Dish not working on Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tehodge
New Poster

Dish not working on Hughesnet

I recently had Dish and Hughesnet Gen5 installed at my house. I tries to watch an on demand show on Dish and it wouldn't work. I called Dish support and they had me run some tests including download speed tests. The results were VERY disappointing to say the least. You claim to have download speeds of up 25 mbps but when I ran the download test through dish through your network it only downloaded at 0.339 mbps. Dish requires at least 5 mbps for HD. Could it be that the satelite is not alligned properly? I'm pay for "High Speed Internet" and not getting it. Also paying for TV services that I cannot use due to slow ingternet download speeds. 

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@tehodge 

Because of the considerable increase in system load being caused by so many people being home because of the pandemic, a prioritization policy was put in place on 3/20.  This policy gives priority to both work and schooling related activities during periods of heavy system load, which means high bandwidth activities (streaming, file downloads, etc) will take a "back seat" during those periods.  And, unfortunately, these periods of high system load are nearly around the clock as of late. 

This policy, as well as the high congestion being caused by that heavy system load, can cause streaming to be difficult.  

Still, though what's mentioned above is likely the cause, low system speed can also cause issues.  To determine your present service speed, you can run a few speed tests as outlined here, then post the My Results page URL so that the test results can be viewed.  

Lastly, just so you are aware, HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service because of the amount of data those receivers can use, even if you never watch anything On Demand.  This is mostly with DirecTV receivers, but people have also seen this with Dish receivers.  People have seen their monthly allotment of data wiped out by them.  I just wanted you to be aware of this.

@GabeU wrote:

Lastly, just so you are aware, HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service because of the amount of data those receivers can use, even if you never watch anything On Demand.  This is mostly with DirecTV receivers, but people have also seen this with Dish receivers.

Just an FYI, I have my Dish Hopper connected through HughesNet and I don't have any problems with data.

Be aware, though, that I don't do On Demand.  No question that will chew through your data, especially if you do 4K.

If you want to watch one of the premium movies, record it from the Pay Per View channels (channels 502-535ish), NOT the on demand channel (channel 501).

GabeU

@lighthope1 wrote: 

Just an FYI, I have my Dish Hopper connected through HughesNet and I don't have any problems with data.

Dish Hoppers don't seem to be as bad as DirecTV receivers for everyone.  I've seen where they've used data for some, but not for others.  One of the past "regulars" here used a Hopper without issue, though I can't remember exactly who it was.

GabeU, you wrote "HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service because of the amount of data those receivers can use, even if you never watch anything On Demand." Does HughesNet state this somewhere on their website or in their terms of service?  
Dish says "DISH has partnered with leading internet providers across the US to give you the best available service where you live. Our partners offer satellite, fiber, cable, DSL, and wireless internet options that may be right for you. Internet speeds and availability are different for every address, so call to speak with a specially-trained sales agent who can connect you with the best internet solution." When we inquired about their internet bundle, Dish told us we needed to work with HughesNet directly.

Have you any suggestions of how to use Dish TV without connecting to the Hughes service?

Well in my case I can’t watch any on-demand shows because Dish’s recommended download speed is at least 5mpbs and when I tested the connection between Dish and Hughesnet the download speed was only a lousy 0.68mpbs, having said that, I have Hughesnet’s 20gb plan so If I wanted to download a show for later viewing, it would dramtically cut into the 20gb I have for the month.

GabeU

@Peneloukle 

Satellite TV, including Dish Network, doesn't require an internet connection to work.  Its content is delivered over its own satellite.  Connecting their receiver to the internet, however, gives the ability to download and watch additional content (On Demand) that isn't available over their satellite.

If HughesNet is your option for internet, the ability to watch that additional content may not be very good, and even if it does work well it will be limited due to the amount of high speed data you get with HughesNet.   As well, there is the already mentioned possibility of your data being used very quickly by the receiver. 

But, again, an internet connection isn't a requirement for satellite TV.