cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls again

Freshman

Re: Dropped calls again

Used the phone at 8:00PM CST, call dropped out after 4 minutes. Second light from the top on the modem was out. Came back after 15 minutes. What's the solution?
Assistant Professor

Lots of storms tonight at Gateway locations, could be the problem. Satellite VoIP can not be relied upon 24/7 if you want honest answer.

Any storms to south where dish is pointed?

Do you know your Gateway location?

It is wireless communication, not as reliable as ground based cable.
Freshman

Believe our gateway is in Billings, MT. Dish has a clear view of the equator, it was clouding up when the call was lost. Have storms to the north of us, but those a opposite to where the dish is pointing. When we signed up there was no mention of reliability being a concern...
Assistant Professor

No telephone service is guaranteed 24/7 let alone satellite. No ISP guarantees 24/7 uninterrupted service that I know of.  Here is the agreement for VoIP: http://legal.hughesnet.com/VoiceServiceAgreement/index.cfm

HughesNet states their VoIP service should not be relied upon as sole emergency phone service.

Got to ask. You never watched a news show where the reporter was being watched over satellite and suddenly they lost the feed?
Freshman

Of course, who has this agreement in front of them when speaking with a customer service representative, who is paid to know the strengths and weaknesses of the product they are selling? Yes, I agree that no service is 100% reliable, but dropping calls on a daily basis for a fixed point (i.e. not mobile) service isn't something to be proud of.
Assistant Professor

I am not an employee but a customer just like you. Satellite internet is for those of us with not much other option. It has served me well for 12 years though. It is not some miracle service like depicted in Star Wars and other Sci-Fi movies.

Please read my reply here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/need-unlimited-data?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5...