cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing data!

Disappearing data!

Data is just flying out the door! Disconnected modem for several hours and confirmed that data is being removed by other source, now just waiting for Hughesnet to resolve this problem.  Have been a customer for 3 months now and have had this problem from the start. Not happy at all with Hughesnet!  Class action suit anyone?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Disappearing data!

Good morning stevenbg,

Thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Good job on already taking the first step in localizing the source of your data usage by eliminating the HughesNet modem. So the source of your data usage is something on your network. I would suggest adding one component at a time to see if you notice significant usage, for example, start by plugging one computer in directly to the modem and monitor your data. Then you could add your router and monitor, and so on.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data to help you find the culprit(s):

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

This canned response is ridiculous.  He unplugged the modem and the data is still disappearing.  
Associate Professor

Good Morning Bonnie,

Thank you for your post, Hughesnet wants to address your concerns.  Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data to help you find the culprit(s):

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Thanks,
Charles

Unreal.  I have no Netflix or other streaming services, no smart TV or refridgerator, I control all the updates on any computer connected to Hughesnet and only do it during bonus period.  I ONLY have my phone or tablet logged into Hughesnet during bonus period.  I play minimal Facebook games (and yes I have disabled the auto-play video feature) but for the last month have barely been able to do those because they will not load.  I have a new router, have rebooted the system I don't know how many times, tried directly connecting the modem to my main computer, etc.  Still the same issues with FB.  However, my main problem is that for months now I am eating through data like crazy and have to purchase additional 2GB several times each  month.  I thought I was nuts but after reading through many of the comments on this site, I have concluded that there is some kind of issue going on.

Hi Bonnie,

You are very right - there is an issue going on. Many people do not know what kinds of things eat up their bandwidth and with the latest Windows Operating System that released, things are getting worse. We understand some may have done this test already, however if we want to prove there is an issue with HughesNet we need the screenshots to take to our engineers. Otherwise, we have no evidence and are back at square one. So far after the couple of years we've been trying this, we haven't been able to solidly say that with the modem unplugged the data is being lost, so its hard to say its HughesNet's fault.

Thanks,
Amanda
Assistant Professor

If on the lowest 5 GB Anytime plan that means you can average only 166 MB per day for the month. That is not much with all the ads, high resolution pictures and automatic videos on web pages today. Ad blocker plug-in must be installed on browsers, there are also ones for Flash and HTML5 videos. Facebook is a known data hog.