cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed

Junior

Re: Download speed

What happened to the download pic I posted above?  I will repost it for you all to see. I thought it was 3 mbps in fap?

Val

Test today.JPG

Junior

For what its worth that download was started around 1:25 and is now 4:00 my time and is still running.  Smiley Sad

Not going to start it over so will let it run til it craps out or I shut down tonight.

Val

Senior Instructor

Have you considered that about 50% of the US has schools closed because of severe weather and there's been congestion because of that?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

That test is not reliable for satellite.  You should use Testmy.net and create an account so it can keep your historical data.  Or you can waste some more time; up to you.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

val_t wrote:

What happened to the download pic I posted above?  I will repost it for you all to see. I thought it was 3 mbps in fap?

Val

Test today.JPG

Highlighted

Hello Val,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear this is happening. I have made some adjustments to the modem in hopes this will help. You should notice a difference in a few hours. Please let me know if this helps. 

Thanks,

Felicia

Distinguished Professor III

@val_t 

First, I hope that the adjustments Felicia made help.  

With that said, there are a few things that can affect the download speed of files.  The latency and congestion have already been mentioned, but there is also the source's server's reaction to those things.  There can also be times when the overall speeds are very good, but downloads from specific servers take forever because of those things.  Both Microsoft and Apple have servers that are notorious for this.  What should take mere minutes can sometimes take hours.  A couple of years back I had a 600MB+ update from Microsoft that took over 24 hours, yet my speeds were in the mid to upper 20Mbps range.  It should have only taken minutes.  This is one of the reasons that file downloads are generally not a good measure for speeds.  

Also, speedtest (ookla) isn't always accurate, and is almost always off when it comes to upload speed, or at least it is for me.  Testmy.net is recommended for HughesNet.  

Lastly, FAP speeds, like regular speeds, are an "up to" amount, and they are "typically 1-3Mbps".  

Regarding your Gen5 data usage being higher, I chalk it up to two things, as you may have seen me write.  One is simply having a higher speed, and with some things, like dynamic ads on websites, the higher the speed available, the more data that will be used.  The second is that, and I can only speak for myself on this, though I suspect it's the same with many others, the great data compression that Gen4 had seems to be non-existent with Gen5.  So, with Gen5 vs Gen4, it's not that I'm being "charged" for more data than I'm using, but rather that I'm now being "charged" the "full" amount of data, for lack of a better term.  This also makes me very glad (and lucky) that I chose to go up to the 20GB Gen5 plan from my 15GB Gen4 plan instead of choosing the 10GB Gen5 plan, which I nearly did due to rarely coming close to using 10GB with Gen4.

Again, I hope that the adjustments Felicia made help.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@val_t wrote:

This is from my app I have that shows my usage since before I got on gen 5 to now.   Guess when I got on Gen 5.

Let me see now....  Jan 2018? 

I too experienced a uptick in data usage when I switched to gen5.  I've been running a lot of tests since then, and have come to the conclusion that Hughes gen5 consistently over reports data ,4 to .5 gig a cycle.  Not enough to account for the increases you are seeing.  I suspect that you may have acquired a a data leech about the time you went to gen5.   Tricky creatures, those data leeches, they sometimes hide behind an upgrade. Smiley Embarassed)>

"There is no such thing as luck. There is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN

Junior

Your Right!  I actually got on Gen 5 Dec 29th.  I was on Gen 4 prior to that and Dish told me to upgrade to fix the problem and has been bad ever since.  Paying same for less now actually, they suggested the 30 GB plan as I rarely got close to it but just a few times.  I had the 50/50 plan on Gen 4.  Not only I still have same issues but have new 2 year contract with both because of it. 

At least I have a ticket in if I can find somewhere else to go.  Pretty much stuck here til something better comes along.  All my research has shown is all Sat companies here are in same boat, big issues with speed that was promised.

Junior

FWIW I got my full data allowence back next day so if you did anything at all it didn't work as My videos still buffer at 480.

Data saver on or off doesn't matter.  There is no place that is suitable to do a speed test so why waist my data allowance.

Val

Distinguished Professor III

@val_t wrote:

There is no place that is suitable to do a speed test so why waist my data allowance.

https://testmy.net/

Testmy is suitable, accurate, and the site requested to be used for speed testing.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit