cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed

Junior

Download speed

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

76 REPLIES 76
Professor

Re: Download speed

Other things affect downloads with satellite internet; speed is one of them, weather (either at your location or at the gateway's location) is one of them too, and importantly, latency and congestion are also factors.  These may be at play for you, and honestly, there is nothing you can do but be patient.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

val_t wrote:

I know I am in FAP but even at 1 Mbps I should be able to download these updates for my computer in 6 minutes.

What gives?  I been download for over an hour now.

Val

Download speed vs time.JPG

Junior

Patience.  I have been very patient if you ask me.  Have had issues ever since I got on Gen 5.  Oddly my time runs out way quicker now too.  Check stats for yourself.

Val

Professor

I'm unable to check your stats, but I'm sure a Hughesnet staff member will be able to do so and give you more information. They will not be able to change the laws of physics, though, so the latency will continue to be a factor, as will congestion and weather.  You don't have to be patient, of course, but it helps. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

val_t wrote:

Patience.  I have been very patient if you ask me.  Have had issues ever since I got on Gen 5.  Oddly my time runs out way quicker now too.  Check stats for yourself.

Val

Junior

This is from my app I have that shows my usage since before I got on gen 5 to now.   Guess when I got on Gen 5.

Stats for Internet.JPG

Professor

For the Hughesnet staff to troubleshoot your speeds, there is a specific and required protocol. 

1. Create a free account at Testmy.net.
2. Before you begin testing, disable the WiFi (to see how to disable WiFi on the HT2000W modem, look under "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf)
3. Run the tests while your device is connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable
4. To test download speeds, use the manual 25MB size
5. To test upload speeds, use the manual 4MB size
6. Run 3 to 5 tests, at least 5 minutes apart. Repeat at different times during the day.
7. Post your tests results here -- the URL will look like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Junior

Seriously!  I have done all that time and time again.  Supposedly you would have had that all fixed months ago when you said were doing some things.  Want me to drag out the PM.   Nothing is changing other than my time/data is double what I used to run on Gen 4 and way slower speeds.  So much for data saver   I only watch stuff in 480 anyway.

Val

Professor

I sympathise with you, but there's nothing I can do; and they do need current speed tests to diagnose.  I hope a mod will reply to your post soon. 

Junior

All they will show now is  FAP speeds.

Hurry up 2021 when they lauch the other Satellite to fix the overcrowding.  

Val

Professor

'K.