Hughesnet Community

ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happytexann
Senior

ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

PLEASE HughesNet, listen to your existing customer base. STOP THE DARNED ADVERTISING to sell more and further degrade what most of us in the community are paying for. FIX what is broken with the whole system on Gen5 and try to make satisfied customers using those advertising dollars on technical support! Most all threads in this community have SLOW to non-existant speeds between 4-10PM, it's a trend. Concentate your financial efforts on helping us rather than trying to load your customer base. Daytime speeds on my end are great - 4-10pm range from 40KBPS (yes, you read correctly) to 770KBPS. HELP US. @Liz

72 REPLIES 72
Liz

Hi happytexann,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. We can certainly help out, so I pulled up your account and ran remote diagnostics on your site.

Diagnostics are showing that the HughesNet equipment is working properly, but I'm seeing a potential issue on the home network side of things, so to eliminate that for troubleshooting, please connect a computer directly to the HughesNet modem and disable the wifi via your wifi settings (HT2000w manual for your reference). Then run 3 speed tests spaced 5 min apart on speedtest.net (or other preferred speed test site) and share your results here. We've moved away from testmy.net since they made a recent change on their site which affects test results.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz, thank you for your response - I am only working on my laptop at the moment and it doesn't have a port to allow me to connect directly to the modem - it interesting that you say not to use testmy.net as the reps I've spoken with on the phone in the past week have all told me to use it, so I have been keeping hourly track of both testmy.net and the hughesnet speed test.

My destop won't be ready. until late this week. I will connect it. The modem is plugged directly into the wall - and from Jan 3-19th, the modem was plugged directly into the desktop and the speeds were the same as I am getting/recording now. But I will do as asked once my Mac desktop arrives.

What might be wrong with the wifi settings and maybe I can change them?

And, in reading the KB article you kindly attached, I see exactly what the installer told us:

"Computer requirements:The HT2000W satellite modem can be used with any device that supports Internet Protocol (IP) and has a 10/100 BaseT Ethernet LAN port. Typically, the modem is connected to a customer's computer. However, the HT2000W is self-hosted; it does not require a computer for any of its functions."

What I am wondering is if it's self-hosted, why it must be connected to a computer for diagnostics and/or speed tests?

I just tried to register on speedtest.net to record my results -- and there's a glitch in their system with the re-captcha settings and 3 tries wouldn't allow me to register. All you need to do is go in my hughesnet account and look at the speed tests I've taken there -- I think you'll see the trend.

And now, the last 3 speed tests I took on hughesnet are not showing up in the history...just don't understand.

Screenshot 2018-01-23 17.59.27.png

Good morning happytexann,

Thank you for your speed tests, these will do. It's best to do speed tests while directly connected to the modem so we can get the most accurate results, we don't want the router or other wifi-related issues interfering with the tests.

As for what the diagnostics showed regarding wifi performance, although all six of your devices have a good signal strength, there seems to be an issue with wifi coverage. This suggests that there is interference, distance issues, or an issue with the router itself. Before worrying about your home network we need to determine the speeds you're getting directly from the modem. I look forward to the speed tests once you have a machine connected via LAN cable to the HughesNet modem.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you @Liz - what's difficult for me to understand is that the speeds are very good during the day using the same modem and wi-fi - how could the settings or interference with the modem result is such good day speeds and such poor ones at night? Nothing changes between the two times of day. I chose the 30GB plan, have paid almost $86/mo for January and will be billed again for February - and since I can't use the data I've paid for in the evenings (based on a previous plan with another provider) will HughesNet refund a portion of my plan until I have access to the data I have paid for?

Or at least give us a FREE month until the situation is resolved?

Hi,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Got the PM and thank you for your kind assistance in resolving my concerns - Roseann

@happytexann wrote:

Thank you @Liz - what's difficult for me to understand is that the speeds are very good during the day using the same modem and wi-fi - how could the settings or interference with the modem result is such good day speeds and such poor ones at night? Nothing changes between the two times of day.

It has nothing to do with your wifi. Hughes simply insists on a lot of busywork before they can do anything.

What beam are you on?

Where do I locate what beam I am on please?

Screenshot 2018-01-26 11.28.41.png

@GW - we are on beam 76, if you scroll down you'll see the image I posted with all the info about our HN, thanks so much for trying to help.

Thanks. I hope they can do somerthing for your poor primetime performance other than tell you another satellite will be constructed one of these days.

The performance on my beam 107 is slowly and steadily going down the tubes but thankfully, it's not a far gone as yours.

@GW@Liz -- and then there's good 'ol FRIDAY NIGHT...THIS JUST IN!

Screenshot 2018-01-26 20.01.37.png

@Liz, @GW, PLEASE HELP!!!!! I've been posting my slow speeds so it's OBVIOUS I AM UNABLE to do much of anything - much less streaming, etc. I HAVE BEEN running the speed tests fairly regularly - and yesterday, I was at 42% usage and today am at 10% - WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH MY DATA? I know @Liz that you issued me some data tokens, but I had 86% of my data on the 20th of the month - what the HECK???????? I need help and fast, I am not willing to buy data tokens to continue to check the speed if that's what's draining my data. I put glasswire on my computer and there's just nothing connected except this computer and Dish -- and it's not using wifi! PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Screenshot 2018-01-27 16.17.53.png