Hughesnet Community

Dreadfully slow download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MDH

Dreadfully slow download speeds

I had my HughesNet Dish installed today and I'm highly disappointed with the download speed. The buffering times while watching a YouTube video was longer than the video itself. Now I've discovered it's a known and persistent issue not mentioned (of course) by the sales people. What's going on?

1 REPLY 1
LadyoftheLake
Freshman

I find the you need to turn off the Video Data Saver to watch YouTube.
This can be accessed through your usage meter.

What is Video Data Saver?

Learn more about the benefits of the Video Data Saver feature and how to manage your video settings

Video Data Saver automatically adjust streaming video for great picture quality while using less data.How it works:HughesNet automatically adjusts data rates for streaming video to deliver great picture quality while using less of your data. Speeds will adjust to deliver a DVD quality experience - allowing you to watch the shows you love and use less of your data. Streaming is optimized with video streams at DVD quality (up to 480p). For best performance, leave any video streaming applications at their default automatic resolution setting. Most video services are supported. Not all video sources are identifiable.Can I watch movies in HD with HughesNet?Yes! Your service is automatically set to stream videos at DVD Quality (480p). If at any time you want to turn this feature off – to watch a movie in High-Definition, you can do so from the three locations listed below. You can also choose to temporarily disable the Video Data Saver for up to 4 hours using the Snooze button. It’s easy to switch to HD - simply use the Mobile App, visit HughesNet Support Center, or use the Usage Meter.Where can I manage my video settings?Manage Video Data Saver on The Usage MeterManage Video Data Saver on The Mobile AppManage Video Data Saver on myHughesNet.comStreaming providers may use progressive or adaptive video streaming. The format in which they deliver video can affect your streaming experience. Read more about Adaptive and Progressive video Streaming.