cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirecTV Now - Any Realworld Experiences?

Sophomore

DirecTV Now - Any Realworld Experiences?

Wondering if anyone has any real world experience using DirecTV NOW (Streaming) over hughesnet.  Note that hughesnet is NOT my primary bandwidth provider, but a backup.  I'm more curious if it works (I know it will eat up data caps quickly).  the latency shouldnt be an issue, but the incosistency of D/L speed seems like it couold be troubling.

Anyone out there with real world experience with direcTV Now or SlingTV?

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: DirecTV Now - Any Realworld Experiences?

@tracerrx

I don't have DirecTV Now, but I do have DirecTV, and I have tried streaming directly from them, which worked without issue.  But, with that said, I've only tried it a few times, and just as a test for a few minutes each time, not as something done on a regular basis.  

I don't know if this helps at all, but I imagine that DirecTV's direct streaming and DirecTV Now use the same servers, so my experience may be at least somewhat applicable.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

No experience with it but is one of the sites that PlayOn Cloud supports. I've been trying it out with Amazon Prime video and Netflix and works really well. The nice thing is you set it to record to the cloud server so buffering is not an issue, then you can download the recording during Bonus time hours or whenever you want.

Will be additional cost of 20 cents minimum per recording but may be worth it if watching the program live is not a necessity.

Here is thread where a few of us have been discussing it: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/General-Discussion/PlayOn-Cloud/td-p/107801

Sophomore

@GabeU

From my understanding DirecTV NOW, DirecTV On Demand, and DirecTV Streaming (Beta) all use different servers and video compression technologies.

Sophomore

@BirdDog

Thanks for the tip... I had never heard of PlayOn but will def check it out!

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@tracerrx wrote:

@GabeU

From my understanding DirecTV NOW, DirecTV On Demand, and DirecTV Streaming (Beta) all use different servers and video compression technologies. 

I can't speak for the On Demand service used by the receivers, but from what I've read DirecTV Now and DirecTV streaming use the same servers.  Evidently they used to have different servers, but they have been merging the source of the two services.  

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-has-completed-the-directv-now-directv-streaming-merger/

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi folks, 

Just going to close this thread since it has been inactive.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->