Hughesnet Community

Dissatisfied!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachelrh6485

Dissatisfied!!

My Service Is So Slow!!!!! It Will Never Load ANYTHING! We only use it on our cell phones and it is still so slow. I don't even attempt to use it for our tv because it takes forever to load anything on our phone much mess trying to watch Netflix!
16 REPLIES 16
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Are both boxes on the top of the page green at the following address?

http://192.168.0.1/

Chris11
Alum

Hello rachelrh6485,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! We understand your frustration. But I want to assure you we are here to help. After pulling up your account I see that you're a new customer. I'm concerned that you are experiencing slow service. However the best way to help is to get a bit more information from you, especially since I don't see any call in for support pertaining to slow speeds.

You signed up April, when did this start?
What type of router do you have?
How many users are in your household?

Due to the fact you only use the service with phones, it leads me to believe that you may be out of data allowance. What are you using to monitor how much data is used up? I'm sure we can help you get the most out of your service, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
rachelrh6485

it started a week after signing up and just gets worse over time. I have a net gear router that is amazing and has worked with all previous services. There is only 2. My husband is only home half the time because he works out of town. I use it on my computer for school and my phone. I would love to use it for other devices such as the smart tv i paid money for and can't use at the moment. What do you mean what am I using to monitor data?
rachelrh6485

no what does that mean? I have one that is orange and one that is green.
GabeU

If the first box is orange, it most likely means you are in a FAP state, meaning all of your data has been used and your speed is reduced.  Do you have any of your Anytime Data left? 

You should be able to see if you do on the same page where the boxes are.  It will be on the right.  There will be a green bar graph and a blue bar graph.  These are the levels of your remaining data. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi rachelrh6485,

For example we have a status meter that you can download and install on a computer. You didn't mention you had one in your first post. You can find it at www.my.hughesnet.com. It is used to help you keep track of how much data allowance you have. If you run out of data your speeds slow down. So I want to make sure that is not the case. For example, checking your site diagnostics recently, I do see that you are out of data and should be experiencing a slow down in service. Were you explained by sales that you have a data cap?

- Chris
rachelrh6485

No I don't have any data allowance left but have additional bonus bytes? What's the point for those of they don't help?
rachelrh6485

Yes but he said I had bonus bytes? How does it help if it don't make the service better? And also even when I have full data is is extremely slow. I am gone all day through the week I only really use service at night. Even when data is full I am unable to get my phone to load anything as well as my smart tv
GabeU

The Bonus Bytes are utilized between the hours of 2AM-8AM. 

GabeU

During the evening you may experience slowdowns due to everyone being online at that time, so things that require a high bandwidth may not work very well during those times.  For me (EST) the peak time is usually somewhere around 7:30PM or so to 11:30PM or so.   

Chris11
Alum

Hello Rachel,

Bonus bytes are only available during the times of 2 am to 8 am. The best way for us to be able to help you is for you to run some speed tests. I have gone ahead and added some token bandwidth to your account. So your speeds should be back to normal. What I will need you to do is head over to www.testmy.net. Take your router out of the equation. Plug one computer directly to the HughesNet modem via Ethernet. You data allowance does not reset again until about 6 days. This should give you time to troubleshoot. Once on testmy, run manual tests using 12 MB as the test size for downloads and 2 MB as the test size for uploads.

The tests should be throughout the day. So a batch of tests in the morning, some in the afternoon, then at night. This will allow us to get a better understanding. Mainly to Gabe's point, if you are getting slow speeds only during peak hours that is one thing. They shouldn't be incredibly low but this is normal. However if your speeds are slow and out of wack throughout the day this will tell us more. With this info we'll be able to escalate your case to our engineers. If in fact the speed tests are below standards compared to your current plan. Then post your results or account link from www.testmy.net if you choose to create one(acct would allow us to see all future tests as well).

FYI, your speeds directly from our satellite to your dish and then modem. Just ran this a second ago:

Execution time: 2016-07-28 20:05:35
Upload speed (kb/sec): 816.012
Download speed (kb/sec): 18671.226 = 18Mbps
Round trip ping time (msec): 609
Packet loss rate (%): 0

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
rachelrh6485

my computer is a Mac and there is no way to plug directly into the computer. I am also not here through out the day only sometimes if I can find someone laptop to borrow to run the test on the weekend I will defiantly do that. From day one I have never been able to download videos via cell phone or computer. I have also never been able to get Netflix to load via smart tv. If this does not get any better how would I go about cancelling service?
rachelrh6485

The peak times are the only time I am home of course. Those are the times I need internet most for school. I signed up to have internet for school and online assignments which I am unable to do because the times Im home to do them is from 6 PM to Midnight. Which is during those peak times.
GabeU

You could always still set up the account at testmy.net (which is much more helpful than running the tests without an account) and run just a few tests using the protocols mentioned (12MB for download, 2MB for upload), but with the router in the mix.  This isn't the normal procedure, but it still might help a little.  I wouldn't run a lot of them, but it might not hurt to run two or three.  Again, though, please set up the account before doing them.  It just gives a lot more info than if run under no account.  Not personal info, but test info, including specifics and patterns, plus the account keeps the results all in one place.     

Chris ran one earlier, remotely, right in the midst of peak time, and the speed was great.   

Chris11
Alum

Hi Rachel,

As mentioned by Gabe, since you are unable to run the tests as desired. It will still help. Whenever possible run a few and post your results. Try to only have that one computer connected to WiFi at the time of the tests to remove any other devices potentially using bandwidth. It will at least give us something to work with.

Thanks,
Chris
Lori Kesinger

my dashboard and status meter never load. They just spin and spin. I have not been able to look at my account details since signing up for service.