cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HN Throttle Speeds During Our "Free" Time of 2 to 8am?

Tutor

Does HN Throttle Speeds During Our "Free" Time of 2 to 8am?

I've  been using Free Download Manager for a couple of months to schedule and download YT videos during off peak hours.  My average download speed it 170Kbps.  This is in the middle of the night.  Today I was scheduling some downloads (at 4:30pm) and forgot to schdule one so it started downloading immediately.  It downloaded in no time at all...it was downloading at around 4.75 MB/s which is 38 Mbps.  That's about my normal speed.  So 4.75MB/s during prime time vs 170Kbps during off peak hours Smiley Surprised  Is HN throttling speeds during off peak hours?

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Does HN Throttle Speeds During Our "Free" Time of 2 to 8am?

Are you sure FDM isn't splitting the file and giving you the speed result of one of the file downloads?  Download managers often do this.  They'll take a file and split it into multiple downloads, all doing so at the same time.  Of course, this wouldn't explain why the immediately downloaded file ran at full speed, though.  

I've never heard of HN throttling for anything other than streaming (and FAP).  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Gabe, you have the option of multiple simutaneous downloads but I've got it set to download one video at a time.  Sure seems like at 2 and 3am, speeds should be a lot faster.  Thanks for your response Smiley Happy

I know right at 2:00AM the speeds definitely can, and usually do, go down due to a lot of people scheduling downloads around then, but 170Kbps?  That's REALLY low.  I would try setting them a little later to try to get out of that uptick in downloading, if you can.   It might make a difference.  Still, 170Kbps?  Again, it might be worth a try.  

On those nights when I plan on being up and downloading something really big, I tend to wait until about 2:20AM or so to get past that uptick.  I wonder if the same thing might happening at 3:00AM, with people thinking the same thing and instead scheduling downloads at 3:00AM rather than 2:00AM to try to get past that uptick, but then it having the same affect due to so many poeple trying the same thing.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.  I'll start them at 3:30. 

I've gotten over the 1040p resolution.  I'm just fine with 720 Smiley Wink  Once I tried 1440.  I saw nose hairs! Smiley Surprised

@monicakm wrote:

Once I tried 1440.  I saw nose hairs! Smiley Surprised

That almost makes me glad my monitor can't show anything higher than 1080P.  I don't want to see nose hairs!  Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue