cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have good performance during peak hours?

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Does anyone have good performance during peak hours?

I will admit, I do delete some tests, such as tests that hit 100Mbps+ for some unknown reason.  When I run tests they are ran during hours that I am awake, and ran on random days.
If you look at my test results, youll notice that I had some horrendous speeds from approximately Aug 2nd to Aug 8th on Gen5.  Not congestion related either, it was a gateway issue from what I could tell.

None of these beams are anywhere near capacity, last I saw on the official numbers presented to shareholders, Jupiter2 isn't even at 5% of total capacity.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ilmontgo

First, no, I don't delete any of my tests, save for ones that are obviously incorrect (like a result in the 60s or 70, which does happen every now and again).  I just don't test as much in the evening as I'm normally busier during those times.  

Secondly, both Gateway and beam issues can affect speed, including mimicking peak usage time congestion.  And though a throughput issue on a beam or with a gateway could be affected by the number of people actively on said beam or gateway, that's a problem being caused by the issue, not general congestion.  Some speed issues can also be caused by the customer's system itself, including their equipment, and including during peak usage times.  The tests help to determine if this is the case, and if not, they can also help to determine where they issue may lie.  

If a beam or gateway issue is spoken of by the reps, then that's the point at which the tests may be redundant, and they will announce that themselves, but as of right now the only beam they are acknowledging has a problem is beam 68.  Others may or may not be, but as of right now that's the only one.  

Your issue may very well be related to a beam or gateway issue, and, as mentioned, could be exacerbated by more people being online, but, again, if that's the case, it's more likely a result of the issue, not general congestion.  The tests help to verify this and/or point the engineers in a specific direction. 

Also, just for a little info, the ES17 satellite , which was launched in 2012, took at least a couple of years for it to start showing any signs of congestion, which were gradual.  The ES19 has only been online for about six and a half months, and it has more than double the capacity of the ES17.      

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

@GabeU and @C0RR0SIVE

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like you are both saying that there really should be very little congestion (peak time) slowdowns (10-15% one of you mentioned). You have also said that there could be beam issues that could particularly effect people during peak times but none have been officially announced except for beam 68.

If this is indeed the case, I must have something going wrong or there must be an issue with Beam 82 because I have experienced dramatic peak time slowdowns consistently since 20 days after Gen 5 install and the entire time I had Gen 4. I honestly thought, this is just the nature of Satellite internet. Should I start a new thread about this? It should be noted that I am in a rural region (Western North Carolina mountains) with likely a lot of subscribers on the same beam and I am currently in FAP mode (day and night) for the next 1 day and 8 hours.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ilmontgo

It would probably be a good idea for you to do that (start a new thread), and that way your issue can be kept separate from the OP's and addressed.  

Also, the 10-15% is only my experience, and it doesn't always happen.  Sometimes it doesn't drop at all, but when it does it's usually no more than mentioned.  Again, though, that's just me, and it actually could be different for others on the same beam.  I don't know enough about the technical aspects of the system to know why it can be like that, but only that it can. 

But, again, it would most likely benefit you to start the new thread, like you mentioned.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

I was told Beam 82 also has performance issues during peak hours.  I know that I am.  I am still awaiting the promised fix.