cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimsearle
Sophomore

Download Speed Problem

I had posted on another thread

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Speeds-below-500-kbs-last-night/m-p/78322#M55844

but now my problem is different.  Last night the speed was horrible, then it was ok this morning, now at 10am PDT it's horrible again.

I just started testmy.net today with 2 results so far < 3Mbps

http://testmy.net/quickstats/JimBoCA

59 REPLIES 59
jimsearle
Sophomore

Also, my neighbor whose equipment was installed a couple weeks before me, just over a month ago, is reporting the same problems.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the community and thanks for starting your own thread so we can start working to address your concerns. I pulled up your account and I see you're currently subject to our Fair Access Policy. What this means is you've exceeded your 20 GB monthly data allowance and your speeds have been reduced, but you should still be able to do general browsing and standard quality video streaming despite not seeing the normal 25+ Mbps speeds.

Once your monthly data allowance resets, you'll reach those 25+ Mbps speeds again. If you visit your System Control Center by entering 192.168.0.1 in your internet browser, you'll see that your Anytime Bytes are at 0 and that your monthly data will reset in 20 days.

If you run out of data before your monthly reset, you do have the option to purchase a data token to restore speeds immediately. Since you're new, I'll send you a few tokens to get you back up to speed.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

-DirecTV On Demand or the Dish Hopper can use A LOT of data, you may want to disconnect it when not in use.

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Our community has long time HughesNet subscribers like yourself who can give guidance on better managing your data so you don't run out before the next reset, feel free to ask for tips.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Thanks for the reply, yes I did run out of data today, but not last night, and others in my neighborhood complained about horrible speeds last night.  Part of the reason I ran out of data was speed tests.

Can you explain why the last 3 nights the speed was bad?  I don't want to keep running speed tests and use up all my data again.

I am having the same problem. Yesterday afternoon and today within the last hour. Cannot do streaming for more than a few minutes.

Results of speed testing are all over the place. Testmy shows that others are having the same problem.

Will this be a daily thing in the afternoons?

@lake_woman wrote:

Will this be a daily thing in the afternoons?

Get used to it, HugesNet has way oversubscribed the bird, during the day it's rather good, in the evening it's all over with.

Wayne

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Le'sigh, it took 4-5 years before Jupiter One got to being oversold, you really think they have signed another 1 million people only Jupiter Two in the few months it has been online? -.-

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Le'sigh, it took 4-5 years before Jupiter One got to being oversold, you really think they have signed another 1 million people only Jupiter Two in the few months it has been online? -.-

Subscriber numbers don't matter, what matters is the plans sold to subscribers and how they pull down data.

The fact you admitted HughesNet oversubscribed another bird, is an admision they have no probelm with oversubscribing the new path. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@WT4FEC

Knowing that they oversold on the ES17 isn't the same as saying that the ES19 is already oversold.  A bird with a higher throughput oversold in less than 1/8th the time?  Don't think so.  

Assumptions aren't facts.  Get your FACTS straight.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@WT4FEC

Knowing that they oversold on the ES17 isn't the same as saying that the ES19 is already oversold.  A bird with a higher throughput oversold in less than 1/8th the time?  Don't think so.  

Assumptions aren't facts.  Get your FACTS straight.  

My opinion only, they are having growing pains with the new bird and ground infrastructure. Nothing to do with overselling the design capacity of the satellite itself. Again, my opinion.

GabeU

@BirdDog

I'm with you on that.  And, though it's no doubt frustrating to those affected, growing pains aren't surprising, espcially with something as complicated as this system.  

Hopefully they'll get it ironed out soon.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My business cap on:

HughesNet is not that huge of a company, Echostar is. It is why huge corporations have smaller subsidiary companies such as HughesNet. If one dies, the whole corporation doesn't necessarily go down.

That said, HughesNet would have been very stupid to invest capital on ground equipment before the satellite was successfully launched, in orbit, tested and online. Launching a communications satellite is still a very risky endeavor.

So, I have a feeling there is still a lot of upgrading going on when it comes to the ground side of things like the gateways, servers and pipes into/out of the gateways.

I'd bet the competition hasn't invested much in ground infrastructure to support their new unlaunched satellite.

My screwy opinion again. Could be full of doo-doo.

GabeU

@BirdDog

That makes sense.  I'm sure they're still doing a lot more fine tuning than any of us are aware of, and even on beams/gateways that don't seem to be, or may not be, having any issues at all.  No doubt a work in progress.  

I can just imagine what the headaches are going to be like if/when they get that LEO system that Hughes is somewhat involved with up and running in the future.  Eek!   

Thanks everyone for your opinions, but please start a new thread if you want to carry on those discussions. I created this thread as requested by support and have been working with them to resolve the issue here so I'd rather not get constant updates that don't relate to solving the problems..

GabeU

@jimsearle

You're right.  Apologies.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@jimsearle

You're right.  Apologies.  

Sorry here to, we got off topic a bit. Is what happens on public forums though. Do hope they fix it to your satisfaction.

No problem, I just wanted to keep this for my issue since Liz has been helping and all the responsese kept making me hope there was a final solution.

@Liz it has been overall better than last month, but now tonight it has degraded again to 1.45Mbps

http://testmy.net/quickstats/JimBoCA

Good morning Jim,

Thanks for the update and the link. When you do the tests, can you please ensure you're using the 25 MB test file size? The engineers won't be able to properly evaluate your speed results with those varying test file sizes.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

Thanks, and usually I do pick 25MB, but looks like I didn't a couple times.  Last night it was actually useable, but I didn't run a test.  I'll make sure to do one tonight either way.

Thanks,

Jim

@Liz, so I do select 25MB, but it looks like when there is a very slow connection that testmy.net doesn't honor that.  I just did a test with 25MB specified and the result was 839kbps speed with a 6.4MB size, then a few minutes later I did it again and it used 25MB size with 26.46Mbps speed.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for this explanation, I'll make a note of this in my next correspondence with the engineer. With the latest updates made to the network to address speed concerns, it will take a few weeks for things to balance out. Significant improvements won't be immediate, but gradual. We're going to check in again with engineering next week, so please continue to monitor your performance until then and let us know how it goes. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.