Hughesnet Community

Do you have Gen 5 with slow evening speeds?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zap
Freshman

Do you have Gen 5 with slow evening speeds?

The moderators claim that there is a known problem with beam 68 having slow speeds in the evenings.  I am curious if it is more wide-spread than that.  So, if you are having slow speeds in the evenings, please post your evening speeds (using testmy.net) and your beam number.  Some slowdown is to be expected when more people are using the internet in the evenings, so I am particularly interested in those who are consistently getting less than 70% of advertised speed; that is less than 17 Mbs.

To determine what spot beam you are on, go to your router settings at http://systemcontrolcenter.com/#!/home/information and look in the box labeled Satellite.

My speed test results are http://testmy.net/quickstats/Tachos

14 REPLIES 14
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

So, what beam are you on, and which bird?  Gen5 refers to two different satelites.  Beam 31 on one, is in an entirely different area than beam 31 on another one.
Also, in the past, it has been Hughes policy to only investigate if speeds drop below 60% on average.

Echostar 19 - Beam 66 - http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=500&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE

EchoStar 19 is Gen5

EchoStar 17 is Gen4

Unless you are saying that EchoStar 17 has the throughput capacity to be updated (with new firmware or something) for Gen5 speeds.

https://www.hughesnet.com/whats-new/satellite-launch

But, to be specific, I am on EchoStar 19 beam 68.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Echostar17 is capable of having Gen5 service plans sold on it, there are many people with Gen5 service as is, on Echostar17.  While capacity hasn't increased for the bird, it's used as an alternative for Echostar 19 if there are LOS issues, or if a beam doesn't cover particular areas.

Gen5, as I said, is nothing more than a level of service...

Gen4 = Spaceway 3 + Echostar 17

Gen5 = Echostar 17 + Echostar 19

Echostar 17 has always been capable of handling ~30Mbps provided load was low.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Edit:  Was already answered in above post.  

Yes slow speeds in the evening, usually still usable but not always, streaming may not really work for about 3 hours in the evening. 

Speeds in the single digits sometimes and teens sometimes.

Beam 55, echostar 19

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@timandjodi

For the most part as of recently, the speedtest results on your testmy.net account show that you are getting at least 60% of your plan speeds, very rarely does it dip, and it appears you perform another test almost immediately afterwards that has a far higher speed.

yes your right, for the most part the speeds have been really good.  and your also right that if I get a speed that seems off, I'll retest and often it is higher.  

however it is still slower for a few hours in the evening, I haven't noticed much of an issue just web browsing but streaming can become unwatchable or very annoying.

oh and just for fun..... the other night I tested and a few seconds later I looked up at the screen and it was 500-something!?  I retested and it was normal, but that skewed the heck out of my average 🙂

GabeU

@timandjodi wrote:

oh and just for fun..... the other night I tested and a few seconds later I looked up at the screen and it was 500-something!?  I retested and it was normal, but that skewed the heck out of my average 🙂 

I saw that.  You can delete that result, if you want.   While signed in and on your Results page, you can tick the little box next to that test and click on the box witht he red x at the top of the boxes.  It will give you a little warning at tht top of the page about deleting the test, but just click okay and it will delete it.  Like so (just an example from my own Results page)....

Capture.JPG

spotratz
New Poster

I am so frustrated by the slow speeds.  I have seen .39.  I just tested on testmy.net and speeds went from 7.65 to 14.2. It's impossible to watch any video as it is constantly buffering.  This was not true a month ago.  I do not appear to be on beam 68

GabeU

@spotratz

Being that you are not on beam 068, which seems to be having issues, it would be beneficial for you to start a new post in the Tech Support section to receive help with your speed issues.  You can do so by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in said section.   

Azbadboyz
Freshman

I am on beam 72 and it is so bad from 2 pm to 11 pm that it is worthless. I had excede before and I got 12 meg nearly all the time. I have been on phone many times with tech support and nothing has been resolved. They keep having me take off all my connected device's and it does not solve anything. It is the worst service I ever had. Even now I ran a speed test at 12am and it was on Hughes web site. Down load was 1.75 and upload is always around 3. I wish they would just cancel my subscription. And to top it all off I am a servce tech for Hughes. I sold so many of these systems when it just came out and talked it up so much to have it thrown in my face every day how bad it is in my small town after the 1st of June is terrible. I am staying away from even installing it or even servicing it untill they get it fixed. 

GabeU

@Azbadboyz

The speed issues started affecting those on your beam on that specific date (June 1st)?  

And the speed starts dropping that early in the afternoon?  Every day?  All at once or is it a gradual drop?

I would suggest starting a new topic, but being that you're an installer you're probably already aware of the procedure, so I doubt I need to.   

Edit:  I see you've already started a new topic.   

I also have the same issue.  The system works well (never great) before 5:00 p.m. but very poor video in evening and very slow internet.  The system performance slowly deteriorates through the day and speeds fall off until I can barely log in to test the speed.  Removed anything near compute that could possibly interfere with wifi cell phones, tablet, key fobs, and tile but no change.  My system performance is very good when using Verizon hot spot or on Century link so I would think that the problem is with Hughes Net????