Download speed problems with gen5 on echostar 17

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daniel c
Sophomore

Download speed problems with gen5 on echostar 17

I was just wondering if there is a reason my download speeds are being very slow. It all started around last Monday or Tuesday. I was getting a consistant 25 and 26mbps, but all in one day it dropped and now I'm lucky to get 8 to 10mbps in the afternoons. Right now it's like 0.80kbps to 1.0mbps. Tomorrow I will probably be in fap because I have like a gig left, but maybe someone could give me an answer on why my speeds just dropped off suddenly. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting, we can certainly help look into this for you. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics and the system appears to be working fine. Were these speed tests done while directly connected to the modem? I suggest doing that and turning off the wifi networks to ensure we're measuring with only one device on the network.

Also, are you using the built-in wifi router or your own? My diagnostics are indicating there might be a coverage issue, in which case you should try moving the wireless device(s) in question closer to the router to see if speeds improve.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Here are my speed test results 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Dan429

This was with the wifi turned off and hooked directly into modem with ethernet cable.

I was moved to Echostar-17 a couple months ago due to congestion / speed issues on my satellite.

The speed was great since then, until a week or so ago.

Now I am back to 5-6 mps being typical, and much lower at peak times.

I am assuming now this satellite is getting crowded?

Nothing has changed since I ran all the Diagnostics last time.

Same here, they moved me back to echostar 17 due to speed issues also. Back down to 1 mg again

Thanks for the additional info Daniel. My diagnostics are still showing that there's something on the home network that might have an issue. Do you have a different ethernet cable to connect your machine to the modem for speed tests? Also, do you have another machine you can connect directly to the modem for testing? Here's my suggestion:

1. Swap ethernet cables and test with the machine you last used.

2. Note your test results

3. Swap machines and test.

4. Note your test results.

This is to determine whether the ethernet cable or something in your machine (network adapter?) is causing red flags in my diagnostics.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I just ran some more speed test but this time over WiFi and my speeds seem to have improved. I got anywhere from 12 mbps to 22 mbps. If these speeds stay like this I will be happy

Oh good, thank you for your update! Just keep us in the loop if something changes and we'll look into it.

Have a good weekend!

interesting

not sure if we're on the same beam, but my speed was better last night too.  good enough to stream all night, 12mb at 7:00 pm

maybe someone kicked the satellite?