cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know about KARMA?

Highlighted

Does anybody know about KARMA?

I came across a Facebook add for something called 'Karma' - https://yourkarma.com/ - it almost seems like it could be our savior from satellite internet. Unlimited, faster, and much, much cheaper. So far, I have not found anything to contradict that. Do any of you out there know if this might be the way to go (or not)?
32 REPLIES 32
Assistant Professor

Re: Does anybody know about KARMA?

Um, still relies on a cellular connection which many satellite customers can not get or crappy 2/3G speeds. Plus I seriously doubt the unlimited $50 part.

Site looks a bit sketchy the more I look at it.

I don't know about this, as bad as I want faster speeds I am with sgoshe the site does look a little sketchy, not only that it looks like you would be stealing if you use their Wi-Fi dohicky. I would be very careful with this one.

Andreatx I found this little article, I personally need my privacy I just thought this might help you out a little.
  • Pros

Affordable prepaid mobile data. Potential for limitless free data. Good speeds where WiMax is available.

• Cons

No clear path to LTE hardware upgrades. Potential security risks. Up-front cost is a bit steep.

• Bottom Line

The Karma Wi-Fi Hotspot modem lets you earn limitless free mobile data for sharing the love, but protecting your privacy is up to you.

cell hotspot...your smartphone can do same....have a good signal?
Associate Professor

Poor website, shows a 4G LTE signal in areas that it doesn't exist in KY, website isn't even remotely half right...  One page offers "Unlimited" for $50 a month, the another page says 10GB for $99/month.  Next fun part, most of KY that has Sprint (it appears these devices work ONLY on the Sprint network), tends to be near major cities where cable and DSL should be bountiful.

Just know this, your data will be transmitted over a non-secure network with Karma, meaning anyone can see any and all data you transmit if they happen to "drive by" your home and decide to sniff some data that's being transmitted over wifi to the device.

Oh, next fun part, if the device is showing Sprint as the network their device uses, then they are severely lying about network coverage on their website, because Sprint has absolutely zero coverage here in KY.

Anyways - if you want to leave, then leave, upto you, we aren't here to hold your hand.
Associate Professor

Assistant Professor

Isn't karma basically "what goes around comes around"? Not sure I want that philosophy from my ISP.
Associate Professor

The reason it's called Karma is because the device is open, basically, you have the device, and anyone with a Karma account can connect to it, if they do, you get 100MB of "free" data.  The downside, each device is capped to about 5Mbps, so you can imagine what would happen with multiple devices, or even neighbors deciding to get a karma account with out buying the device. LOL
Assistant Professor

Lol, communism I say, communism!  (a joke people)
Do think I will pass.