Hughesnet Community

ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happytexann
Senior

ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

PLEASE HughesNet, listen to your existing customer base. STOP THE DARNED ADVERTISING to sell more and further degrade what most of us in the community are paying for. FIX what is broken with the whole system on Gen5 and try to make satisfied customers using those advertising dollars on technical support! Most all threads in this community have SLOW to non-existant speeds between 4-10PM, it's a trend. Concentate your financial efforts on helping us rather than trying to load your customer base. Daytime speeds on my end are great - 4-10pm range from 40KBPS (yes, you read correctly) to 770KBPS. HELP US. @Liz

72 REPLIES 72

@Liz, @GW -- The rapid data loss must have started when I plugged in the darned modem to the Mac - so now I'm going to uplug it from the computer and go back to wireless -- see if that changes anything. Please help.

There's not much point in running more speed tests now. You already know it's broken. As for the huge drain, did your mac get stuck in some sort of bad update loop?

You can get hooked into some bad websites that will drain data like that. DHL International tracking is one. It will burn gigabytes a day simply being open in a tab. Make sure you're not connected to something like that.

Open this in a tab and kinda watch what goes on when you're not really doing anything. This shows data usage by the hour. http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm. You can usually refresh the page at 20 to 40 minutes after the hour and see the previous hour so it's nowhere close to real time but gives you a lot of good info after the fact. Looks like this.

Edit: You can go backwards through time and see the charts for previous days. This may give you a lot of insight into what happened.

hourly.JPG

@GW - thank you so much for your thoughtful response - I will follow your advise, I installed Glasstire on my PC - is it available for Mac? Unplugging the ethernet cable may help as a read another post about that. I will stop doing speedtests. Here are some screenshots from my data history over the last couple of days. It's incomprehensible to me, when it takes me 3-4 minutes to even open this page because of slow internet speed as well as all the tests I've run how ANYONE (@LIZ maybe you can help here) in their right mind could think I possibly used that data, that is even more frustrating to me than the slow speeds -- that I've figured out is OVERSELLING and weekend use is RIDICULOUS -- we can't even surf the internet. Alexa is unplugged, only plugged in for 10 minutes since Jan 3 - everything that is being posted here I am trying to read to make sure it's not me. It is not, I am convinced but I want my darned DATA BACK!

Screenshot 2018-01-27 19.39.17.pngScreenshot 2018-01-27 19.39.58.pngScreenshot 2018-01-27 19.40.31.png

My data usage increased the day I unboxed my new Mac - and plugged it into the router directly - I also downloaded a bunch of APPS for the new Mac, but nothing alarming or abnormal, I looked at many days in comparison -- thanks @GW for the information and link -- it will help!

I don't know anything about mac software or what will work with a mac.

It may seem to take almost forever to do anything at 20 Kbps but during those times when your data is flowing at 45 Mbps, it transfers frightfully fast. For instance, last month I downloaded a 12 GB file in around 20 minutes at 7 AM CST.

About all you can do now is study the info you have available and figure out how it happened and when it happened to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Good morning @Liz - here are speed tests from HughesNet AND testmy.net - which are both very similar - PLEASE NOTE that the hughes net speed tests are 2 hours behind my actual CST - so if it says 4pm, it's really 6pm. Clearly they are almost identical except for the times. Screaming 45MPBS at 8AM this morning, up from 48KBPS last night - I would tend to believe that traffic may be the cause or root of the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9awgt1ugem3bmr/happytexann-testmy.net-stats.csv?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cox2h1y0st8rn8c/Numbers.app.zip?dl=0

Let me know when you've had a chance to review the files. Thanks!

Yes, speedtest.net, utilized globally to determine internet speeds around the world is completely useless according to Hughesnet. Keep in mind, when you perform a "Hughesnet Speedtest" the numbers you obtain are from your transmission site (home, office, etc.) up to the satellite and back down the to "Hughesnet" ground reception location and not to any known site you are attempting to communicate with. The company is selling us speed based on that figure and not real world numbers. When you have a ping of over 1100 due to that 44,600 round-robin transmission, and then add the time from their ground station to your ultimate destination, it is no where close to what they advertise.

Nothing that a concerned group of users couldn't organize legally to overcome.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@secondgoatrope wrote:

Yes, speedtest.net, utilized globally to determine internet speeds around the world is completely useless according to Hughesnet. Keep in mind, when you perform a "Hughesnet Speedtest" the numbers you obtain are from your transmission site (home, office, etc.) up to the satellite and back down the to "Hughesnet" ground reception location and not to any known site you are attempting to communicate with. The company is selling us speed based on that figure and not real world numbers. When you have a ping of over 1100 due to that 44,600 round-robin transmission, and then add the time from their ground station to your ultimate destination, it is no where close to what they advertise.

Nothing that a concerned group of users couldn't organize legally to overcome.

First, it's a "round-robin" transmission of 89,200 miles, and that's approximate, being dependent on one's location. 

Secondly, the latency is generally around 600-700ms, not 1100ms.  

Thirdly, Speedtest has never been called, nor considered, useless by HughesNet.  Testmy.net has been requested for troubleshooting purposes for some time now because it has been the most accurate, with this being due to the way it handles the latency, but nowhere has HughesNet said, nor intimated, that Speedtest is useless for personal speed testing purposes of their service.   

Lastly, because the ground based infrastructure in place exceeds the speed of the service itself, just as it does for most ISPs, what would be the point of basing HughesNet's speed tests on the throughput to a remote server?  There isn't one.  So whether what you're claiming is even true makes zero difference.  This would be like saying one can't accept the top listed speed of an automobile because it was tested on a closed track that's owned by the manufacturer rather than testing it on the Autobahn.    

Screenshot 2018-01-24 08.12.56.png

Good. morning @Liz, here's the chart from speedtest.net over the past 48 hours, which pretty much parallels the hughesnet.com speed tests. When I ran speedtest.net last night at the same time the results were VASTLY different and not a reflection of the slow speed indicated on both the other test sites as well as difficulty getting on the internet or streaming. It's just NOT POSSIBLE past 4PM until 10PM -- and Saturdays and Sundays - well just forget about it. Thanks for looking into this for me.

@Liz - ok my computer is plugged into the modem directly - 

Good morning happytexann,

Thank you for the update. I just needed this: https://testmy.net/quickstats/happytexann So, you no longer have to post links, just let me know when you've run new tests so we can go to that link to view the testing history. If you could please do one more evening of tests and we're good for now. I'm sending you tokens for the speed tests.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

longacre
Spectator

Thank you for this post.  Unlike cable who have a physical limit of how many accounts they can sell per mile of cable HughesNet can sell millions, not limit accept the band width.  The more accounts the slower it will be and I cannot imagine what the fix will be accept to put up more satellites.  I am thinking about going back to dish and forget about streaming, I live in the country and do not have other choices.  I am certainly not going to keep calling and having them run me through all the tests to tell me what it obvious.  I doubt they will ever admit to the real problem.  My only recourse is to not waist money money.

happytexann
Senior

As I have reported in other threads on the forum - our service absolutely STINKS at night, 43MBPS during the day this week, at night 60kbps-3MBPS but mostly in the 1-2MPBS range and then comes FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY - when this is what we get...consistently. @Liz, @GW anyone want to chime in and suggest it's NOT congestion on the Beam or satellite -- 

Screenshot 2018-01-26 20.01.37.png

It's not congestion. It's the fault of cosmic debris encroaching on your line of sight. It gets a lot worse on the weekends because of the space cooties.

As you can see in my graph, my beam doesn't have the cooties yet but they're getting closer all the time.

Fri 1-26.JPG

@GW - I am not technical - is it really space debris or am I gullible?

Screenshot 2018-01-26 21.05.38.png

@happytexann wrote:

@GW - I am not technical - is it really space debris or am I gullible?

I'm sorry. That was pure BS.

@GW - but it started a fun topic in the forum! Go SEE SPACE COOTIES headline

Well, it is as reasonable and realistic as some of the nonsense I've heard from tech support over the years.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@GW wrote:

It's not congestion. It's the fault of cosmic debris encroaching on your line of sight. It gets a lot worse on the weekends because of the space cooties.

Interesting.  I always thought it was due to the people who live near me being home during the evenings and weekends and, therefore, the air in the area being more dense because of it.  It makes it so much harder for the data packets to squeeze through the air when it's more dense, ya know.  😛    

@GabeU, @Liz@GW: Good morning - I sent a request via email to customer service about the 18.0GB data tokens that are available. Are those tokens that are available for purchase OR are they the data tokens that @Liz provided to me. If they are those that @Liz provided for me, do they remain active month to month if you don't use them in the month they were received?

Screenshot 2018-01-29 09.02.37.png