Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish fell off the house

Highlighted
Junior

Dish fell off the house

Hello,

We had a freak snow/windstorm event. About 7 inches of fresh now and 45/50mph wind gusts. After months to get a tech up here multiple times to chronically fix the dish position I called our local Hughes installer told him the issues and he helped me reinstall and repoint the dish in less than 45 min. Prior to the repoint and alignment our phone was dropping calls, the internet was hit and miss and equipment was burning out. Our signal prior to the repoint was about 100 we were able to get it up to 119-121. Long story short our internet works, even when our data is depleted it’s still hooking over 1mbps down and up to 3 mbps up (the BEST we have ever had) when I called the tech support to verify that everything was in the green the tech put data on to test and I ran on on my side 18mbps THE FASTEST it has ever been! Our internet was always slow and impossible to do anything with, but our local guy was amazing and we didn’t have to go through the hassle of being put on hold for 3 hours! Now I am concerned this will happen again because the dish has had chronic failures because of where it’s mounted. I pay for the insurance but still can’t figure out why Hughes won’t give me a permanent resolution rather than endless bandaid fixes. Does anyone have any ideas?
Tags (3)
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Dish fell off the house

My first concern goes straight to two different things...  It sounds like you have a roof mount?  If it is mounted on the roof, what's the integrity of the roof like?  Are the lag bolts pulling up?  From what I remember, the installer should try to bolt the arms into the joists.   If it's on the side of the home, what kind of material is it bolted to? Brick? Wood? 

The next thing that comes to mind is, are the bolts for aligning and holding that alignment tightened down securely?  These dishes and mounts are designed for ~80MPH winds if I remember correctly, however, if there is enough vibration due to something not being tight enough, things will work loose at lower wind speeds.

Highlighted
Junior

Thanks for the response. The dish is mounted on the side of the house. The house is very old. When they installed the first time I wanted them to install on the roof as it was brand new, and the 2x8’s could handle the lag bolts. Instead they mounted where they did and have since snapped the 2x4 studs. The dish will continue to fail where it’s located. I’m way out in the middle of nowhere so it’s extremely hard to get anyone out here.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

It shouldn't be snapping 2x4's of any age in the structure...  Tomorrow, hopefully one of the Reps will respond and can setup a truck roll for a dish relocation for you, possibly on a poll.  If the studs are loose in the wall and not supporting the weight of the dish anymore then you will continue to have this issue when you get high winds, till it is relocated.

Highlighted
Junior

Thank you, the house is around 60 years old. I’m worried because during the remodel I saw the lag bolts **bleep** the studs. I added new studs right next to the existing to brace the wall. Even if they could move the dish up 4 feet it would have two times the support. I can not believe the difference in service quality after the realignment was complete. If it worked this good 24/7 I’d have no major issues. I’m just fed up with the endless calls to tech support every time the wind blows. I was very grateful for our local retailer today because he walked us through the entire issue with no long wait or being bounced from department to department.

Rob
Highlighted

Good morning Robp1, 

Thanks for reaching out, I'd like to help. I've created a dispatch instructing the assigned local tech to move your dish to a pole mount. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to schedule it to your convenience. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Junior

Thank you Liz I will update, as soon as they get it fixed.
Highlighted

From your post, it sounds like you've found a good tech company   I would call them directly, and not go through Hughes.  

I'm a big believer in not putting anything up on my roof.  Just a leak waiting to happen IMO, and I also think it may be more vulnerable to wind damage.  I prefer to have the dish on a metal pole in my yard.  Sometime ago a EMT vehicle backed over my dish, and I had to replace my dish, pole, and modem.  The coax had been cut also, and since it had been spliced twice before, I had them replace the whole coax run.  If I remember correctly, the bill was about $350. YMMV.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

From your post, it sounds like you've found a good tech company   I would call them directly, and not go through Hughes. "

This is bad advice, as whoever works on Hughes equipment has to be licensed by Hughes and they're the ones who should dispatch technicians.   

You can do anything you want with your own equipment, but telling others to do the same is irresponsible. 

Highlighted

@maratsade wrote:

From your post, it sounds like you've found a good tech company   I would call them directly, and not go through Hughes. "

This is bad advice, as whoever works on Hughes equipment has to be licensed by Hughes and they're the ones who should dispatch technicians.   

You can do anything you want with your own equipment, but telling others to do the same is irresponsible. 

IMO it's never irresponsible to give people the best advice you have, based on your own experiences.  In reading the OPs post, I assumed the tech was licensed to work on Hughes equipment since he referred to him as  "our local Hughes installer".  Where are all of these unlicensed tech companies, just waiting to prey on the poor unsuspecting Hughes user anyway?  I've never encountered one! 

Since he obviously liked their work, I advised him to keep using them.  You do NOT have to let any provider choose who works on YOUR equipment,  as long as they are licensed to do so, and they also don't have to be dispatched by ANYONE other than yourself.

Well, I guess I'm guilty of using a unlicensed tech one time.  I had run over my Hughes coax with a rototiller, and he, being a friend, came over and fixed it for free,  What's Hughes going to do, confiscate my equipment?  It was long out of warranty

After all the bad experiences  I had with provider dispatched tech companies,  I finally found a good local company that hadn't been chosen by either DirecTV, DishTV, or Hughes to do their original installations. BTW they are licensed to work on about anything,  and do excellent work. Whenever I have a problem, I don't call anyone else but them, and eliminate the middleman.  I've been doing this for years with great results.  Thus my advice.