all - the connection is too slow to allow me to perform vital job functions...which is a huge problem since I work from home.

When my phone is connected to Hughesnet the connection is so painfully slow.  Webpages often time out before they can load and I can't even view most gifs.  I also have a chromebook that cannot connect to HughesNet - I keep getting an error saying the network is out of range.  I live in a tiny cabin that's not even 600 square feet.

Tags (1)
GabeU

@cynthia7406 

To ensure that the HughesNet reps see your request for the sales call review, I recommend starting a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section asking for the review, as it concerns the service itself, not not technical issues you're experiencing.  Make sure to specify the reason you're asking for it, as in the what you said you planned to use the service for and them saying that it would work for your streaming needs.  i.e. what you posted in your first post of this topic.  

Regarding the slow service when you connect to your work, this may very well be due to the VPN.  Unfortunately, speed often takes a hit when using a VPN with HughesNet.  As for your phone timing out, that shouldn't be happening.  The reps may want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to make sure everything is working as it should as a starting point for troubleshooting the issue.  Hopefully they reply soon.  

Regarding the range message you keep getting, if your Chromebook is connected via the 5GHz band see if you can instead connect it to the 2.4GHz band.  The 2.4GHz band has better range.