E-Mail bounce back Suspected Spam

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chargerdreamer
Freshman

E-Mail bounce back Suspected Spam

This is the third time this has happened this year.

When I try to send an e-mail it is bounced back as suspected spam.

I have also been told that when a friend tried to send me an e-mail it was bounced back as suspected spam.

Remy fixed it the first time. Liz the second time. In both cases it was something on the Hughes side.

Please fix and can you please let me know why this is happening and what I should do to prevent.

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't think you can prevent this from happening. There may be subscribers using the HughesNet network to send spam, so other networks flag the domain and you get bounceback.  The reps can probably fix the problems on a case by case basis, but it's likely they can't prevent the problem from recurring. Spam is a fact of life.

In any case, hopefully @Liz , @Remy , @Damian , or @Amanda can help you again. 

What is happening is that people run sketchy apps and games with malware on their phones and computers that hijack their email account and secretly send spam. The spam gets reported to blacklists who add the IP of the mail server to their list using known lists of faked email addresses as the From: and ReplyTo: headers, but with HughesNet's HELO IP address. ISPs then subscribe to those lists and actively block anything on the list as suspected spammers.

It's a global problem and a constant battle; and not just with HughesNet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks to both of you for your response.

Does that mean that my e-mail address is out there and getting used from time to time to send spam?

I wish there was somethign we could do to any idiot that does this and all of the other malicous actions.

If I was to create a new e-mail address, would that help me out at all? Beleive it or not, I send out very few e-mails.

Thanks again for your expertise.

maratsade

No, it's more the network being out there and being flagged because some people are messing things up. It's not you, it's other people, and the ISPs flag the network, not your specific address.  @MarkJFine may have a much better explanation for this. 🙂

@maratsadehas it right, but more specifically, it's whatever the mail server's IP in the final Received: header that gets flagged. It's not the whole network/ISP, just any email that comes from that particular shared mail server.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks to the team for explaining what is happening. I do apprecviate that.

For the Hughes support team. Is there an ETA of when you can address and fix the account?

Thanks in advance

@Chargerdreamer,

Thank you for reaching out. The champions have given excellent and accurate info when it comes to why this is happening. While we do not have an ETA, I can assure you that this issue is being addressed every day until we have a permanent fix for this. I apologize for the inconvenience. What I can do is check with our engineers who manage the email servers, to see if there is a remedy we can perform on our side. I will respond to you once I hear something back. Thank you in advance for your patience. 

-Damian 

Damian,

Thank you very much for the response.

I will am looking forward to the fix

It has been 2 weeks since I have submitted this issue and my Hughes.net emails are still being prevented from sending due to suspected spam content,

Again, this is the third time this year it has ocurred and I have been told by the experts on this support team that there is nothing I can do to prevent this and it is not caused by anything that I have done.

Is this the correct avenue that I should use to get my email sending previliges reinstated?

Thanks again to those trying to fix

maratsade

This is the right venue, and hopefully @Damian can give you an update about this soon. 

@Chargerdreamer,

Thank you for posting again. This issue has been escalated and I am awaiting a repsonse. Our engineering team is very busy with many different projects to improve service, but I can assure you your issue has been accepted and is being actively reviewed. 

-Damian 

@Damian ,

Tried to send out some e-mails yesterday and to my surprise they arrived at the destination without being bounced back.  Yeah!!!!!!!

I was wondering if something was done to fix this or if it was a matter of timing that after 4 weeks my account gets reset.

Thanks again for looking into this with your team.