Hughesnet Community

Early Termination Fee.. 2 year contract... unauthorized access to billing and personal information

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel Sue Faus

Early Termination Fee.. 2 year contract... unauthorized access to billing and personal information

I got my service beginning of 9/15 I believe. I created the account in my name Rachel Fausett and set up billing in my husbands credit card. I was not told that this was going to be an auto pay every month... I thought I was going to make a one time payment. I have a few issues with everything... I'm going to break them down to address each one individually.
1) the account was only in MY name and I used a card under my husbands name to pay. I wasn't informed that this was going to be saved and auto drafted every month.
2) I was the primary and ONLY account holder and you ran an inquiry on my husbands credit for the equipment. That was not authorized by my husband or me.
3) Internet didn't work and I trouble shooter a few times ... I couldn't even get my assignments for school done without Hotspotting my phone which led to my reason for cancellation
4) the early termination fees were sent to a collection agency in my husbands name when he isn't even on the account!!!!
5) it wasn't until I cancelled that I was told that if I wasn't happy with service the first 30 days was a trial and I should've cancelled then. Nobody told me this or I would have and now I have to pay a BULL fee because nobody could tell me that
6) the false advertisement needs to be worked on because it's not unlimited. It's not high speed. And you rope people into a 2 year contract and make money off of the early termination fees.
7) you had no right to withdraw every month or post on my husbands credit or send a debt in his name. Because no one told us about it. Please listen to our past calls.
20 REPLIES 20
Rachel Sue Faus

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Early Termination Fee.. 2 year contract... unauthorized access to billing and per....

I got my service beginning of 9/15 I believe. I created the account in my name Rachel Fausett and set up billing in my husbands credit card. I was not told that this was going to be an auto pay every month... I thought I was going to make a one time payment. I have a few issues with everything... I'm going to break them down to address each one individually.
1) the account was only in MY name and I used a card under my husbands name to pay. I wasn't informed that this was going to be saved and auto drafted every month.
2) I was the primary and ONLY account holder and you ran an inquiry on my husbands credit for the equipment. That was not authorized by my husband or me.
3) Internet didn't work and I trouble shooter a few times ... I couldn't even get my assignments for school done without Hotspotting my phone which led to my reason for cancellation
4) the early termination fees were sent to a collection agency in my husbands name when he isn't even on the account!!!!
5) it wasn't until I cancelled that I was told that if I wasn't happy with service the first 30 days was a trial and I should've cancelled then. Nobody told me this or I would have and now I have to pay a BULL fee because nobody could tell me that
6) the false advertisement needs to be worked on because it's not unlimited. It's not high speed. And you rope people into a 2 year contract and make money off of the early termination fees.
7) you had no right to withdraw every month or post on my husbands credit or send a debt in his name. Because no one told us about it. Please listen to our past calls.
Amanda

Hi Rachel Sue,

We're very sorry about this whole experience and would love to help you get all of this fixed right away. The first thing we need to do to begin addressing the concerns you have is to locate your account. We can do that by using a recent case number or the serial number from your modem if you still have it in your possession. If your sales call from last year is still available, you can count on the fact that we will have it pulled and reviewed. Once you can provide us the information requested, then I can get started.

Thanks,
Amanda
Bill St Jean

Rachel, I disputed all ETFS and won. Once my Crédit card company read hughesnet's online reviews, They TRIED to charge me inflated ETFs but had to return the funds. Was told this will work on collection agencies. Although, they haven't attempted that.
Rachel Sue Faus

I will look when I get home.. if it helps my zip code is 72045..
Rachel Sue Faus

My zip code is 72045 if that helps. I am not home at the moment
Rachel Sue Faus

We had to call the company and get them to block payment from hughes net because they wouldn't delete my card info unless I replaced it with a different card. How crappy is that?????
Amanda

That did help - thank you! I am currently listening to your sales call.

Thanks,
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Rachel,

I was able to listen to your sales call and did find a few things. Our sales rep did discuss with you about the data allowances (therefore making it known the service is not unlimited), 2-8AM bonus times which we re-confirmed after you asked about it and confirmed the 2 year commitment is valid on all plans on our service. I am concerned that the rep did not confirm with your husband that you had permission to use his card when making the payment. This is not right and we will be addressing this with the agent's supervisor immediately. 

Since the card was in your husband's name, he is technically the one paying the bill and will be the one receiving any billing issues related to the account via mail. We have switched the billing to invoice only, removed his card and placed your name on the billing information. Any further billing correspondences should be in your name now. Please visit http://legal.hughes.com for more information about agreements to auto-drafting and automatic payments.

Thanks,
Amanda
Rachel Sue Faus

Sorry just saw your reply. I am still wondering why Hughes Net ran a credit inquiry on my husband. If he's not on the account then how did they get his SS# to run it. If you listened to the sales call then you know that I didn't give that info so do I need to sue for hughes net illegally running an inquiry??
And I am still wondering also why I wasn't informed of the 30 day trial so I could opt out before the 30 days was up. Aren't you supposed to inform people of that BEFORE the 30 days is up?
Amanda

Hi Rachel Sue

At the end of the call you provide a social security number starting with 3 and ending with 2. Who's social was that? And no, our sales teams are not obligated to advertise a 30 day trial period.

Thanks
Amanda
Rachel Sue Faus

That is my SS# ... I have called and complained about it multiple times and they kept telling me that I had to provide it for them to run an inquiry... but I knew that I didnt. They didn't do anything to my credit but ran my husbands and I have no idea how. That is HIGHLY illegal. They wouldn't listen to the calls to see if I provided it or not. I guess since I didn't looks like hughes net is at fault. NoT me.

What's the point of telling people 6 months after they signed up that there was a 30 day trial at the beginning if you aren't going to advertise it? Might as well not have it if you aren't going to inform people about it. Kind of crooked.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Most companies do a credit check of the paying party member and not just the one on the bill.

and I used a card under my husbands name to pay

No need for a SS# to do a credit check on a paying party, the big 3 will give out partial information if an address and name match.  It's done more or less to see if a customer is a cheapskate and will try to ditch and avoid payments.  But hey, everyone is a standup good person willing to pay, right?

That aside, there is no reason to advertise, "Hey, don't like us?! Cancel with in 30 days to avoid an ETF!"  Sorry, but get out of disneyland, I haven't seen a company in 20 years that had such a way out of contract, advertise it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sorry, but get out of disneyland, I haven't seen a company in 20 years that had such a way out of contract, advertise it.
I find as a rule in general, one has to ask about any grace periods of any kind. Never been to Disneyland.  : )
Amanda

Hi Rachel

Thank you for confirming. We can definitely bring this up with the seller and see what was done regarding the agent allowing you to use his card.

Thanks
Amanda
Rachel Sue Faus

You're kidding right??? You've never heard of 30 day trial? 60 day trial? Get off my post if you aren't going to be helpful and just be rude like the rest of hughes net is.
Amanda, I would like to see something done because this is wrong. I will be reporting to the Attorney Generals office, FTC, BBB, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and honestly anyone else I can find because I'm tired of Hughes NET screwing people over. Honestly if something isn't done it looks like we have grounds to sue for violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act because Hughes NET did not have authorization to report to his credit. We will be contacting a lawyer in a few days
Rachel Sue Faus

And maybe I'm missing something but if I'm the only person on the account, I give my SS# , who has the right to run an inquiry on my husbands credit???
Rachel Sue Faus

Sure you can find it from the payment info, but what gives Hughes NET the RIGHT to do that? That's what I'm wondering. There is no justification there and there was only permission from me to access my credit. There was no permission from my husband to run his credit.
Amanda

Hi Rachel Sue,

We received word back from the sales team and the sales agent who did the credit check is now no longer with the company. We are very sorry for the miscommunication and we do have something we can do about this. I am going to make your post private so that we can discuss more details which may include sensitive information. I can have someone from our corporate office reach out to you on Monday to get started on removing the credit inquiry if that is okay with you?

Thanks
Amanda
Rachel Sue Faus

That would be great. Thank you.
Amanda

Hi Rachel

Sorry, we've been especially busy today. I do not think we'll be able to get this done today, but we should have someone available tomorrow. Just to make sure, your husband would be available to talk to us tomorrow? Is there a particularly best time to reach you?

Thank you & our apologies again
Amanda