cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Termination fee...tomfoolery

Early Termination fee...tomfoolery

I setup service with Hughes net in June.  In moving from DE to GA I was unable to find internet in the area of my home. Hughes net claimed to offer services that would allow us to stream and have 60GB of data.  We explained what we used service for- I work from home and take classes online.  We may stream a video or two a week. We didn't move into the house fulltime and actually start using the service until August.  

Our first week in the house, we blew through our allotment.  I called customer service; that guy informed me of how the internet service really works---its unlimited - but only between hours of 8pm and 2am  WHAT!!!?!?!?!  If I were told that upon signing up I wouldn't have signed up.  He gave me 6GB and said that should help with getting you through to next cycle.  At this point we were only using internet for school and work---which is really logging into a system and completing assignments (a lot of sitting on internet) and sending emails (not with large attachments).  I had to use my phones wifi before the end of the cycle.  The internet was slow and I was not able to work efficiently.  I cancelled service on 9/4. 

I was told that I would be charged a early termination fee and still proceeded to cancel.  Over a month and half has passed and all of a sudden, I get a surprise charge from them. At first I think its for not sending back equipment, which I did, but that its something that can be fixed.  This is what I was told by the first representative.  He goes away and works on refunding the fee. I'm on hold patiently for about 4minutes when he returns and says the fee is actually for early termination.  I ask, when did I receive notice that this fee was going to be withdrawn from my account? He says when you cancelled we said we CAN charge your account for any unpaid fees.  I said, "understood" , but doesn't law require you to notify when that draft is going to withdrawn, you know like the actually date?  Can anyone help with this?  I'm already preparing my letter for BBB and calling attorney tomorrow regarding this matter.  

1.  You market service incorrectly---it is not unlimited, unlimited means not time restrictions either UNLESS you state those times at sign up...which wasn't given to me.  Since you record all calls, please feel free to go back and listen to my original call to sign up.  

2. You speak of the disclosures that we agree to be charged a fee for early termination.  - A. the early termination is WRONG because the service agreement, on your end was not honored  B. The actually fee aside, the problem is, is the improper and illegal way of which you withdrew the money. Doesn't the fair debt collection practice act state that you can't go into a bank account without permission?  I did not grant permission for a charge to be pulled on the day it was pulled...which is my biggest issue right now. 

My invoices do not state that the amount due was to be charged on a certain day, so why do you have the right to just pull money whenever?  I was told a few different dates by the reps I spoke to today.  But if I cancelled on 9/4, why is the payment not being pulled until 10/24? That's almost two months later?  Also, where can I see a printed copy of these disclosures? 
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Early Termination fee...tomfoolery

Excuse me that time allotment period is supposed to be 2am- 8am.  

Based on my knowledge of the https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-... several regulations were broken.  

If you were really told that you had unlimited data between 2 and 8 AM, then you were really lied to. With Satellite, there is no unlimited data.
Do you have options other than Satellite? If so, why in the world would you have signed up for Satellite in the first place???

Another option moved into the area and I am now with them.  I swear to you... that's what I was told.  And you know how you drive around and see little posters about "call for internet, tv, phone, etc...?" most of those in the area were Hughes net sub-providers and when I'd call, they'd say the same thing about the cap to service and the unlimited usage.  That's what they say, but when you ask for clarification unlimited just means access...it doesn't mean speed or actually usability.  My first issue with them was never resolved---being told I was getting "this" and getting "that".  My brother warned me, but at that point we were already in the contract. 

I'm attempting to let it go, but I really don't have the money to throw away when I don't feel 100% responsible for the disconnect.  

Here is the Early Termination Fees Informational Page, Select the time period you subscribed to HN
http://legal.hughesnet.com/ForYourHome.cfm

And Here is The Subscriber Agreement: http://legal.hughesnet.com/Home.cfm

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Andreatx, there is a thing as unlimited satellite internet, but its pretty slow and will cost you over 10 times what your currently paying for not unlimited service. 
Assistant Professor

Technically speaking, HughesNet is unlimited as the user is not totally cut off or charged more, just that once you go over the plan allowance then speed is reduced to ~150 kbps which most people find pretty much unusable. Newer plans do have the Smart Browsing feature which allows for basic browsing with no noticeable impact. At least that is how it is supposed to work. Definitely should not be told it is unlimited though, it is a capped service.

There are some customers who have buyer's remorse a month or two after getting satellite service. It is not like cable that's for sure. Then if they feel they were misled by the salesperson it adds insult to injury.

The official reps here are very good about working something out if the call review shows the customer was misled in any way.

smallga, I am sorry this has happened to you.  The mods on this board are different than the service department you spoke with.  They will take the time to try to help you wade through this.  I believe you had a problem with what you were told, it seems to be an ongoing issue Hughes needs to work on getting resolved quickly.  I agree charges should not be taken out without prior notice, that is how an account gets bounced.  Give the mods a chance to get on here and address the issue.  I hope it all comes out alright for you.

Good morning smallga,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, we'd like to get to the bottom of this and see what we can do for you. I'll make a sales call review request to determine if the sales rep disclosed our Fair Access Policy to you when you were sold the service.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Just a thought. I, too, was hit with a withdrawal from my account without my knowledge and/or permission (I will say it was not from Hughes Net, but it was on the same basic principle as Hughes Net's and many other satellite or service provider agreements). You can dispute that transaction (with most banks -- I did with mine). And I won that dispute. Of course, the monies charged to me are now in collections with the company, but it was worth it to reinstate my good standing with my bank and get back my overdraft fees and the $391.00 that I did not even have in the account. That is one way you can get your money back if Hughes Net will not provide you with a refund. Just food for thought. I did not have to wait months to get it either, it was back within 3 business days. Just because you provide a company with your debit or credit card number, does not in fact give them the right to jerk money out of your account anytime they please. I am sure I will hear people say otherwise, but if that were true, my bank would not have put the money that was not there in the first place back or given back the overdraft fees.  Good luck!