Dropped calls again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kashblack
Freshman

Dropped calls again

Was on the phone on 7/19, line went dead. Looked at the modem, only the power light was illuminated. Unit went through multiple restart cycles, took about 30 minutes before it was up and working again. Was just on the phone (2:57 CST), call dropped out, no dial tone. Checked 30 seconds later, started working again. Why does making a phone work have to be so hard?
15 REPLIES 15
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Storms at your location or the gateway?
Liz

Hi kashblack,

I'll run some diagnostics to make sure your modem is running normally.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi kashblack,

Diagnostics look good. I did check the weather in Billings, MT where your gateway is and they did have thunderstorms yesterday, which may have been the cause for yesterday's drop. Today, the weather seems nicer, but apparently there still are stray thunderstorms.

You're doing the right things if you find anything the matter, power cycling is a good first step to addressing connection issues. If these dropped calls keep occurring regularly, please let me know so we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

kashblack
Freshman

Ok, phone is out again, figured it out when we started receiving voice mails over DSL. Looked at the modem, only the power and LAN lights are on. Would someone please run diagnostics before we touch anything

Thanks
kashblack
Freshman

Weather is clear, 92F, 67% RH, wind 1-2 MPH
Liz

Hi kashblack,

I can't seem to access your modem. I'll send a tech out to replace it and double check your cabling.  Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Saturday, Jul 23,
2016 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM.

Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #55164856 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes. 

Thanks,
Liz

kashblack
Freshman

Liz:
Thanks for the follow up . After your check, we cycled power on the Satellite modem, it came back up and seemed to be working. Lights still out on the phone modem, cycled power on it, things seem to be working (now have dial tone). We have noticed that touching / wiggling the power connector on the satellite modem will cause lights to go out. If you check your records, you will see that this is a replacement modem, the prior one had the same issue. When the current modem was first installed, the power connection seemed solid, but it seems to have gotten more touchy over time. Not sure why it would degrade, it doesn't get touched.
Liz

Odd. Well a free site visit wouldn't hurt. The tech should be doing an overall checkup of your system.

-Liz

kashblack
Freshman

They came out, tests showed a problem in the radio, replaced it and re-pointed the dish. We shall see. Thanks for setting this up
kashblack
Freshman

Used the phone at 8:00PM CST, call dropped out after 4 minutes. Second light from the top on the modem was out. Came back after 15 minutes. What's the solution?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lots of storms tonight at Gateway locations, could be the problem. Satellite VoIP can not be relied upon 24/7 if you want honest answer.

Any storms to south where dish is pointed?

Do you know your Gateway location?

It is wireless communication, not as reliable as ground based cable.
kashblack
Freshman

Believe our gateway is in Billings, MT. Dish has a clear view of the equator, it was clouding up when the call was lost. Have storms to the north of us, but those a opposite to where the dish is pointing. When we signed up there was no mention of reliability being a concern...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No telephone service is guaranteed 24/7 let alone satellite. No ISP guarantees 24/7 uninterrupted service that I know of.  Here is the agreement for VoIP: http://legal.hughesnet.com/VoiceServiceAgreement/index.cfm

HughesNet states their VoIP service should not be relied upon as sole emergency phone service.

Got to ask. You never watched a news show where the reporter was being watched over satellite and suddenly they lost the feed?
kashblack
Freshman

Of course, who has this agreement in front of them when speaking with a customer service representative, who is paid to know the strengths and weaknesses of the product they are selling? Yes, I agree that no service is 100% reliable, but dropping calls on a daily basis for a fixed point (i.e. not mobile) service isn't something to be proud of.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I am not an employee but a customer just like you. Satellite internet is for those of us with not much other option. It has served me well for 12 years though. It is not some miracle service like depicted in Star Wars and other Sci-Fi movies.

Please read my reply here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/need-unlimited-data?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5...