Download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

Download speed

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

76 REPLIES 76
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Other things affect downloads with satellite internet; speed is one of them, weather (either at your location or at the gateway's location) is one of them too, and importantly, latency and congestion are also factors.  These may be at play for you, and honestly, there is nothing you can do but be patient.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

val_t wrote:

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

Patience.  I have been very patient if you ask me.  Have had issues ever since I got on Gen 5.  Oddly my time runs out way quicker now too.  Check stats for yourself.

Val

maratsade

I'm unable to check your stats, but I'm sure a Hughesnet staff member will be able to do so and give you more information. They will not be able to change the laws of physics, though, so the latency will continue to be a factor, as will congestion and weather.  You don't have to be patient, of course, but it helps. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

val_t wrote:

Patience.  I have been very patient if you ask me.  Have had issues ever since I got on Gen 5.  Oddly my time runs out way quicker now too.  Check stats for yourself.

Val

This is from my app I have that shows my usage since before I got on gen 5 to now.   Guess when I got on Gen 5.

Stats for Internet.JPG

maratsade

For the Hughesnet staff to troubleshoot your speeds, there is a specific and required protocol. 

1. Create a free account at Testmy.net.
2. Before you begin testing, disable the WiFi (to see how to disable WiFi on the HT2000W modem, look under "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf)
3. Run the tests while your device is connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable
4. To test download speeds, use the manual 25MB size
5. To test upload speeds, use the manual 4MB size
6. Run 3 to 5 tests, at least 5 minutes apart. Repeat at different times during the day.
7. Post your tests results here -- the URL will look like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Seriously!  I have done all that time and time again.  Supposedly you would have had that all fixed months ago when you said were doing some things.  Want me to drag out the PM.   Nothing is changing other than my time/data is double what I used to run on Gen 4 and way slower speeds.  So much for data saver   I only watch stuff in 480 anyway.

Val

maratsade

I sympathise with you, but there's nothing I can do; and they do need current speed tests to diagnose.  I hope a mod will reply to your post soon. 

All they will show now is  FAP speeds.

Hurry up 2021 when they lauch the other Satellite to fix the overcrowding.  

Val

maratsade

'K. 

What happened to the download pic I posted above?  I will repost it for you all to see. I thought it was 3 mbps in fap?

Val

Test today.JPG

For what its worth that download was started around 1:25 and is now 4:00 my time and is still running.  😞

Not going to start it over so will let it run til it craps out or I shut down tonight.

Val

Have you considered that about 50% of the US has schools closed because of severe weather and there's been congestion because of that?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hello Val,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear this is happening. I have made some adjustments to the modem in hopes this will help. You should notice a difference in a few hours. Please let me know if this helps. 

Thanks,

Felicia

FWIW I got my full data allowence back next day so if you did anything at all it didn't work as My videos still buffer at 480.

Data saver on or off doesn't matter.  There is no place that is suitable to do a speed test so why waist my data allowance.

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

There is no place that is suitable to do a speed test so why waist my data allowance.

https://testmy.net/

Testmy is suitable, accurate, and the site requested to be used for speed testing.  

maratsade

Yes, there is.  Gabe gave you the link.

val_t wrote:

There is no place that is suitable to do a speed test .

GabeU

@val_t 

First, I hope that the adjustments Felicia made help.  

With that said, there are a few things that can affect the download speed of files.  The latency and congestion have already been mentioned, but there is also the source's server's reaction to those things.  There can also be times when the overall speeds are very good, but downloads from specific servers take forever because of those things.  Both Microsoft and Apple have servers that are notorious for this.  What should take mere minutes can sometimes take hours.  A couple of years back I had a 600MB+ update from Microsoft that took over 24 hours, yet my speeds were in the mid to upper 20Mbps range.  It should have only taken minutes.  This is one of the reasons that file downloads are generally not a good measure for speeds.  

Also, speedtest (ookla) isn't always accurate, and is almost always off when it comes to upload speed, or at least it is for me.  Testmy.net is recommended for HughesNet.  

Lastly, FAP speeds, like regular speeds, are an "up to" amount, and they are "typically 1-3Mbps".  

Regarding your Gen5 data usage being higher, I chalk it up to two things, as you may have seen me write.  One is simply having a higher speed, and with some things, like dynamic ads on websites, the higher the speed available, the more data that will be used.  The second is that, and I can only speak for myself on this, though I suspect it's the same with many others, the great data compression that Gen4 had seems to be non-existent with Gen5.  So, with Gen5 vs Gen4, it's not that I'm being "charged" for more data than I'm using, but rather that I'm now being "charged" the "full" amount of data, for lack of a better term.  This also makes me very glad (and lucky) that I chose to go up to the 20GB Gen5 plan from my 15GB Gen4 plan instead of choosing the 10GB Gen5 plan, which I nearly did due to rarely coming close to using 10GB with Gen4.

Again, I hope that the adjustments Felicia made help.  

@GabeU 

I don't get ads.  Have uBlock.  Data saver is just a word and a switch that does nothing if you ask me.  You know all the tests I have done since the beginning.  No sense waisting my time with 25 GB tests over and over.

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

@GabeU 

Data saver is just a word and a switch that does nothing if you ask me.  

Video Data Saver on (default setting) vs Video Data Saver off.  This is what the Video Data Saver does with the service speed while streaming.  Fast dot com mimicks streaming, so it can be used to demonstrate the difference.  

Fast.JPG

Your download speeds, as shown on Testmy, look fine since Jan 20th, overall.  Your upload speeds are another story.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/ValT

Edit:  There has only been one test run recently, and using the incorrect size. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@val_t wrote:

@GabeU 

I don't get ads.  Have uBlock.  Data saver is just a word and a switch that does nothing if you ask me.  You know all the tests I have done since the beginning.  No sense waisting my time with 25 GB tests over and over.

Val

Then it appears things are at an impasse if you won't help troubleshoot the problem. I see no link to any Testmy.net results, something they require for help with speed and buffering problems. The tests they need are 25 MB download size at various times.