Discovery+ Not Working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GhostLite
New Poster

Discovery+ Not Working

We have had Hughesnet for a few days now and still getting used to the speed change from FIOS.. One complaint we do have is that Discovery+ does not work. We have tried it on my computer, firestick, and Xbox, and it will not load shows, or buffers every couple of seconds. 

Does anyone have any solutions?

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Have you tried pausing the Video Data Saver?  Not sure whether this will work, but it's worth a try, but keep in mind that pausing the VDS means your system will use more data and you will run out of your monthly allowance sooner. 

EDIT:  I would also suggest you consider satellite TV if you want to watch TV without issues. Satellite internet is far from ideal for streaming and watching TV; you'd be better off with satellite TV for that, as it works differently than satellite internet, has no buffering and doesn't use your data. 

Not sure how many people have this same issue, but satellite internet is the only internet service available in my area. We tried the video saver but it did not seem to make a difference. 

This might be something we need to test with a hardline to the device. Not sure if that would help.

maratsade

Try connecting your device to the modem with a LAN cable. 

Do you have the same issue if you watch Discovery on the web, via a browser?

Satellite internet is not ideal for live TV.  You may need to consider satellite TV. 

We did the LAN cable, no change, and it is the same on the computer. We are not watching Live TV but streaming it. Taking off the video data saver did not seem to help either.

maratsade

Did you test watching using a web browser? EDIT: looks like you did and it didn't work well either. 

Satellite internet is not ideal for streaming; the performance can be a little wonky. This has to do with latency and congestion which can't really be helped.  It's not impossible, and it works for some, but it's not consistent. 

GabeU

With Discovery + being fairly new in the US, I don't recall having seen anything mentioned in this Community yet about it.  That's doesn't mean it hasn't been, but only that I haven't seen it, or at least don't recall seeing it.  

I wonder if Discovery+ is really sensitive to the higher latency.  I remember that Disney+ was problematic, but I don't know if that's now working better than it initially was.