Disapearing data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bob145
New Poster

Disapearing data

I have contacted HughesNet via "live chat" as well as by phone (only to be disconnected).  Our usage according to HughesNet is far beyond what we are actually using.  Withiout downloading any content whatsoever, our usage (according to HughesNet) is over 5 Gigabytes per day.  Ther is no way that we can download that much!  We do not stream anything on our computer, no music, no movies and no news.  The only thing we do use our browser for is for research, a few websites like weight watchers and our monthly bill paying activities.  We have been unable to get any help from HughesNet about this ongoing problem - it has persisted for a couple of months now.  Either the equipment is faulty or someone is "tapping" into our service without our knowledge or approval. 

Any one else having similar issues with any good results??

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bob145 

Very often devices can start using data that we aren't aware of, and for various reasons.  It's entirely possible for even a single computer to use that much data and more, depending on what it's doing.  

If you can tell us what devices you have connected to HughesNet, we can help you to prevent excessive data usage, and by not only settings adjustments, but apps and/or programs that can help to save and also tell you just what's using data on the device.  Not any specifics, but for an arbitrary example, "two Windows 10 laptops, an iPhone, an Android phone and an Android tablet".  Just in case, this page can tell you what you currently have connected, and what was connected, but is no longer, to your HughesNet HT2000W modem since the last it was plugged in.  People can forget, or maybe even not be aware of, devices that are connected, so it's best to provide that page.  

In the meantime, this post and this post may also help to give an idea of what could be going on, and how to prevent it.

A couple of things that can use a lot of data are cloud connections and a connected satellite TV receiver.  The latter can use a lot of data, and with no way to control it, so HughesNet recommends against connecting one.  I don't know that you have one, but again, it's one of the most common culprits, so I mention it just in case. 

Lastly, if you have Windows computers connected, Glasswire is a free program that will tell you not only how much data your computer is using, but also just what's using it.  There's also a version for Android phones, though I haven't tried it.  That version is near the bottom of the linked page.

wentcountry00
New Poster

YES  we have had Hughes Net now for several years and and the deta is dissapearing faster and faster every month our deta has even went down with no one home and pc turned off. i am really very close to being finshed with hughes net we do live in the boonedocks so our chooses are slim but im am really tired of being ripped off every month

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wentcountry00 wrote:

our deta has even went down with no one home and pc turned off.  

In this case, you should start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here, so that your issue and the OP's issue can be kept separate for troubleshooting purposes. 

Edited.

Liz

Good morning Bob,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Hopefully Gabe's advice helped. If you still have concerns, feel free to drop by again.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!