Download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

Download speed

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

76 REPLIES 76
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Val's results link is https://testmy.net/quickstats/ValT

BirdDog wrote:

I see no link to any Testmy.net results, something they require for help with speed and buffering problems. The tests they need are 25 MB download size at various times.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Val's results link is https://testmy.net/quickstats/ValT

BirdDog wrote:

I see no link to any Testmy.net results, something they require for help with speed and buffering problems. The tests they need are 25 MB download size at various times.

Thanks, didn't see it posted before.

Not very many and pretty old though. Plus looks like most on automatic file size.

maratsade

Yes, that definitely needs to be addressed -- more tests, in batches, and the right file sizes. 

BirdDog wrote:

Thanks, didn't see it posted before.

Not very many and pretty old though. Plus looks like most on automatic file size.

GabeU

@BirdDog 

@maratsade 

I didn't look close enough when I made my comment above.  The tests I was referring to are from Jan 20th 2018, not 2019.  😮 😮 😮  I need to pay better attention.  

@val_t   You need to get some tests in, using the correct sizes.  As others have stated, there is not going to be any help if you refuse to take part in the troubleshooting.  You haven't run any tests using the correct sizes in over a year.

I would like to know what you changed in my settings please.

Reason I am asking is I have it set to 480 but will only start them in 360 even when can go higher.

You want 3 tests of 25 MB how far apart?

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

I would like to know what you changed in my settings please.

Reason I am asking is I have it set to 480 but will only start them in 360 even when can go higher.

Val

Assuming you're referring to Youtube videos, no one but you, and your speed and congestion amount, has any control over that.  If you change a few to 480p and it works, they should start playing in that automatically.  It has to do with what you can normally play them in.  Youtube remembers your settings somewhat.  

I didn't change it from 480 is why I asked.  I edited my previous post.  Please let me know.

Also, is there a daily limit that it holds me to?

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

I didn't change it from 480 is why I asked.  I edited my previous post.  Please let me know.

Val

It can change on it's own, depending on your ability (service speed and congestion) to play the videos at the given time.    

Regarding the tests, a batch of 3-5 tests, each test spaced at least five minutes apart, a few times throughout the day.

Can I do 3 tests  10 min apart?  Would that work?

edit

will only let me do 5 times not one for 3 times

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

Can I do 3 tests  10 min apart?  Would that work? 

Yep.  That's fine.  

test 1 done.

All done

sorry .... earlier I forgot to log in 😞

Vatest1.JPGl

test2.JPG

test3.JPG

@MarkJFine

I do not live where there was severe weather.  Didn't see your earlier post

Val

maratsade

The severe weather can also be where your gateway is at, which is always a different state from where the user is located.

val_t wrote:

I do not live where there was severe weather.  Didn't see your earlier post

Val

Can someone explain to me why I show 23MB upload on Saturday?  Only thing I have uploaded is to this site as pics and none were on saturday.   Also look at the others.  

ValUpload.JPG

upload 1st.JPGupload 3rd.JPGupload 4th.JPGupload 5th.JPGupload 6th.JPG

maratsade

What kinds of activities did you do online on Saturday?

@val_t wrote:

Can someone explain to me why I show 23MB upload on Saturday? 

I was painting Beehives Saturday.  🙂

Val

maratsade

That sounds very cool!   I imagine automated processes can upload info even if no one is on the Web, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in about this. 

Looks like is doing on bonus time.  So how do I find out what is doing it as computers are off at 10 pm and not on again til around 6 to 7 am.

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

Can someone explain to me why I show 23MB upload on Saturday?  Only thing I have uploaded is to this site as pics and none were on saturday.  

Looks like is doing on bonus time.  So how do I find out what is doing it as computers are off at 10 pm and not on again til around 6 to 7 am.

Keep in mind that the Bonus Zone is from 2AM to 8AM.  Computers can automatically upload data.  Some websites can upload data, as well.  pcmag.com is one that does, which is why I have it blocked.  Each time I go to that site is uploads 15MB to 20MB worth of data, and because I don't know what it's uploading, nor why, I just block my access to it, as I'd surely forget to avoid it.  

If your computer(s) is Windows based you should consider installing Glasswire.  It will tell you how much data is being used, and just what's using it, whether it be Windows processes, programs, websites, etc.   It's also free, and many of us use it.  Unless there was something you were specifically doing that you can remember regarding the upload(s), it's unlikely that you'll figure out what it was without something like Glasswire having been installed at the time of the upload(s).  Also, keep in mind that some devices connected via WiFi can still transfer data, even when they appear to be off, so if you have WiFi connected devices and your modem remains plugged in, this may also account for the upload data usage.

Thanks GabeU.  I am aware devices do that.  The only device I have that is supposed to be connected is my printer. 

I think it may have been my TV....... checking that this morning.  I have taken it off wifi.

Val

@GabeU 

My app shows all applications etc.  This is what it shows.  This is for since Feb 1.  Do you see anything that you find odd or no.  This is for All users.

Val

All users applications.JPG