Download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
val_t
Senior

Download speed

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

76 REPLIES 76

@GabeU 

Is the Bonus Time in my Time Zone? Or a default time zone. 

Val

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

2-8 your time zone.

Thank you @maratsade 

Is the hughesnet speed test accurate?

Val

maratsade

I don't use the proprietary one (doesn't even load for me anymore).  Testmy.net is better (IMO)  and it provides a lot of information, plus it's the one the engineers at Hughesnet seem to prefer.  

val_t wrote:

Is the hughesnet speed test accurate?

Val

Ok I asked because my app says one thing and it says another but the upload speeds are very close.

I believe my apps download speed is correct.  it would explain the buffering I get on videos. 😞  Also the KBs are very close to what youtube shows on nerd stats as loading speed.

Val

app speed test.JPGFeb7 Speed test.JPG

maratsade

I didn't know about the stats for nerds on YT.  I just checked them, and they're very cool. 

As for HN's proprietary speed test, I can't find this now, but someone, @GabeU maybe, had posted once that this speed test measures the speed between the modem and the satellite, and not so much the speed out on the Web.  I think he had also mentioned that the fast.com test measures streaming speed and could give an idea of the speed of your system specifically for streaming (I'm going by memory here, so I may be totally getting this wrong).  It may be interesting for you to run a fast.com test and see what it shows. 

In my case, videos buffer due to congestion.  If congestion is low, I can easily watch videos when speed is not so good. YMMV.

GabeU

@val_t 

1.  Fast.com mimics streaming, causing the Video Data Saver to kick in.  Unless you turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver, you'll never see a fast.com result much over 3Mbps.  Fast.com also uses copious amounts of data when a test is run with the VDS off or snoozed.    

2.  The HughesNet speed test is finicky, for lack of a better term.  It's not always accurate.  For this reason, and others, please use testmy.net and the aforementioned test sizes.  

3.  Whatever that app is that you're using, I can't really tell if anything's amiss.  It's only shows very basic information.  

4.  The same app, regarding the speed, is in MBps.  It shows what your network adapter is seeing.  It also appears to only be a monitor, not a test.  What is the app?  

Networx is the app.   I knew someone would bring up the MB vs Mb and you see my response to that above.

Val

I turned off the data saver and ran a test on Fast.com  here is the result.fast data saver off.JPG

Go figure 😞  

Val

The networx app also has a speed meter ....... I didn't show itall due to my IP and location info.  Just showed the results.  I am sure you will find something to say about that too.  😞

Here is the top of what it looks like.

speed meter.JPG

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

The networx app also has a speed meter

Yes, I'm aware of the speed meter in Networx.  I have it, but haven't used it in a while and forgot that it had that test.  With this said, the accuracy is questionable for our speed testing purposes.  

Also, for your info, to get decimal (Mbps) instead of binary (MBps), change the Multiplier to "kilo".  Also tick "Ignore local traffic within the LAN".  

Settings.JPG

As well, if you use the graph to monitor your network and it's in MBps, change the following if you want to see it in Mbps.  

Graph.JPG

I did the 3 tests you asked for.  I posted them and they are on the link to my testmy.net.   Did you even look at what I posted? 

Val

GabeU

@val_t wrote:

I did the 3 tests you asked for.  I posted them and they are on the link to my testmy.net.   Did you even look at what I posted? 

Val

Yes, I did look at what you posted.  Did you look at what I posted, as in the instructions for the speed tests?  Maratsade's?  Now Felicia's?  The instructions clearly state, 3-5 tests spaced at least five minutes apart, and at different times of the day.  I explained further, saying "Regarding the tests, a batch of 3-5 tests, each test spaced at least five minutes apart, a few times throughout the day."

I just fininshed one test of 25 MB  There will be 4 more following it and done an hour apart.

I will do 5 more this evening around 5 pm my time.

Val

maratsade

They should be 5 minutes apart. EDIT:  According to the instructions often posted on this site, they should be at least 5 minutes apart (but like @GabeU says, an hour is too much). 

GabeU

@val_t 

Though they can be a little longer than five minutes apart, they shouldn't be an hour apart.  The tests are asked to be run the way they are for a reason.   

maratsade

n/c

Ok I misread it.   Thought I could spread them out. (throughout the day)  Glad I didn't do the ones last night as I got sidetracked with other stuff and forgot to run them.

What time of day do you need now?  Evening time?

Val

What exactly are they able to see from these tests other than the speeds.

In the beginning I did all these tests for you and nothing ever changed.  The only thing I got was we created a ticket for you etc.  Then I got another reply at a later date that it was something else I stated in a prior post. 

You can just close this ticket as I am done doing tests that won't have an outcome other than what I was told before.  Will just wait and see what happens in 2021 with more beams.

Hopefully something will come along before then in my area.

Val

GabeU

@val_t 

Okay, let's clarify the speed testing frequency. 

A batch of 3-5 tests, with each test spaced at least five minutes apart (say, up to ten minutes), and batch of tests a few times a day.  Preferably a batch in the morning, a batch in the afternoon, and a batch in the evening.  Those are the ideal times.  Not everyone can do that, but running a batch of tests a few times a day, at what times you can, would help.  

The tests give speeds, speed patterns, and can give congestion information.  

Whether you do the tests or not is up to you.  

I can't give you a ticket, nor close one, nor anything else that a HughesNet employee does.  I am not a HughesNet employee.  I am a fellow customer who has taken the time out of his day to help a fellow customer, but I, too, think I'm about done with this thread and this attempt.  I started regularly coming on here three years ago to help fellow customers to the best of my ability.  Customers who were having issues or simply had questions.  What I didn't come on here to do was explain, over and over, and justify, over and over, the reasons for testing, the reason for one test over another, and the reasons for the protocols for those tests.  So, I'm done with this.   

Good luck to you.

GabeU

@val_t 

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't at least some of this time being spent on testing all of these other things that aren't really going to help the reps/engineers be better spent on getting some testmy.net speed tests in?  Remember, they're going to need a batch of tests run at few different times of the day.  

Satisfying your own curiosity and doing your own troubleshooting is fine, but they are going to need some additional testmy.net tests in order to be able to help determine what might be going on.