cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed

Professor

Re: Download speed

It always pays to research the service before subscribing.  From https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

Q: Why don't real-time games work?

A: With satellite service, the data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half-second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server. That will prevent real-time, multi-player games from establishing or maintaining a reliable connection with the gaming server.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Sigmili wrote:

can’t even play my favorite Game Destiny 😔

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

It always pays to research the service before subscribing.  From https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

Q: Why don't real-time games work?

A: With satellite service, the data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half-second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server. That will prevent real-time, multi-player games from establishing or maintaining a reliable connection with the gaming server.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Sigmili wrote:

can’t even play my favorite Game Destiny 😔

And actually for a two way communication, client sending and Internet site replying, it is double that distance so around 90K miles total.

Senior

@GabeU@maratsade@BirdDog @Liz @Brooke @MarkJFine 

Just want to say thank you all for helping me try and get this working.  I realize you are all are volunteers on this board.  With the exception of Liz I believe.  I am at the point that I do not think there is Anything you all can do to fix it.  I was told it is because of over selling.  I know there is high latency but I had NO ISSUES with any of it until about 3 months before I switched to 5G.  I was on the 4G for over 2 years with no issues.  Dish insisted that if I switch to the new 5G it would fix all the issues.  Doing this started all my contracts over and all prices went up.  I also can't go back to 4G either as it is phased out.  I am pretty sure Dish knew there were still issues on 5G but just wanted to get rid of all the internet side of the dealing with issues. 

I do not live in Town so satellite is all I can get.  I could go to another Satellite company but it looks like they are having the same issues as here, so that is not an option either.  I will have to stick it out til you send up another satellite in 2021 and hopefully all will work properly then.

Val  

You can close this thread if you wish.

Professor

I'm sorry your issues weren't solved, Val.  Smiley Sad  Satellite internet is tricky; it seems it doesn't take much to choke the system. 

Assistant Professor

Sorry you've had these problems. I would say that it's more likely the beam you're on is 'overused' rather than 'oversold'. It may be possible that the beam has more than the typical amount of people with smart homes / IoT devices that are loading it down on a constant basis.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

Tests are few at Testmy.net with a couple really bad but overall not that terrible. Maybe a case where speed tests and real world don't line up.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/ValT

Distinguished Professor IV

@val_t 

I'm sorry that the issues you're experiencing couldn't be resolved.  In practice performance may not always be what you'd expect from the overall given speed, and it's unfortunate when that happens. 

I hope that, at some point, those real world results may start to more closely match the expectations.  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit