cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: ENOUGH - stop advertising and START ASSISTING your existing CUSTOMERS.

@secondgoatrope wrote:

Yes, speedtest.net, utilized globally to determine internet speeds around the world is completely useless according to Hughesnet. Keep in mind, when you perform a "Hughesnet Speedtest" the numbers you obtain are from your transmission site (home, office, etc.) up to the satellite and back down the to "Hughesnet" ground reception location and not to any known site you are attempting to communicate with. The company is selling us speed based on that figure and not real world numbers. When you have a ping of over 1100 due to that 44,600 round-robin transmission, and then add the time from their ground station to your ultimate destination, it is no where close to what they advertise.

Nothing that a concerned group of users couldn't organize legally to overcome.

First, it's a "round-robin" transmission of 89,200 miles, and that's approximate, being dependent on one's location. 

Secondly, the latency is generally around 600-700ms, not 1100ms.  

Thirdly, Speedtest has never been called, nor considered, useless by HughesNet.  Testmy.net has been requested for troubleshooting purposes for some time now because it has been the most accurate, with this being due to the way it handles the latency, but nowhere has HughesNet said, nor intimated, that Speedtest is useless for personal speed testing purposes of their service.   

Lastly, because the ground based infrastructure in place exceeds the speed of the service itself, just as it does for most ISPs, what would be the point of basing HughesNet's speed tests on the throughput to a remote server?  There isn't one.  So whether what you're claiming is even true makes zero difference.  This would be like saying one can't accept the top listed speed of an automobile because it was tested on a closed track that's owned by the manufacturer rather than testing it on the Autobahn.    

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior

Unacceptable performance PLUS serious DATA DRAIN in first 24 hours of new data period!

@Liz, @GabeU, @GW,  -- this is insanse. EVERYTHING is disconnected from WiFi - except two desktop computers with no streaming of videos on Facebook (set to NOT automatically show video) - no Netflix, no NADA!!!! And in the first 24 hours of a new month (it took 15 days to deplete this much data last month, my FIRST month with HughesNet) -- FREAKIN' slow speeds on Satuday and Sunday during the day and night -- and still no resolution to the problems. Glasswire installed -- I am nearly to the end of my short rope with HughesNet. Wonder why anyone would subscribe to this lousy performing internet service provider...RIGHT, we're rural and don't have many choices. UGH! My thinking is, at the slow speeds, when we do get on the internet it's pulling data like a mad hatter as I think I read in another thread to me -- what is the answer. I am beyond frustrated. OH and the last test that didn't show up was 1.31MPPS....

Screenshot 2018-02-04 13.49.45.pngScreenshot 2018-02-04 13.52.58.png

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: Unacceptable performance PLUS serious DATA DRAIN in first 24 hours of new data period!

@happytexann

You mentioned two desktops...

What platform are you using on these desktop computers?

If Windows 10, you may want to check and see when the last Windows 10 Update downloaded.

(click on your settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>View Installed Update history)

This could very well be the culprit.

I know Microsoft released some new updates this past week...not sure what size they were, but if they are anything like previous updates, they are quite hefty and unless you have manually changed your preferences as to how you want your computer to download these types of updates, these will automatically download, without your permission.

Many of the Window 10 updates are in excess of 1G..and if the update fails to download at any point, it will attempt to re-download again...from the beginning, so a 1G update could result in several GB's.

You can verify this by going into your Glasswire app...

If this is the problem, you can change your settings to a 'metered connection' and then download these types of Updates during your bonus zone...

Highlighted

Re: Unacceptable performance PLUS serious DATA DRAIN in first 24 hours of new data period!

@happytexann

If you haven't restarted the modem since the data was used, take a look at the following page to see what is currently connected, and what was connected.  

I give this info because sometimes people have things connected that they don't realize.  

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Tutor

@bare65 wrote:

@happytexann

You mentioned two desktops...

What platform are you using on these desktop computers?

If Windows 10, you may want to check and see when the last Windows 10 Update downloaded.

(click on your settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>View Installed Update history)

This could very well be the culprit.

I know Microsoft released some new updates this past week...not sure what size they were, but if they are anything like previous updates, they are quite hefty and unless you have manually changed your preferences as to how you want your computer to download these types of updates, these will automatically download, without your permission.

Many of the Window 10 updates are in excess of 1G..and if the update fails to download at any point, it will attempt to re-download again...from the beginning, so a 1G update could result in several GB's.

You can verify this by going into your Glasswire app...

If this is the problem, you can change your settings to a 'metered connection' and then download these types of Updates during your bonus zone...

I did the Jan 31 updates on two W10 laptops this morning. That cost around 750 MB.

Highlighted
Senior

Good morning @GabeU and @GW -- the other desktop is a Windows 7 desktop. I found a bit of the usage was from backing up our website to dropbox occurs at 6PM - and no way to change that except to upgrade the UpdraftPlus software on the website end to $70/year. Is there a way to make the iMac a meterered connection to set when downloads occur? Here is the screenshot of the devices - the three phones that were connected were on 2/4/2018 during the Super Bowl (guests). And interesting, they left the house for their home at 8:00PMCST yet shows they didn't disconnect until 2/5 - they live 20 miles from here.

Screenshot 2018-02-05 09.03.41.png

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

You may want to edit out the SAN/Acct# from that image to avoid possible identity theft.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

Hi happytexann,

Thank you for the latest speed tests. I've re-run diagnostics on your site and see that the HughesNet equipment is still working normally. Let me escalate your case to engineering to see if they have any insight.

Regarding your data usage concerns, the community is leading you in the right direction, GlassWire is super helpful.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted
Senior

Hi @MarkJFine - can you tell me how to edit out the SAN at this point or remove the image from the post?

Highlighted

@happytexann

"And interesting, they left the house for their home at 8:00PMCST yet shows they didn't disconnect until 2/5 - they live 20 miles from here."

The System Control Center's time is set to UTC, so you need to subtract between five and eight hours, depending on your time zone, to get your particular time.