Hughesnet Community

Download Interruptions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stan Burman

Download Interruptions

I am having continued download interruptions when I attempt to update apps from Adobe's Creative Cloud. I have made at least 6 attempts to update Adobe Bridge CC (2105). The download will begin and then, at some random point, just stop. Tonight I've burned through 1 GB of download allowance and still don't have the program updated. Am attaching a screenshot of the error message. Very frustrating. My DSS is

Please advise.
15 REPLIES 15
Amanda

Hello Stan

I've removed your SAN for your privacy but I will use it to look at your account and run diagnostics. I would like to do some research on this and see what could be causing it, but I need to know a few things first:

1. Have you ever updated this particular app (Bridge) successfully?
2. Do all other apps fail? If not, are there some particular ones that do or do not update?
3. What version OSX?
4. Anything else that stopped working about the same time if you've noticed?
5. Have you tried downloading via another device?
6. What kind of device is this? Laptop / Self Contained Mac ?

This info would be helpful in getting started.

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda, can you edit out his SAN?
Amanda

Weird, thought I did. I guess it didn't save. Thanks for heads up 🙂
Stan Burman

Sorry about the DSS.
Stan Burman

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your response. I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Updated Bridge successfully? Yes, I have been able to update Bridge successfully. But I have had an extraordinary amount of "Download Failure" problems with the apps within Adobe's Creative Cloud.

2. Do other apps fail? Yes. I had difficulty with the Adobe Flash Player update last night (this was separate from the Adobe Creative Cloud). I waited about an hour and tried again. After a total of five attempts the Flash Player successfully downloaded and installed. I also had difficulty with Adobe Camera Raw (this is one of the apps within the Adobe Creative Cloud). It took about four attempts. But it finally downloaded and installed successfully.

3. OS X version? OS X 10.11.6

4. Any other problems? No other downloads seemed to be working okay.

5. Other device? I just returned from a vacation. I had my laptop with me (MacBook Pro with same OS as desktop at home) and the Adobe Creative Cloud update downloaded (very quickly!) and installed great on the hotel's WiFi system.

6. What device is this? A Mac Pro (early 2013).

Over the past year I have had an extraordinary amount of difficulty with downloads from the Adobe Creative Cloud for individual apps in the Creative Cloud. I thought the problem must be the Adobe software as other downloads (non-Adobe) seemed to generally work okay. But this last week I was able to update everything from the Adobe Creative Cloud on my laptop just fine through a hotel WiFi system. Then when I returned home the download difficulty just reappeared when I tried the same downloads on my desktop. That implies that the difficulty is the Hughes satellite system.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Stan
Amanda

Hi Stan,

Thank you for the reply and the information. It is very helpful. When did you notice you started having issues? 

I ran some quick diagnostics on your system to see if it was in good health as far as the HughesNet equipment. Signal is great and everything seems to be functioning correctly. I do see there are about 7 devices connected to the network, is this common?  

Thanks
Amanda
Stan Burman

Hi Amanda,

My Hughes HN9000 modem is connected to my Apple AirPort Extreme Base Set via Ethernet. My Mac Pro and a DROBO 5N NAS storage device are connected to the base set via Ethernet. I have two Epson printers, a MacBook Pro laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone wirelessly connected to this network. This is my most common configuration and the one I have been using for some years.

I started having download issues with the Adobe Creative Cloud apps when CC(2015) was introduced about a year ago. Repeated attempts to get tech support from Adobe were unsuccessful. I then started getting Adobe app updates from a third party where most of the updates successfully downloaded and installed. But now with Adobe's release of CC(2015.5) users can no longer get the third party sourced updates. You must get them from Adobe via the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application.

Recently I have been traveling and have had no trouble getting the updates from Adobe when I have been on a WiFi network while staying with a relative and while visiting a hotel with WiFi. It is when I returned home that the Adobe CC app updates started giving me trouble - again - while connected with the Hughes system.

I do have the OpenDNS servers specified in my Network System Preferences (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

Thanks,

Stan
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Stan,

Have you tried downloading the program when connected directly to the modem, sans router?  Or, even with it being the only thing going through your router at that particular time?

I don't remember when, but I remember seeing something someone wrote about having a large number of devices connected and it was causing problems.  It may have just been their particular setup.  I don't remember the specifics. 

It might be worth a try to be connected directly, for this particular download, at least. 

Stan Burman

Hi GabeU,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try when I have time to do all the fiddling.

Stan
Stan Burman

Hi GabeU,
Tried your suggestion. Shut down the AirPort Express Base Station and reconnected Hughes HN9000 modem directly to Mac Pro. I tried again to download the new revision to Adobe Bridge via the Creative Cloud Desktop App. Same result. Some of the update downloaded and then it just stopped. Screen shot below. Tonight I have downloaded and installed update for Little Snitch and new malware definitions from Intego with no problem.
Amanda

Hey Stan

I believe I saw you were on the HN9000 system (white modem)

I want to see if disabling turbopage fixes this issue. You can see the steps on Rick's Yak Shack (a popular place where HughesNet customers hang out, I've been told) http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9973&forum_id=73

Please let me know if it does. Side question - the DynDNS is set up at your router? Are you actively connected to a VPN?

Thanks
Amanda
Stan Burman

Hi Amanda,

Yes, I am using the Hughes HN9000 modem. And I'll give the disabling turbopage a try. I'll reply again after doing so.

I don't understand your last question. My understanding is that the HN9000 modem functions as the router in my system. The DNS servers I specified as described above are set up in the Network Systems Preferences panel in OS X 10.11.6. I do not believe I am connected to a VPN. But I don't know this for sure.

Stan
Stan Burman

Hi again Amanda,

I just tried the download with Turbo disabled. Despite numerous interruptions to the download it did resume each time without starting over and the file successfully downloaded and installed.

Thank you for your assistance.

Just as a question, how much notice do I have to give Hughes that I want to terminate service and stop billing if I can find another ISP?

Stan
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Just as a question, how much notice do I have to give Hughes that I want to terminate service and stop billing if I can find another ISP?

No notice really ...

Cancelations have to be done by the account holder over the phone.

Usually a cancelation become effective at the end of the current billing cycle although you can demand an immediate cancellation.

Unless you have purchased your equipment outright the Modem, Power supply and the "radio" mounted on the end of the dish arm must be returned to Hughes in the pre-paid return kit that will be sent out when the cancelation becomes effective.

Be aware of the following:

The equipment must be returned within 45 days of effective cancelation or an Unreturned Equipment Fee may be charged

A Early Termination Fee may be charged if you have not completed your 24 month service commitment.

More details can be found in the Hughes Subscriber Agreement that can be found here:

http://legal.hughesnet.com/Home.cfm

Amanda

Hi Stan

Figured that would do the trick. I hope its not too bothersome of a workaround.

Gwalk has also given you the correct answer to your question.

Thanks
Amanda