Download speed okay, upload speed horrendous

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gman
New Poster

Download speed okay, upload speed horrendous

Recently (last week or so) upload speed is horrendous average of .09mbs, yes that is right .09mbs. Download seems to be dine at an average of the week around 25. This is testmy.net results.

Gen 4 prime plus. I have HT1100.

Echostar 17 Beam 40.

Any advice other than giving more money?
5 REPLIES 5
Gman
New Poster

Went ahead and did upgrade and performance is so much worse. Of course this is a weekend. So frustrating, cant work, cant skype but hey! At leadt i vet to pay more for worse service.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gman

In order for the reps/engineers to address your speed issue, some speed tests will need to be run.  The instructions are below....

The following layout contains the protocols for the test, but I'll list some of the more important ones here.  Make sure to create an account at testmy.net (if you don't already have one) and run the tests while signed in to that account (that will keep all of the results together for the reps/engineers to look at).  Make sure to run the tests with a device that's connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (no WiFi).  This eliminates any problems that can be caused by WiFi.  You should also disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while running the tests.  That will ensure that nothing else is sapping any bandwidth while running the tests.  If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to use the manual 25MB download test size when running the tests. After you have a few tests run, please paste your testmy.net Results URL into a reply on here, which will enable the reps/engineers to see your test results.  To do so, while signed into testmy.net, click on Results on the upper right, then, when on the Results page, copy the URL in the address box of your browser and paste it in here.   

Additionally, though you can run a few upload speed tests if you like (use the manual 4MB test size for upload tests), and it would probably be a good idea to get one or two in just for reference, the more important tests are the download tests, and the download tests is what you should concentrate on.  

Again, the following layout contains the speed testing protocol, including much of what I just listed.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gman

Make sure to follow the protocols listed for the speed tests.  Please be sure to use the manual 25MB download test size and the manual 4MB upload test size.  Please also use a device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable and please disable the WiFi in the HT2000W while running the tests.  Also, please use the standard test and not the multithreaded test.  

You've used an awful lot of data on tests today (30th) that won't be acceptable to the engineers because they aren't being run using the protocol listed.  

Also, you don't need to run nearly that many tests.  A batch of 3-5 tests at a few different times a day is sufficient.  

Additionally, although most have been, please make sure to run them while signed into your testmy.net account.