cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depleated usage in 2 and 1/2 days

Depleated usage in 2 and 1/2 days

My lights are going crazy even after turning my PC off. Pages dont load or are slow, I use ebay and such. Something happened with my usage on the 16 th at 9 pm hour and the bars are now max out - what is going on? They told me I needed screen shots, I have them - with know were to upload them. 6 years and this is a 1st - and they act like i am using it on the phone, sent me here.
6 REPLIES 6
Assistant Professor

Re: Depleated usage in 2 and 1/2 days

jlisa001, are you using a router? What happens when you unplug the LAN cable from the back of the modem, do the lights continue to flash?

Also, try plugging the computer directly into the modem, no router. Not in FAP mode are you? Boxes green at top of page here:  http://192.168.0.1/ ?

Are you using Windows 10?

When you post there is a camera icon to upload images:

Hi Yes i do for a laptop - How ever it has been unhooked and the used is still being used. I was locked out of my email for spamming and had to call HN they reset it for me on the 16th. I received 3 more email returned as soon as i got off the phone today with HN.. If i get another one I am calling them back - I check my ussaged often on the 16th durning the day we had 93% today @ 9am we had 22% then lost 1% while looking at the same page  ( my usage ) below see the change at 9pm
y
Assistant Professor

They can tell from the modem logs if data was drained when nothing was plunged into the LAN port on the modem. Has the modem remained powered on since this occurred?

Are you saying the data was drained when nothing was plugged into the modem?

Will be Monday morning before an Official Rep will be here to help. Here is the test you most likely will be asked to perform (click to enlarge):

The lan was unpluged for 2 hours, she said there was no use, I dont know what is going on - I am now down to 20% and all i have done was check my ebay and email to talk with you. On the 16th befor 9 pm - that is my normal usage. - some of the bars that are maxed out are  are when there was not even a computer on, once i get done sending you a message i close all my window. We have never in 6 years used like this, and to be down this much in 2 and 1/2 days something is not right. I even asked her to see what sites we were on and she said she can, while on the phone with her - it took 2 min. for my dashboard to pull up. 1 out of 4 tries that is, it keep saying server not found.
Assistant Professor

Are you using Windows 10? Do you regularly run virus and malware checkers? If you open Task Manager you can see if something is using significant amounts of network data:

Hi jlisa

When you unplug your computer, are you taking it off a router or a modem? That is a LOT of data usage consistently and looks like maybe it might be hooked up to your Dish or DirecTV, maybe even a Smart TV of some type. Do you have anything like that in the home? Let me know - I am sure we can narrow this down.

Thanks
Amanda