cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed since day one. Slow even before I reach data limits

Highlighted
New Poster

Disappointed since day one. Slow even before I reach data limits

I have not been able to successfully stream a video without several minutes of buffering. I am not able to use FB or other social media without buffering. Even before I reach data limit which is reached in 5 days typically. I’m not sure how HughesNet sees it’s self as living up to its end of the deal.
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Disappointed since day one. Slow even before I reach data limits

@jakethomas 

Have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver to see if it helps wth the buffering?  

If that makes no difference, and in order to determine whether speed is the issue, please perform some speed tests using the following protocol.  Please first ensure that you are not out of data, as running the tests while out of data and in a throttled state won't help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy Results page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 3MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

They sell you a data package; how you use it is on you. If you're running out of data in 5 days it's because you're not budgeting it so it will last you for the entire month.  They can't budget data for you. 

10GB package -- 0.33 MB per day max
20GB package  -- 0.66 MB per day max
30GB  package -- 1 GB per day max
50GB package  -- 1.6 per day max

If you add the Bonus Bytes, those figures double. But even so, it's not a lot of data per day, so it's easy to run out,especially with data-intensive activities like streaming. 

akethomas wrote:
I have not been able to successfully stream a video without several minutes of buffering. I am not able to use FB or other social media without buffering. Even before I reach data limit which is reached in 5 days typically. 

New Poster

I’ll try this once my data has replenished. I still have a hard time seeing how the data runs out so quickly especially since I am unable to stream in the first place. I will give it a shot in a few weeks. I wonder how often customers want to jump through all of the hoops for what seems to be subpar customer service.
Distinguished Professor IV

@jakethomas 

Customers "jump through all of the hoops" when they're actually looking to resolve an issue they're experiencing.  Fixing a problem is impossible without first knowing the cause.

As for your data usage issues, if you can tell us what devices you use with HughesNet we may be able to tell you where to look in order to figure out why so much is being used.  And how much do you actually stream, regardless of the buffering?  Streaming can use up to 3GB or more per hour of video.

For the sake of redundancy, you can see what devices are connected to the HughesNet modem, and what devices were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the modem was plugged in, here.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit