Download Speed Problem Has Returned

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seasterbrook
New Poster

Download Speed Problem Has Returned

This is the third time, in three years, I have come to this community for assistance. Earlier posts are still on this board somewhere. The topics all addressed degradation of download speeds, especially in the evening.

Note: I am on the PowerPro Plan- which is advertised at 10 Mbps download. I am currently getting less than 1 Mbps, as shown below:

Example: download speeds for tonight (taken around 9PM EST):

01/24/17       745 kbps

01/24/17       792 kbps

01/24/17       561 kbps

01/24/17       323 kbps

01/24/17       578 kbps 

And it is just not tonight, I have checked on multiple nights using multiple speed test sites and get similar readings (and no weather interference or obstructions to blame).

This has happened before. In 2015, I experienced the same degradation of downloads speeds during the evening. 

After repeated attempts to get it fixed (which initially were futile), I filed complaints with the Maryland Consumer Protection Division, the Federal Trade Commission and sent a registered letter outlining my speed problems directly to the President of HughesNet, Pradman Kaul.  

After that round of filing and correspondence, I received a call from the HughesNet corporate and a week later, my internet speeds were excellent. Those excellent speeds lasted about 8 months. Since then, download speeds have been steadily going downhill. However, I did not have the time to try to resolve this problem until now.

I am posting now because I am willing to give the HughesNet's reps on this board a chance to resolve this before I spend further time on this issue.

If the issue can be resolved that would be great, but if it cannot be resolved I plan to contact corporate as I have the previous corporate contact information (I can provide that to you).

If all the above fails, I have all my prior correspondence ready to be updated and I plan to refile/resend to those external parties I believe may be able to help me with this issue.

And please don't tell me it is my equipment. Equipment that works fine when the sun is up does not slow itself down when the sun goes down. The fact that speeds are very good early in the day is enough proof the equipment is working as it should.

So let's try to resolve this.

Thank you for your support.

36 REPLIES 36
dhorwath
Sophomore

yeah, me too, not even 1 meg.  Out of curiousity, where are you located?  I'm outside of Springfield, Missouri.  I wonder if my beam is at capacity too
Amanda

Hello Mr. Easterbrook!

So actually your situation and dhorwath's are the same, even though you are on different beams. Engineers have more planned expansions (basically making more room) in the next 2-3 weeks. This should affect both upload and download - I think I failed to mention that on dhorwath's thread. This should really, really help out. I will also provide you a credit same and dhorwath for the next 6 months. Please let me know if you have any questions. I will leave both of your threads open until the work is done so we can review your speeds again.

Thank you,
Amanda
Amanda

Just a quick note.. Looks like you already had a 12 month discount - I've increased it by $5 and it will remain at 12 months

Thanks
Amanda
GW
Advanced Tutor

Amanda, are they planning any expansions on beam 55?

It really is a waste of time and energy doing speed tests anymore but in the last month, the seven I have done range between 577 kbps and 27.5 Mbps.
seasterbrook
New Poster

Amanda, OK, I will start retesting in a couple of weeks.

Amanda,

I ran tests last night on testmy.net. Speeds are betwen 352- 500kbps, or 95-98% less than my HughesNet advertised plan. There have been absolutely no improvements in download speeds since my last post a month ago. No one from HughesNet enginerring has contacted me as I was promised when I was given my last case # on January, 26, 2017 (ref: #102475002). So I am requesting a HughesNet corporate rep call me on the phone so we can discuss this issue before I pursue any further actions in regard to this matter.

Thank You,Speeds 03_08_17 .jpeg

seasterbrook,

There may not be much the engineering can do at this point in time, especially if you happen to be on an HN9000 modem (I couldn't remember if you are or are not).  It's probable that they will offer a free upgrade to you to Gen5 on Jupiter 2 in the next few weeks to put the speed issues into the past.  But, don't quote me on that.

I think that there may also have been delays on beam expansions...

Thanks,
C0RR

I have a HT1100 Modem and am on the PowerPro Plan that promised 10Mbs per second speeds... but I am getting less than 1 kbps in the evening. That has been happening for almost 3 years now. Hughesnet promised they would call me (a couple of months ago) and they did not. If they do not update me (call me) on my situation, and discuss their plans for meeting their contractual promises, then I have no choice then to re-open the case I filed with the Maryland Consumer Protection Division (last year). If I hear nothing by mid next week I will first attempt to talk to the Nancy, a Customer Care rep at corporate. I have her phone number from our discussions a couple of years ago. If that does not work I am going to attempt to call Pradman Kaul (HughesNet President), or at least speak with someone at his office. At the very least he will receive a letter from me as he did the last time this happened. Obviously I am fed up with paying this kind of $  and not getting what I was promised. I am even more fed up regarding the poor customer service communication I am receiving after given a case# (102475002) and being promised someone would call. So that's where I'm at. I will provide updates soon.

Still after many months I have had no response to my case# (102475002). What is the point of a case# if no one responds?  I have not taken any action since my last post because after my last post I was informed a new satellite was going into service (Gen 5). Today I found out it was operational. So now what happens to my service, will it improve?... will HughesNet fix my speed issues? will they put me on Gen 5?  

or... do I still need to pursue this and file my complaints?... what I am looking for is a solution from HugehsNet now that it appears there are options to increasing download speed. After being a customer for 10 years I would hope HughesNet customer service would now try to resolve the issues I have been having for all these years.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

seasterbrook, you have to call and request to be upgraded to Gen5, it is not automatic.

Seasterbrook,

Read the thread right above yours  "receiving less than 17 percent" and welcome to the club of overbooked satellite beams. Throttling by proxy.

Seasterbrook,

By the way I'm surprised you haven't been called a troll yet for being persistent. Could you please PM me with the complaint information including how you contacted the President of the company. I would like to send her the excepts of how my situation has been handled, along with my perspective of what's happening here on this forum. Better yet PM me and I'll respond with my email address so we can communicate off-site.

Update: For the last week speeds have been great. I am still on Gen4 and can actually watch YouTube and Netflix now. So the good news is I have nothing to complain about. I will keep checking and will post if things get worse, hopefully they won't, but for now things are incredibly better than any other time over the last few years.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"...the President of the company. I would like to send her..."

The president of Hughes Network Systems, LLC is Pradman Kaul, a man. The president and CEO of EchoStar is Michael T. Dugan, also a man.

maratsade,

I explained the above to “skybox" who wrote the post you are referring to. 

I forwarded skybox all the correct information if he wanted to file a complaint. I actually posted all the information on who to contact on this site but someone took it down.
Norman
Freshman

I have had problems with Hughes from the day I started seven months ago. Its causing a lot of tension in our family especially when we try to watch tv in the evenings. I have called Hughes several times to no avail. Tonight I told my wife I was going to throw the box in the yard. Its very frustrating. Now all I care is to get rid of Hughes for good before I do or say something bad.