Download test is fast but usability is horrible due to slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fwmi

Download test is fast but usability is horrible due to slow speeds

https://testmy.net/quickstats/fwmarina

There are my test results but I often time out on webpages loading.  I cannot stream anything as it all craps out.  Forget speedtest.net it won't work at all so I did the testmy.net test per a pinned posting.

Sure, downloads are great if you are only downloading files, but it seems like the dish/satalite loose connection as I saw that several times during the testing.  I have a clear line south and not a cloud in the sky so that isn't the issue.  It is a new system, less than 3 weeks old, and I'm about to tell someone to come get the **bleep** thing as my T1 system I had could at least stream ESPN - this one won't even allow it to connect.

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fwmi   

Regarding your tests, though the sizes you used will be acceptable, you don't need to use the 12MB size file for upload tests, but rather the 4MB file.  25MB for download and 4MB for upload.  As you said, though, your speed test results look fine.  Speedtest doesn't tend to get along very well with HughesNet.  Why is anyone's guess.  It doesn't work for me, either, and I am having no issues with HughesNet.  Testmy.net is the requested testing, and the required testing for speed issues.  

When you're normally online, are you connected via LAN cable or WiFi?  Do you notice any difference if you try the alternate method? 

For a test: With the WiFi disabled, and using a single device that is connected via LAN cable, do you still experience the issue?  To disable the WiFi, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Specifically, 5.c.  Please make sure to disable each tab individually.  IOW, uncheck SSID enable for the 2.4GHz tab, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for each of the other three tabs.  If you uncheck SSID enable for all four tabs, then click Save Settings, the settings won't hold, so they have to be done individually.  To re-enable the WiFi, re-check SSID enable and click Save Settings for each of the four tabs, and again, individually.    

Is it only certain websites that time out for you, or does it seem to happen to any website, regardless of what it is?  

Regarding the streaming, have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver?  If the streamed content is in HD, it is especially important to do so in order to avoid the buffering that the Video Data Saver being ON can cause.  

Lastly, though it's understandable that you're frustrated, please refrain from using profanity in this community.  

Liz

Hello fwmi,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. The tech will reach out first to confirm an appointment before arriving. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

RazorbackFans

I have had the same issues. I can’t stream anything on my Fire Cube at all!! We have had a tech out 3 times, the radio changed twice and the modem changed. Any call to tech support ends in them telling me it’s my Fire Cube but nothing has changed (other than changing internet services) and never had a problem with the cube. How do I get out of this nightmare?!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RazorbackFans 

I suggest starting a new topic in Tech Support to both troubleshoot your issue and keep it separate. 

To straight up answer your last question, you can call 866-347-3292 if you wish to cancel the service.

Liz

Good morning fwmi,

Just checking in on your site and I see the tech visit was completed successfully. Feel free to drop by the community again if you have any concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!