Hughesnet Community

Does the Apple Airport Extreme router have adjustable settings that would allow us to limit it's speed for TV show streaming?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weber2020

Does the Apple Airport Extreme router have adjustable settings that would allow us to limit it's speed for TV show streaming?

Hello Everyone - Does anyone know if the Apple Airport Extreme router has any consumer adjustable settings that would allow us to limit it's download speed for TV show streaming (to save our allocated data)?

I have a new Apple Airport Extreme router.  I also have the HughesNet HT1100 modem.  My wife and I like to live-stream old seasons of TV shows from Amazon Prime because we can get them for free.  However, if we are not careful, we use up all of our HughesNet data allowance before the next billing cycle.  We've learned that Amazon Prime is streaming the shows in High Def (HD) if they see a good high speed connection to our TV.  We've also learned that some routers have settings that allow us to "limit" the download speed from Amazon Prime, for instance, so that they will stream TV shows in Standard Def (SD) and therefore, use less of our precious allotted data from HughesNet.  Does anyone know if the Airport Extreme has any consumer adjustable settings that would allow us to limit it's download speed for TV show streaming?   Secondly, I have the same question for the HughesNet modem...  any settings I can change to make this happen when we stream TV shows?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Definition is set at the streaming end, not at your router. Amazon Prime doesn't allow setting the definition, why I don't use it. Netflix allows setting to SD and low, I have mine set to low.

BTW: It has nothing to do with speed, has to do with file sizes. HD is huge file size, SD and Low not so much.
Amanda

Hi Weber2020

I really like this question! Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it if it is possible.. BirdDog has the right idea though - you might be better off switching to a streaming service that offers that option upfront than going through the trouble of trying to trick the system into looking slow. I'll do a little research just in case.

Thanks!
Amanda