Hughesnet Community

Disappearing data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottrenee

Disappearing data

This is my third month with hughesnet. The second month, all of my anytime date (10gb) was used up within 24 hours of the new billing cycle. After NUMEROUS calls to customer service nothing has been resolved. Twice they had me unplug the router to see if data was being used when LAN was disconnected. Did that, called back. Was basically told it has to be one of my devices using it (as they said the majority of up&download usage was between 12am-8am normally.) That's all great, except since this happened the two laptops and one desktop and router stay TURNED OFF unless we absolutely have to use one, which barely works. Yet there is still data being used. And yes, the network is encrypted and private. I need to know what phantom is using this data or I'll pay the early termination fee because I'm not paying for a service that I literally can not even use. I am attaching the modem tests, and as you can see even with the modem on but LAN unplugged there is some data being used, which it should zero, times are in the upper right corner. Unplugged at 1pm, back in at about 6:30.
11 REPLIES 11
scottrenee

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

you will see a very small amount of data used even if the lan is unhooked, its caused by the modem talking to the satellite, you might try installing glasswire on each computer and it will show you whats using data and how much but only works on windows operating systems
Liz

Hi scottrenee,

Welcome and thanks for posting! As Charles suggested, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data.

Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

If you like, you can rule out the HughesNet modem as a source of your unidentified data by following these steps: Please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

scottrenee

@Liz,

The screenshots I posted are of the suggested modem test.

@Charles,

From my understanding the usual chatter isn't supposed to use any data? From reading other posts am I supposed to run glasswire with my device hooked directly into the modem and not via Wi-Fi? And for how long should I do this, over a 24 hour period per device?
scottrenee

Also, here is what my Lenovo is tracking for data usage over the past 30 days...
Liz

Hi scottrenee,

Thank you. I was looking for shots of the gauge and not the historical chart, like this:

Regardless, in the shots you provided, there isn't any significant usage that would indicate an issue with the HughesNet modem. A bit of data is expected to be used between the time the modem is reconnected and the screenshot taken. Alternatively, the bit of data usage may be data used just before the disconnect, and catching up and registering in on the meter. 

GlassWire only provides information about the usage from the computer on which it is installed, there is no GlassWire app for mobile devices. 

You can keep GlassWire running indefinitely on your machine so that you will always have a historical record of what exactly has been using your data. This will help prevent any surprise downloads from your computer down the line. If GlassWire doesn't show any large spikes in data while you're investigating an unexpected drain, then you can rule out that computer and focus on your other network devices.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

scottrenee,

The screenshots you have posted are "History" displays.

What is needed are screenshots of your "fuel gauge" at tow points. Just at the time of disconnect and immediately at the point of reconnect along with the times of those occurrences.

To clarify, there are THREE  "usage meters" available to you:

#1: The download Status Meter

The Download Status Meter is a utility that is available for download from the myAccount page.

Once downloaded and installed it will reside on your computer systray at the lower right corner.

It displays the amount of data that you have used up to the point of the screenshot.

It has a "resolution" of .1 GB (100 MB) and will round to the nearest 50 MB

#2: SCC usage meter:

The SCC meter resides inside your modem. It displays data used and data remaining in all three "data buckets": Anytime (8am to 2am), Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am) and Token Data.

The SCC meter may be accessed by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

#3: myAccount Usage Meter:

This meter is found after logging in at: http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

This is the most accurate of the three meters, reading down to a single MB but it does require that you have a browser actively connected to the internet and data can be used while logging in

All of the above meters are acceptable but #1, the Download Status Meter is likely the most convenient.

This is a graphic depicting the Modem Isolation Test:

What it is asking you to do is to document (through a screenshot) the amount of "fuel" you have remaining and to note the exact time:

Example:

Disconnect 1/17/17 at 3:10PM

And at that time disconnect the Modems LAN cable while at the same time leaving the modem powered up.

That will be the cable with the red arrow on this rear view of the modem:

Leave the LAN Ethernet cable disconnected for any period that is convent for you. Perhaps overnight?

You have to this point taken evidence of your remaining "fuel" in the form of MB, noted the time and made it impossible for any of your networked equipment to access the Internet and use data.

The modem is "isolated" any "fuel burn" has to be the result of the Modem .. other than a small amount due to "reporting lag".

And the end of the isolation period reconnect the LAN Ethernet cable to the rear of the modem and immediately open the Download Status Meter and take another screenshot and again note the exact time:

Example:

Reconnect 1/17/17 at 11:59PM:

You would then compare one "fuel" reading to the other.

If data was used other than a minor amount due to meter catch up then you need to promptly post both screenshots as well as the disconnect/reconnect time here in your topic.

It is important that you leave the modem powered up as the Mods will need to validate your disconnect period by accessing you modems internal logs.

scottrenee

Given what the history Mercer is saying, between the 16th and the 17th over 12 gigs were used, more than our anytime allowance so getting on glasswire now to download anything isnt possible. Also, let me note that I only used to internet for maybe 20 minutes to send an email during that time and my fiance maybe sent 3 or 4 work emails and after that we both completely shut down our computers, and we both use our unlimited data phone plans. This is insane...will be calling in the morning to cancel this "service" that we can't even use. Not that it matters but here are the gauges I had taken from my phone.
Liz

Good morning scottrenee,

I'm sorry we do not have historical data on what used your data, this is why we suggest using GlassWire. Should you change your mind, I've sent you complimentary tokens to get GlassWire, otherwise, good luck with your future ISP.

-Liz

scottrenee

My apologies in not responding earlier, I had a doctor's appointment...I will speak with my fiance regarding how to handle this from here (as his company pays for the internet and is insisting we cancel with everything that has been going on over the past 2 months). I did speak with him about it yesterday when he couldnt even access his emails. We both confirmed that we have auto updates turned off, metered data connection turned on, no phones connected, wireless printer and laptops and Mac desktop stays off when not in use so we are thoroughly bewildered at what is draining the data when we accidentally leave the LAN plugged in. I sincerely appreciate your help!! And will know by this evening what he says the company has instructed him to do.
Liz

No worries. If you stick with us, you have the tokens available so you can regain normal speeds and download GlassWire to show you all your data usage on whatever computer it's installed on moving forward. Otherwise, you may call us to cancel at 866.347.3292.

Thanks,
Liz