cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping signal strength

New Poster

Dropping signal strength

We have lost considerable signal strength after 3 or so years of a stable reading of 95 or 96. We now read anywhere from 65 to 75 and notice a difference in our connection. S-L-O-W or unable to….whatever.

We live in remote Alaska, on Kodiak Island. No phones, poor radio reception and no roads…you can visit by boat or air. The satellite is very important to us and our safety.

Before we climb on the roof (we are in our 70s) to check the cable connections and attempt an improved the dish alignment, I am hoping someone can look at our system from your end. Last week we did have an unusual throttle event.

We had guest visiting and we often find ourselves being throttled as people from the ‘real world’ have no idea about using limited broadband. (but who doesn’t want to send a photo of that 120 pound halibut.)  In this case we were throttled and then re-loaded to the most recent amount and then throttled again. Not a typical happening.

It was about then (actually I can’t be sure of the exact time) that we lost our signal strength so I am wondering if it happened due to something out of our control.

I’d appreciate any suggestions or assistance. Thanking you in advance for your help.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Dropping signal strength

Hi wclodge,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site, no alarms or anything out of the ordinary. I also see you're on a legacy system and plan, the HN7000 with the Power 150 plan. Have you considered getting Gen 5? Instead of a daily allowance in the megabytes, our basic plan is 10 GB for the whole month for $49.99, which is $30 cheaper than your current plan. 

For more details you may contact the closest available AK retailer: https://www.hughesnet.com/coverage-areas

Edit: C0RR0SIVE pointed out that Kodiak Island is outside of our new satellite's footprint, so upgrading to Gen 5 isn't an option.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Associate Professor

@Liz

Gen5 most likely isn't available for wclodge from the information that is public, or at least, service doesn't seem like it would be reliable...  It looks like the beam just barely misses Kodiak Island...

Kodiak Island is circled in red below...

hughes_gen5_coverage_alaska.png

Yikes, thanks for the heads up C0RR0SIVE.

Hi wclodge,

Let's start with some basic troubleshooting before we resort to a tech visit. Don't worry about checking the cables at the dish, I don't want to endanger you; checking the cable connectors on the modem will suffice. 

After checking the cables, please connect directly to the modem, does browsing feel better or worse?

What LEDs are lit on the modem?

I'm about to head out of the office and won't be able to do much more troubleshooting tonight. I highly suggest calling us at 866.347.3292 where you will be put in touch with our team specially trained to handle Alaska customers.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Hi Liz,
We'd love to upgrade but the HN7000 is THE ONLY modem and plan that is offered in our area...not sure about other Alaskan sites but I believe that is true of most of Alaska. CORRESIVE is correct. We believe these are archaic and rebuilt modems but....the only choice for us, so many of us continue to struggle with the unique problems. We previously were with Starband but they pulled out of our area and HughesNet is our only option. There are benefits in living off the grid in remote Alaska but satellite service is not one of them.

Back to my problem of a declining signal strength. We have checked the modem connections, rebooted the modem, tried the direct connection with not much difference, rebooted the router and the strength signal remains the same. What can we do, other than replace all the cables or re-align the dish, that would affect the signal strength? Just don't want to miss anything in the thought process.

We have NO PHONE.....it would cost $375 (total of $750 to get him back to town) to fly a tech out here or a 5 1/2 hour boat trip..one way. We generally count on ourselves and the HughesNet community.

Thanks

Honorary Alumnus

Hi @wclodge

Former 7000 user here.

I suggest that you perform a "push-pull" test if you can safely access the rear of the dish.

Have someone stand behind the dish and grasp the left and right edges of the dish and push with one hand and pull with the other while having someone observe the sig on the SCC. Do this first in one direction and note if sig goes up or down (this would be trying to force the dish to the left (east) and then to the right (west))

Follow this by grasping the dish (from the rear) at the top and bottom and repeat for up and down.

Roughly speaking, if you see improvement in one direction or another you need a re-point.

Make note of your transponder assignment. It is possable that you had been moved to another transponder. That is what happened to me. My sig dropped from around 90 to about 48. That did not leave enough "headroom" for winter weather loses.

New Poster

Hello Gwalk900,

Thanks for that suggestion.....we were about to try something like that but wanted to be sure we were covering all bases. We will do that in the next couple of days.  Can you direct me to the location of the transponder assignment? Probably in the System Info but I am unsure which item has that information....is it the 'receive frequency'?

Thanks, so much, for your input. 

Luckily we are able to text to our kids so we're not totally out of it!!

Honorary Alumnus

I'll dig through some of my old screenshots. I've been on a  1100 Gen4 for several years now.

They have been consolidating transponders for years now as leases end and are not renewed. Not many 7000 birds in use by Hughes anymore.

Just that change cut my sig in half plus the newer one felt more conjested.

Honorary Alumnus

Its located on the System Info page.

Longitude being the location of the satellite you are assigned to and aimed at.

Receive Frequency being the transponder you are on.

7000 Sys Info.PNG

New Poster

Hey Liz,

Just sending an update. Our signal strength has increased to the 80's but still not back to our usual 90's. Magic.... and it's better but not back to our normal.

Gwalk900 mentioned his experience with a transponder change. Wondering if you can check to see if we have been recently moved to another transponder. My reading is '127 West' and '1149.5 MHZ'. I continue to ponder the change and try to understand. I assume that a transponder change is out of our control and a dish re-alignment would not affect any change in signal strength. ( or am I underestimating my abilities? Ha, ha.)

We may try a "push - pull" testy on the dish but think we'll go fishing today...so will let you know what we experience!

Appreciate your assistance.