Download Speed Problem Has Returned

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seasterbrook
New Poster

Download Speed Problem Has Returned

This is the third time, in three years, I have come to this community for assistance. Earlier posts are still on this board somewhere. The topics all addressed degradation of download speeds, especially in the evening.

Note: I am on the PowerPro Plan- which is advertised at 10 Mbps download. I am currently getting less than 1 Mbps, as shown below:

Example: download speeds for tonight (taken around 9PM EST):

01/24/17       745 kbps

01/24/17       792 kbps

01/24/17       561 kbps

01/24/17       323 kbps

01/24/17       578 kbps 

And it is just not tonight, I have checked on multiple nights using multiple speed test sites and get similar readings (and no weather interference or obstructions to blame).

This has happened before. In 2015, I experienced the same degradation of downloads speeds during the evening. 

After repeated attempts to get it fixed (which initially were futile), I filed complaints with the Maryland Consumer Protection Division, the Federal Trade Commission and sent a registered letter outlining my speed problems directly to the President of HughesNet, Pradman Kaul.  

After that round of filing and correspondence, I received a call from the HughesNet corporate and a week later, my internet speeds were excellent. Those excellent speeds lasted about 8 months. Since then, download speeds have been steadily going downhill. However, I did not have the time to try to resolve this problem until now.

I am posting now because I am willing to give the HughesNet's reps on this board a chance to resolve this before I spend further time on this issue.

If the issue can be resolved that would be great, but if it cannot be resolved I plan to contact corporate as I have the previous corporate contact information (I can provide that to you).

If all the above fails, I have all my prior correspondence ready to be updated and I plan to refile/resend to those external parties I believe may be able to help me with this issue.

And please don't tell me it is my equipment. Equipment that works fine when the sun is up does not slow itself down when the sun goes down. The fact that speeds are very good early in the day is enough proof the equipment is working as it should.

So let's try to resolve this.

Thank you for your support.

36 REPLIES 36
Amanda

Hello seasterbrook,

We're really sorry this continues to be an issue for you. I was able to review your last interaction with Liz and see that she was still waiting on your speed test results at the end of your case, so I am not sure what was done to resolve your issue. I do not see any FTC or other letter complaints attached to your account - can you provide any of the serve tickets for those? We do store them here physically and I'll be able to talk to the rep you spoke with about it.

I'd like to be able to pass on your speed issues to our engineers for review. They will ask me to confirm the tests were completed on http://testmy.net using the 12 or 18MB download file size for the speed test. Do you have the link to your testmy.net profile or screenshots of the tests run so that I can pass on the information?  Hope we can get this resolved quickly.

Thank you,
Amanda
seasterbrook
New Poster

RE:  "I do not see any FTC or other letter complaints attached to your account - can you provide any of the serve tickets for those? We do store them here physically and I'll be able to talk to the rep you spoke with about it."

Dear Amanda,

I have them all, as well as the letter I sent to HughesNet's President and the corporate rep's name and phone number. I am assuming you do not want me to post all that information publically so where should I email them to?

REF: FTC Complaint #61262476, Maryland CPD #252619-Case# MU-252619., letter to Pradman Kaul, President dated 04/20/15. As far as case#s go, I have had many of them: 45437873, 45583540, 45630292 (try this one first). And I spoke with many reps, but the last one I talked with was from corporate in Maryland. So I can provide you with that name and phone number as well... so you can identify the correct individual.

RE: "They will ask me to confirm the tests were completed on http://testmy.net using the 12 or 18MB download file size for the speed test."

I will start speed tests tonight and post on this site.

Out of curiousity, why testmy.net?... why can't I post to the Hughesnet Performance test site that Hughesnet has direct access to?

Finally, my neighbor who is a HugheNet subscriber, is having the same issues as I am.

Steve
seasterbrook
New Poster

Here is a summary of Testmy.net results:
seasterbrook
New Poster

More Tests
seasterbrook
New Poster

seasterbrook
New Poster

Statement from Testmy.net on my Thursday evening speeds:

"You might have a problem... your connection scored only 5% of the Hughes Network Systems average (95% slower). This does not always mean that you're in bad shape. If the Internet package you subscribe to is slower than most people using your ISP you'll see this message."

Thursday speeds attached below as JPEG. Still less than 1kbps. If I keep taking speed tests every night I will run out of my monthy download allotment. How many speed tests does HughesNet need?

Any update on my case?

seasterbrook
New Poster

I decided to try the official HughesNet Speed Test site and got similiar results. I also went through prior speed tests on the official HughesNet site and can go back to last February and show steep declines in download speeds (under 1Mbps) almost every evening.
seasterbrook
New Poster

Friday night speed test results:
seasterbrook
New Poster

Note: My neighbor has the same exact speeds issues with his HughesNet account.
dhorwath
Sophomore

I have the same issue, I started a post on slow speeds during primetime.  Have you heard anything else further on this?
seasterbrook
New Poster

No, I have not heard from any HughesNet rep on this board since Amanda posted 7 days ago.
seasterbrook
New Poster

I ran tests tonight and instead of being 95% slower than my HughesNet plan speeds, my tests are now 85% lower than my plan speeds. Still incredibly slow for what I am paying for. See attached data. 

I did call the HughesNet Tech Support number, at 866-347-3292 and I ran all the tests they requested even though I told them I did not have an equipment problem (I have been through this 4 or 5 times with them over the years). They refuse to acknowledge that if day speeds are fine and night speeds are brutally slow it that is not indicative of an equipment problem. They also did not want to comment on why my neighbor is having the same problem. And with more illogical reasons than I care to list, they tried everything to make me back down and give up on resolving this.

The bottom line (my opinion): I got the distinct impression the HughesNet Tech Reps (reps are in call centers outside of the USA), are aware that the horribly, slow evening speeds are a known issue and there is nothing they can do about it. It appears heir job to shield HugheNet USA corporate from customers who have these types of complaints (like myself).

Anyway after battling with them for 90 minutes they said they would elevate my case and I would get a call from HughesNet this week (case#102475002). I will let those on the board know if I actually get that call and update the board on my plans to get this speed issue resolved. I am also waiting for Amanda, this board's official rep, to update me on what she has discovered.

Thank You.
Amanda

Hi Mr. Easterbrook,

Sorry about the wait - I responded to both dhorwath and yourself in this thread: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/slow-speeds-only-in-prime-time-hours but I will provide you information on your specific case here in your thread.

Thanks
Amanda
seasterbrook
New Poster

Amanda- Thanks.I look forward to hearing from you. And keep in mind my neighbor has the same problem, except he is very old and cannot pursue this issue on his own. I can provide his information to you if you require.
Amanda

Hi Mr. Easterbrook

Sorry to ask but is it possible you can provide testmy.net 12MB tests for something recent like today or yesterday? I will add token data to your account.

Thank you
Amanda
seasterbrook
New Poster

Ok Amanda, I will test tonight after I get home. Thanks.
seasterbrook
New Poster

I ran more tests on testmy.net tonight using 12MB test files. You can check the data at http://testmy.net/quickstats/MrChange. I also received this message from the Testmy.net site:

"You might have a problem... Your connection scored only 5% of the Hughes Network Systems average (95% slower)..."

I have also attached a jpeg of the speeds. Tonight I am averging 441kbps, which is 95% less than the promised speeds for my plan.

Amanda

Hello Mr. Easterbrook

I sent these up to our engineer who handles these cases. He let me know that your particular Beam (33) is going to get a capacity upgrade in the near future. I will get a solid date confirmed when he does and let you know. We will be applying a discount to your account in the meantime. 

Thank you
Amanda
seasterbrook
New Poster

Thank You Amanda. Test results tonight, so far, were incredibly good compared to the past results. I will check again in a few days.

seasterbrook
New Poster

My speeds are backdown again. Tests taken 02/07/17.