cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon.

Highlighted

Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon.

Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon. Apparently they can steal people's money and get away with poor service. cheating ripping off the customers. There is a market in our area for better internet service. Someone needs to start in Fort Valley Georgia. AT&T we want you....Healthy competition is good for the American work force. The best offers get the customers. I've been trying for 2 nights to purchase tokens from Hughes net so I can look on-line. What is this the county fair. The adults have to buy service with tokens Your company is screwing with the internet. This just recently started happening. WHose leading this company? AT&T the Crawford County side of Fort Valley needs you to add your internet service to our phone package. Add the line to our home. Hughes net fix the problem. Or we're going with someone else. alot of us banning together you lose. Kinda like Hilliary..... The silent majority.....
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon.

You know David it is a scam Hughesnet has been using for a long time, back when things were slower they didn't give as many gigs as they do now but it worked out the same. The only difference is that Hughesnet now uses smart browser, it isn't much but at least 2 out of 10 pages will actually load.  I remember 15 years ago if you ran through your broadband allotment you were not getting any pages to load.

My plan is the 10 GB during daytimes hours and 50 GB off time, what most people do not know is that Hughesnet expects you to only use 200 to 250 MB a day but I can spend 1 hour online and use 1.5 GB  without downloading or watching streaming videos, no just browsing and checking my email, reading the news. 

Every site now uses 100 times the data just to load the pages,  plus they attack you with cookies and the sort for marketing purposes and if there is any video players on the site you can bet they are preloading whatever they are playing...Face Book is the worse their videos actually will play even if you are out of Gigabyte's.

Now here is where Hughesnet has really gone wrong, the price for GB online is $1.00, Hughesnet charges 9.00 for the same GB and to make it look like a deal they give you 1.5 for 10.00.
Even if one was to buy tokens to use the internet and using the minimum of 1.5 GB a day it will cost you $300.00 a month..

Hughesnet has it's FAP policy  and the contract with it's customers of only giving a minimum of Broadband just so they can make bank on the tokens, it is incredibly lucrative  and profitable.
You know DISH owns Hughesnet now and the continue this policy of ripping off their customers.

Obama passed the fair access internet law for everyone, so people in outlying areas can get fair access too(at least that is what I thought it was) but it wasn't anything of the sort, it gave these companies extra tools like the fair access policy(FAP) but it wasn't for the consumers it was for the corporations and I found out that these companies have been lobbying congress and the presidents ever since 2000 just so they could have this stupid law and their FAP.

Until our government decides to re-regulate everything the corporations are shoving down our throats(especially the rates) we can count on the same for the future.

You are lucky you have a choice of providers, I live in the mountains in NE California and Hughesnet is the only game in town.

Peace be with you David..

Sincerely
John M Holt
prehensileman@outlook.com
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon.

"Does Hughes Net have to play by the same rules as large phone companies such as AT&t or Verizon."

No, in the context that Hughes is not a publicly regulated utility.

"Apparently they can steal people's money and get away with poor service. cheating ripping off the customers."

Stealing in what manner ? Are you having billing or performance issues?

Perhaps if you were to post some details it would help narrow things down.

"....Healthy competition is good for the American work force. The best offers get the customers."

In this context Hughes is not in competition with terrestrial based ISP's, Hughes serves a niche market ... supplying high speed satellite service to those areas where ground based services have chosen not to extend service.

"The adults have to buy service with tokens Your company is screwing with the internet"

Hughesnet is a data capped service. Plans are available in various sizes but there is not getting around the fact that all Hughesnet plans have limits.

There are several ways to track your rate of usage so that you can go the entire month and stay within your data limits.

Tokens can also be purchased ahead of time and queued for automatic use if required.

Highlighted
Freshman

Welcome to the forum. Instead of complaining about your issue, please provide details so we can help. Those needed details include facts about your plan, test results of various types as explained in previous postings. A corporate service person also will need the same. The rest of us on this forum are just customers who try to help you control and/or manage your usage and explain how it all works. We cannot respond to your rants without any detail.
Highlighted
Alum

Hello David,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We appreciate the feedback and we are happy to help. First things first is a bit more info to better assist you. Just a reminder we are a Satellite internet provider. Inherently much different than an mobile phone service. However I am sure we can help you get this fixed. Where exactly are you going to buy tokens? Do you have the status meter installed? Are you receiving a specific error, that you can screenshot and post here? Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Highlighted

I agree with this! We as customers need to ban together. I can't even use my phone on my home internet which is BS! I didn't have this problem when I lived in WI and had hughesnet. I had 50 gb anytime and 50 gb bonus time the bonus time needs to be extended it only runs from 2am to 8am It should go back to what it used to be midnight till 8am I am so frustrated and can't set up my tv at home in my internet or I will go way over. I am getting tired of getting jacked around where other company's offer alot more data for around $50 per month and I am paying over $100 a  month for 20gb and the technical support even told me when I wrote down how much I had at night when I shut my computer down and then the same when I started my computer up it used one mb they told me it uses at least one mb per day or more just to receive signal. Should have been told that upfront!
Highlighted
Freshman

We are banded together here to help each other; not to call BBB, or the FCC, or rant without providing tests to help us.. Do that somewhere else please.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

The only difference is that Hughesnet now uses smart browser
SmartBrowsing isn't enabled until you run out of data.  

but I can spend 1 hour online and use 1.5 GB  without downloading or watching streaming videos, no just browsing and checking my email, reading the news. 
You SERIOUSLY need to install an ad blocker if that's truly all you are doing.  That's an utterly ridiculous amount of data to be using with just browsing.  

Face Book is the worse their videos actually will play even if you are out of Gigabyte's.
Disable the autoplay feature for videos on Facebook.  

the price for GB online is $1.00, Hughesnet charges 9.00 for the same GB and to make it look like a deal they give you 1.5 for 10.00. 
Just what plan is it you have?  They don't charge $9.00 per GB.  I pay $80 for 65GB.  Satellite internet is more expensive to run and offer than all other regular residential ISPs.  You have an alternative...dial up.

Hughesnet has it's FAP policy  and the contract with it's customers of only giving a minimum of Broadband just so they can make bank on the tokens, it is incredibly lucrative  and profitable.
The FAP stands for FAIR Access Policy.  Fair is the key word.  More data offered means slower service for everyone on a given satellite due to people primarily using more data for streaming purposes.  A satellite has a finite amount of throughput.  

Obama passed the fair access internet law for everyone, so people in outlying areas can get fair access too(at least that is what I thought it was) but it wasn't anything of the sort, it gave these companies extra tools like the fair access policy(FAP)

Hughesnet's FAP was in place long before Obama came down the pike.  Again, more data means slower service.  It's a balance.  It's not a land based service.  A satellite has a finite amount of throughput. 

Until our government decides to re-regulate everything the corporations are shoving down our throats(especially the rates) we can count on the same for the future.

Satallite internet isn't land based internet.  It costs more to run and maintain.  You have an alternative...dialup.  

Lastly, again, I have absolutely NO IDEA what it is you are doing when you are "just browsing."  I have two Windows 10 computers, both used regularly, and a "used once in a while" Windows 8.1 notebook.  All three are kept up to date, including the non Microsoft programs they have installed.  I browse, pay bills, shop, use Facebook, come on here, frequent IMDB, frequent Disqus, etc., etc., etc.   I RARELY use more than 6GB per month combined.   And you are using 1.5GB per day?  SMH.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

They can't offer the same service for the same price as land based services.  It's impossible.  Practically everything with satellite internet is more expensive than a land based service.  

And they probably don't bother telling anyone that the system will use at least 1MB just connecting because 1MB is practically nothing. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

To start I don't know how to add a blocker or whatever your talking about. I also don't know how to disable stuff on facebook. My computer runs on windows 7.  Before I moved to TN I lived in WI and had 50gb anytime and 50 gb bonus but when I moved they told me they changed their plans so I pay just over $100 a month for 20gb. I dont' appreciate the way you responded to me in this. I am not stupid and you make it seem like I am. I guess coming to this whole hughsnet forum was a mistake. I didn't come on here to be tried to made to look stupid to other people. I sure hope hughsnet see's your comment. The quotes you posted have nothing to do with the issue I am having and are NOT appreciated. I was hoping for a more positive experience on here people helping others not some people putting other people down like you have done to me! (like your comment about me going to dial up for example). Have a good day