cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robp1
Junior

Dish fell off the house

Hello,

We had a freak snow/windstorm event. About 7 inches of fresh now and 45/50mph wind gusts. After months to get a tech up here multiple times to chronically fix the dish position I called our local Hughes installer told him the issues and he helped me reinstall and repoint the dish in less than 45 min. Prior to the repoint and alignment our phone was dropping calls, the internet was hit and miss and equipment was burning out. Our signal prior to the repoint was about 100 we were able to get it up to 119-121. Long story short our internet works, even when our data is depleted it’s still hooking over 1mbps down and up to 3 mbps up (the BEST we have ever had) when I called the tech support to verify that everything was in the green the tech put data on to test and I ran on on my side 18mbps THE FASTEST it has ever been! Our internet was always slow and impossible to do anything with, but our local guy was amazing and we didn’t have to go through the hassle of being put on hold for 3 hours! Now I am concerned this will happen again because the dish has had chronic failures because of where it’s mounted. I pay for the insurance but still can’t figure out why Hughes won’t give me a permanent resolution rather than endless bandaid fixes. Does anyone have any ideas?
30 REPLIES 30
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

My first concern goes straight to two different things...  It sounds like you have a roof mount?  If it is mounted on the roof, what's the integrity of the roof like?  Are the lag bolts pulling up?  From what I remember, the installer should try to bolt the arms into the joists.   If it's on the side of the home, what kind of material is it bolted to? Brick? Wood? 

The next thing that comes to mind is, are the bolts for aligning and holding that alignment tightened down securely?  These dishes and mounts are designed for ~80MPH winds if I remember correctly, however, if there is enough vibration due to something not being tight enough, things will work loose at lower wind speeds.

Thanks for the response. The dish is mounted on the side of the house. The house is very old. When they installed the first time I wanted them to install on the roof as it was brand new, and the 2x8’s could handle the lag bolts. Instead they mounted where they did and have since snapped the 2x4 studs. The dish will continue to fail where it’s located. I’m way out in the middle of nowhere so it’s extremely hard to get anyone out here.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It shouldn't be snapping 2x4's of any age in the structure...  Tomorrow, hopefully one of the Reps will respond and can setup a truck roll for a dish relocation for you, possibly on a poll.  If the studs are loose in the wall and not supporting the weight of the dish anymore then you will continue to have this issue when you get high winds, till it is relocated.

Thank you, the house is around 60 years old. I’m worried because during the remodel I saw the lag bolts **bleep** the studs. I added new studs right next to the existing to brace the wall. Even if they could move the dish up 4 feet it would have two times the support. I can not believe the difference in service quality after the realignment was complete. If it worked this good 24/7 I’d have no major issues. I’m just fed up with the endless calls to tech support every time the wind blows. I was very grateful for our local retailer today because he walked us through the entire issue with no long wait or being bounced from department to department.

Rob
Liz

Good morning Robp1, 

Thanks for reaching out, I'd like to help. I've created a dispatch instructing the assigned local tech to move your dish to a pole mount. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to schedule it to your convenience. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz I will update, as soon as they get it fixed.

So we don't further derail Rob's thread here, if anyone needs a tech, everyone needs to call 866.347.3292 to troubleshoot and determine whether a site visit is necessary. Only HughesNet agents can create work orders in our system for techs to go onsite.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz the techs still have not contacted me. I will clarify however the Tech that walked me through the process is a Hughes rep and has been selling and installing our systems for 20 years. I will also state, since he walked me through the repair process our speeds and service have stabilized! The Dish will fail again unless it gets permanently mounted.

Good morning Rob,

I just pulled up your account and it looks like they've already confirmed an appointment with you last night?

Install Date = 10/05/2019 PM (14:00-17:00)

The tech came out last night and said the the dish had been improperly installed again. He moved us to a different satellite, added the correct mounting bolts and screws, and got the system back online. The signal is lower but more stable. Our phone had some major hiccups, but I think it smoothed out. Thank you everyone for the help and advice.

Please help! The tech came out repointed the dish secured it and then left. The phone now barely works, we can’t access anything. Download speeds are varied. Dropbox, OneDrive, AppStore will not work. This is the same thing that happened the last time they put us on this Satellite!

Good morning Rob,

Thank you for your update on the site visit. I just ran diagnostics on your site and the equipment is working normally; the modem currently is getting 30+ Mbps down. The only thing of note is that there is rain in your area which may affect performance. 

I also checked the line status of your phone, it was fine, but I reset the line for good measure. Please tell me more about the HughesNet Voice experience so we can better troubleshoot. 

Please also give more detail about Dropbox, OneDrive, and the AppStore.

Are you saying that all other sites you browse are fine, it's just these three?

Do these sites load at all?

Or can you not log into them?

Tell me what you are trying to do and where you run into trouble.

What error message are you getting? (Screenshots would help, here's how to do them: take-a-screenshot.org)

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen in different browsers?

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Good Morning,

Here are the steps I took.

rebooted the modem
Cleared browser cache and cookies
Restarted all the devices

My wifi option on the Apple products keeps forcing me to the 5ghz signal so I had to set them all back over to the 2.4ghz. I disconnected my Apple time capsule and now Dropbox seems to be loading on the iPads (so for now I can transfer files between devices this way. The phone still cuts out (no change) I will be on a call and it just drops. The AppStore is now loading on all Apple devices.

Is it possible that it jUst took a few hours for the network to sort out the changes? I am still having issues with the MacBook Air so my wife is using the MacBook Pro for work at this time. The iMessage issues resolved immediately which is amazing given the other problems.

I’m sorry I should have specified that I took the MacBook Pro off WiFi and used lan connection. So far it’s not having as many issues. I can not use lan connection with MacBook Air.

Good to hear, Rob. I don't know what happened with the sites, but whenever in doubt, just reset things.

So let's troubleshoot the dropped calls.

Are the calls dropping after a certain duration?

Are the dropped calls occurring on all calls you're making or receiving?

If not consistent on all calls, what is the phone number of calls where dropped calls occur (please just privately message me this information).

Just to be clear, regular internet browsing is fine?

Are you using a corded or cordless phone?

Do you have another phone to test?

At your convenience, please private message me the phone number, date, and time of the dropped call(s).

Please also test making calls when the ATA is the only device connected to the HughesNet modem; let me know if dropped calls still persist.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

The phone drops on almost every call I make. My thought is that the channel that the house phone is using interferes with the WiFi? I’ve done everything, new phones x2 times moved the base away from the modem, but still have the same issue. What cordless phone would you recommend?

Thanks for the additional info Rob.

How long into the call before it drops?

Have you noticed if the calls drop if it's a received call?

Just to be clear, the dropped calls even persisted on a different phone set?

The phone set(s) you're using are cordless?

We don't have any specific model phones we recommend; any current phones should work fine, but let's finish troubleshooting before we decide that the phone set is the root cause. 

Looking into changing the channel is a good idea too, considering that you have a number of devices on your 2.4Ghz network, but first please confirm that dropped calls persist when the ATA is the only device connected to the HughesNet modem.

The calls drop anywhere for 20 seconds to 29 minutes on the calls. There is no real pattern. I’m using a Panasonic phone console now, a vetch, and ATT. Is it safe to plug a splitter into the jack on the ata box and then run Phone cords. I have a phone in the kitchen and need the one in the office. I’m thinking if I go to a corded connection then the iPhone can’t interfere with the signal right?

Thanks for the details, Rob. Please correct me if I'm wrong, call drop no matter which phone set you use?

I'm not so sure about using a splitter, let me check with our VOIP experts on that and get back to you. The iPhone should not interfere in any case unless your iMessage notification tone is set to the default tone.

I changed the tone but it still drops 😕