cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have good performance during peak hours?

Junior

Does anyone have good performance during peak hours?

I realize that this forum is mostly used by people who are having problems. However, I'll ask anyway: is ANYONE who is on Gen5 experiencing smooth video streaming and/or advertised download speeds during evening peak hours?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Does anyone have good performance during peak hours?

Yep, I have no problems at all.. Anytime of the day..

Associate Professor

Distinguished Professor IV

No issues here in the evenings, with speed or video streaming (including in 1080p when I've deliberately tested such).  

I do occasionally see peak usage slowdowns, but they are very minimal, and by perhaps 10-15%, at most. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

No. My performance during peak hours is terrible. It is slightly better than with Gen 4. From about 6 PM EST to 12 or 1 AM, web response is worse than my first 1.5 Mbps DSL connection back in the late 90's (and that was a very unreliable connection). Download speeds are another story. If I download a large file during that time period, or do a speed test, it is pretty fast, generally in the 1-3 Megabyte/s range. But download speeds and user experience are far different things. Webpages often take dozens of seconds to load, DNS errors abound and streaming anything more than 144p takes significant buffering and patience during peak hours. 90% of the time that I get a DNS error, if I look at the modem diagnostics, there is no issue reported and the "state" is normal.

"Magically," things get a lot better after peak times. My fastest observed download was about 4.3 Megabytes/s, which is incredible for a satellite beam. Web pages also load in a few seconds. So it bothers me that the majority of senior users in here direct people with these kinds of issues to endless speed tests and hardware troubleshooting when it is clearly a congestion issue that HN told its subscribers wouldn't be an issue on Gen 5 for some time. Why would hardware or configuration issues only cause problems when everyone else has gotten home from work and is using the internet?

Honestly, I think it would be great if HN would look into restricting everyone's bandwidth during peak hours to more evenly share the burden. I would be more than happy with a reliable 5 Mbps connection than a highly variable and unreliable 25 Mbps connection. 

@ilmontgo wrote:

So it bothers me that the majority of senior users in here direct people with these kinds of issues to endless speed tests and hardware troubleshooting when it is clearly a congestion issue that HN told its subscribers wouldn't be an issue on Gen 5 for some time.

Assuming your issue is caused by congestion because it mimics congestion issues is a mistake.  And assuming that congestion is the only thing that can cause peak usage speed issues is another mistake.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

@ilmontgo wrote:

So it bothers me that the majority of senior users in here direct people with these kinds of issues to endless speed tests and hardware troubleshooting when it is clearly a congestion issue that HN told its subscribers wouldn't be an issue on Gen 5 for some time.

Assuming your issue is caused by congestion because it mimics congestion issues is a mistake.  And assuming that congestion is the only thing that can cause peak usage speed issues is another mistake.  

If it looks like a duck...  I am open to enlightenment and would love to hear how a hardware or configuration error can only present issues during peak usage times, consistently, as in every single day. @C0RR0SIVE, your speed test results are impressive and show no variance for time of day. I want my connection to be that good.

@ilmontgo wrote:

If it looks like a duck... Notice how none of the people who responded here saying they have no slow downs during peak hours haven't shared their testmy.net results link?  I honestly don't believe you.

Call someone else a liar.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Now you have two.  

Sophomore

Ok, I was wrong, @GabeU and @C0RR0SIVE, your peak hour results are impressive. What would cause an issue to mimic peak hour slowdowns?

Highlighted
Sophomore

I edited my post because I had missed @C0RR0SIVE's test results link. Sorry for questioning your honesty. Thanks for sharing those. Did you guys delete any "outlier" test results from that list? I'm noticing a lot of results from non-peak times and far fewer consecutive tests from peak times on both of your results pages (except yesterday for @C0RR0SIVE).