cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disheartened. Have I made a mistake?

Freshman

Disheartened. Have I made a mistake?

We're a small media production company based in a rural area in NC, and have been using a combination of a Verizon MiFi Jetpack coupled with tethered mobile phones for our internet connection.

Well, yesterday we had HughesNet Gen 5 installed. So far, I'm quite afraid that I've made a big mistake. Our speeds have been all over the board, and I can't even sustain a connection long enough to upload a 78MB file to a client's Dropbox! I have one PC connected via 2.4GHz and one with a Cat5 cable.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/sebrame

8 REPLIES 8
Sophomore

Re: Disheartened. Have I made a mistake?

Based on my experience with HughesNet (along with many others as this site shows) yes you made a mistake switching to HughesNet if you had other internet options. Call now to cancel and you may have a good chance of getting them to waive the early termination fee.

Hi Sebrame,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I have already located your account and will begin running diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment. The larger upload tests you have listed there show me that your system is running pretty well when uploading to testmy.net's servers. To get a better idea of what is causing the connectivity problems, I need to ask you a few questions.

Have you been able to upload any files to your own Dropbox account? If so, what sizes and/or file types?

Are you using the desktop client/app or the website to upload files?

When you say that you cannot sustain a connection, are you saying that at some point in the upload process you are disconnected from the internet itself, wi-fi, or the upload halts at a certain point indefinitely?

Are there any other internet activities taking place during these uploads that could be bogging down the local network?

Thank you,

Amanda

Freshman

Thanks Amanda,

Have you been able to upload any files to your own Dropbox account? If so, what sizes and/or file types? - The Dropbox account in question IS my own.

Are you using the desktop client/app or the website to upload files? - I'm uploading via the website.

When you say that you cannot sustain a connection, are you saying that at some point in the upload process you are disconnected from the internet itself, wi-fi, or the upload halts at a certain point indefinitely? - I just tried uploading an 80MB file. The transfer made it further along this time, then the progress bar jumped back to the start, indicating that it was having to retransmit data. It made it almost 3/4 of the way and then stopped.

Capture.JPG

Are there any other internet activities taking place during these uploads that could be bogging down the local network? - No. Part of the tests were done prior to connecting any other computers to the HughesNet modem.

Freshman

In addition, although I was showing a 21Mbps download speed this morning, web pages loaded painfully slowly, and SD YouTube videos refused to play without constant buffering. I disconnected from HughesNet, and tethered to my mobile phone. I was showing a 6Mbps download speed with the phone, yet pages loaded very quickly, and SD(and even HD) videos played with no buffering issues.

Freshman

After seeing the literally thousands of complaints across the internet, I'm just going to give it a day or two, then cancel if they cannot provide the service I expect.

Freshman

Well, the subpar level of communication or interest from Tech Support has convinced me that HughesNet was a bad choice. Cancelling today.

Freshman

Finally receievd a call from Tier 4 support. In less than 30 secs she had my service functioning properly, 28Mbps Down and 2.3Mbps Up. Latency is horrid, but...it's satellite. Still having failures on upload of files to Dropbox today, but some of that seems to be weather related, as there is a big storm system right in the beam.

Sophomore

Glad you got your internet fixed.  Sorry it took so long.  I know the pain.  I live on the internet.  (That's me, that little data byte right there.  -->  Smiley Happy  )

Did you end up cancelling?  Your earlier post said you did.