Download Speed Disclaimer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bugman2112
Sophomore

Download Speed Disclaimer

Well I was a satisfied customer for the first couple of months.  But as the speed test below shows, during peak times the Internet is barely usable.  Unfortunately, I only have myself to blame.  I had satellite Internet years ago, and had the same issues with traffic.  I just hoped that technology had made it better.  Instead of just complaining, I offer my help in that I came up with a disclaimer that should be included and highlighted for each customer.  It is entirely possible this verbiage or near so is already in the agreement we all sign.  If that be the case, here it is again to help others with trouble.  No doubt this forum has helped folks with actual equipment issues and setup issues.  But I suspect a majority are like me, and are suffering from simple traffic issues, that I didn't know would be so bad as to render the Internet unusable (let alone any kind of streaming).  https://testmy.net/db/XnhQGNxEr

The speed of your Internet downloads is directly related to the amount of traffic from other users.

Your download speed can vary from 300kps to 40mps, depending on traffic.

Please note, this is unavoidable and is a byproduct of this technology and associated limitations.

No actual download speed is guaranteed at any time.

At the lower speeds, it is likely/probably that the speed will be too slow to be usable.

The slower speeds will typically be during peak hours when traffic is high (4pm to 11pm)

Faster speeds will typically be during off hours, during which you can use your bonus 50 GB of data.

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

They already have disclaimers, in multiple places, stating that speeds are upto, and are not guaranteed.  They also have a disclaimer that states that speeds may be signifigantly slower during peak times...  It's mentioned in the contract that no one reads.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The speed of your Internet downloads is directly related to the amount of traffic from other users.

Not always, and there are many other variables.  "Is" should be "may be".  

Your download speed can vary from 300kps to 40mps, depending on traffic.

Again, traffic is one part.  Providing actual numbers makes a slippery slope, but the higher of the two speeds listed should be 25Mbps, not 40Mbps, regardless of what speed people may get.       

At the lower speeds, it is likely/probably that the speed will be too slow to be usable.

It depends on what one is trying to do.  My speeds have been around 300-400Kbps all evening, and I've had zero issues with browsing, and there only be a small difference from when my speed is 100 times that.  

Faster speeds will typically be during off hours, during which you can use your bonus 50 GB of data.

"Off hours" is a variable.  Bonus data can only be used between 2am and 8am in one's time zone.  

But, in the end it probably doesn't matter, as, like mentioned by Corrosive, they already have disclaimers regarding speed and expectations of the system.  

Your points are well taken and I am sure legally the Internet supplier is covered.

My disagreement comes with the usability factor.  I disagree that the speeds I get during peaks times below 500kps are usable.

Even web browsing is not always possible at these speeds because it is not a sustained 500kps, i've seen as low as <100kps (and that is considering only web browsing. Now days, browsing the web is only a fraction of what I need Internet access to accomplish)

So my only remaining point is, small print or not, people should know that their Internet will frequently be unusable at peak times during the day.  But I would be satisfied if the wording as you suggest was.. Internet speeds will likely slow down during peaks time, thus rendering the internet only usable for limited web browsing and email. (limited because even web pages with large pictures take minutes to load)

On a side note, I want to make it clear that I have no issue with any of the technical support staff or moderators here....They have genuinely been trying help all.  It's the technology and the sales/advertising that I think should be more upfront, besides the fine print.

@Bugman2112 wrote:

Your points are well taken and I am sure legally the Internet supplier is covered.

My disagreement comes with the usability factor.  I disagree that the speeds I get during peaks times below 500kps are usable.

Even web browsing is not always possible at these speeds because it is not a sustained 500kps, i've seen as low as <100kps (and that is considering only web browsing. Now days, browsing the web is only a fraction of what I need Internet access to accomplish)

So my only remaining point is, small print or not, people should know that their Internet will frequently be unusable at peak times during the day.  But I would be satisfied if the wording as you suggest was.. Internet speeds will likely slow down during peaks time, thus rendering the internet only usable for limited web browsing and email. (limited because even web pages with large pictures take minutes to load)

On a side note, I want to make it clear that I have no issue with any of the technical support staff or moderators here....They have genuinely been trying help all.  It's the technology and the sales/advertising that I think should be more upfront, besides the fine print.

I agree with most of your points for sure.  I know and read the "up to" speeds in our contract, but at the same time there should be a minimum that they try to abide by or else figure something is wrong and deal with the issue in proper time.

I equate this to a automobiles gas mileage.... the manufacturer estimates at XX.XX MPG, lets throw out 25 for today.  You bet your bubkis if every single car this manufacturer sold claiming 25MPG ends up being 1MPG, customers would be VERY unhappy.  Lemon laws would probably become an issue at that point.

There has to be a reasonable compromise to offer what they are selling.  It is the right thing to do.  Otherwise it will catch up to them at some point.

Unhappy people are not asking for much here...  some communication is #1.... #2 be sympathetic if your product is stinking and alert people you are doing your best to fix the issue.

I am sure Hughes did not think there speeds would be this compromised at this stage.  If they did, that would stink.

Just me 3 cents.

TJ

btw, as for usability, it will be different for everyone.  Some of us may be retired and just pop on every now and then to do email, browse some sports scores.  Others may work from home and rely on punctual web access, not having a page take minutes to load.  It varies and I am sure customers have a wide range here.

Need less to say, if you are getting 500K during non peak times, like I am today, I am getting by.  It is fairly slow.... I rely on access to 3 or 4 web related sites to do my work.  In work from home.  With 500K I am just barely making it.

By tonight, I expect my 500K to become 100 to 200K range and yes, unusable for what I do.  When web pages time out, that gets old.  When you can't send an email with a 4MB file attachment, that gets old.  Lots get old at 100 to 200K speeds expecially with the lag of Satellite internet.

I am sure Hughes is not happy with these slow speeds and expects better from their service.  Hopefully that is the case and working hard to get everyone up to more capable speeds soon.

TJ

**Edit.... just ran a speed a speed test at 6PM PST.  Already down to 200K range.  At this point only the very basic of web sites are working and they take a very long time to come to screen.  These are speeds unusable for many.... 

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=12282017&x=5&l=25&q=macsociety

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety wrote:

btw, as for usability, it will be different for everyone.  Some of us may be retired and just pop on every now and then to do email, browse some sports scores.  Others may work from home and rely on punctual web access, not having a page take minutes to load.  It varies and I am sure customers have a wide range here.

Agreed.  For me, general browsing still works fine.  I wouldn't try to stream anything, download any large files or Skype, but when it comes to regular browsing, shopping and paying bills, I don't have any issues, even when it gets down to the 300Kbps range.  It's a bit slower on opening some pages, but that's really the only difference I've noticed. 

But, that doesn't mean others having the same speed will have the same experience doing the same things.